Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 10-20-2018, 02:58 PM   #21
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

'Locked node camping' is generally defined as being more than one locked node away from the 'front'.
Although on small maps (such as Tanks-A-Lot) the spawn killing rule is difficult to apply.
Same on Masterbath
Old 10-20-2018, 03:04 PM   #22
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Hold on.

Clarification please, Admins.

So, say a person grabs a flier in Minus, heads to the enemy 1/2 node immediately and starts killing them while they are linking ("Xexxing")--deserving of a kick?
Say a person hoverboards to enemy base and spawn kills the mino -- also an offense?
Goes to a locked node and steals dragon while they are linking -- an offense?

It seems lately those rules have been relaxed and things described in that thread happen regularly. All those things I descibed above happen on a regular basis--and while douchy they can help you team.

Now with respect to "going behind enemy lines" should be nothing wrong with that, take a hoverboard push a mino around, kill the nuke tank, steal a dragon..all valid ways of helping your team...

Especially when its damn PPCs in minus spamming half way across the map out of sight (I wish the ppcs were gone from that map... sigh)
Old 10-21-2018, 09:56 PM   #23
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Yeah the PPCs are lame. Tonight I saw someone spamming from node 2 all the way to the opposite core.
Old 10-22-2018, 11:37 AM   #24
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Hold on.

Clarification please, Admins.

So, say a person grabs a flier in Minus, heads to the enemy 1/2 node immediately and starts killing them while they are linking ("Xexxing")--deserving of a kick?
Say a person hoverboards to enemy base and spawn kills the mino -- also an offense?
Goes to a locked node and steals dragon while they are linking -- an offense?

It seems lately those rules have been relaxed and things described in that thread happen regularly. All those things I descibed above happen on a regular basis--and while douchy they can help you team.
Spawn killing is and has always been a bit of a murky gray area and comes in different flavors. Pooty, the things you mentioned above have been discussed ad nauseam on the forum and the conclusion seems to be that all those tactics are legit and non-punishable, though some find them a little douchey, especially the Xexxing example.

But, all your examples are very different from what Charlie Sharter admits he's doing and the stuff Pam was doing that eventually got her banned. Repeatedly going to the core or a locked node deep in enemy territory and destroying unoccupied vehicles, as Flounder pointed out, will get you kicked. Continuing the behavior will eventually get you banned.

And I argue this point all the damn time but it seems to fall on deaf ears... spawn killing of any kind MAY be helpful to your team, but I contend that aggressively attacking or building available nodes is ALWAYS far more helpful to your team and more likely to result in a win. To me the reason is obvious, but I'll spell it out. While spawn killing vehicles might slow the enemy down, it won't stop aggressive players from advancing. Vehicles re-spawn, often quickly, and at multiple nodes. Good players warp node to node looking for a fast vehicle to get to the next node, or a powerful one like the mino to wreak some havoc. A team of aggressive node attackers will always overcome a team full of spawn killing douchebags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Now with respect to "going behind enemy lines" should be nothing wrong with that, take a hoverboard push a mino around, kill the nuke tank, steal a dragon..all valid ways of helping your team...

Especially when its damn PPCs in minus spamming half way across the map out of sight (I wish the ppcs were gone from that map... sigh)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with this... in fact it's smart play and definitely not spawn killing to take out or steal an active vehicle of any kind, regardless of where it is on the map.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:35 PM   #25
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
But, all your examples are very different from what Charlie Sharter admits he's doing and the stuff Pam was doing that eventually got her banned.
For Pam I always think back to a couple of rounds on Magic Isle. One time Pam drives one of the Minos up to the ridge facing our base and just sits there spawn killing... with no nodes even close to unlocking the core / early in the game. People on my team started to complain it on public was a dick move... and she was loving it. Basically griefing. My team was trying to kick vote her... but the other team wouldn't, basically accepting it. So next round I think... "ok, so this is how you want to play?" ... I do the exact same thing. Drive one of our Minos up to the ridge on their base and start spawn killing. NOW the other team starts to complain. So now both sides are now miserable, all the supers at the bases can't do anything and everyone has to use the less interesting vehicles. See, wasn't that fun game?

As I've mentioned before to some folks, it's about good sportsmanship. Yes, technically the game can be played many different ways. The game mechanics allow for all sorts of things to happen. But the OMNI folks can set the additional rules on how those mechanics can be used.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 10-23-2018, 06:16 PM   #26
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Pooty, the things you mentioned above have been discussed ad nauseam on the forum and the conclusion seems to be that all those tactics are legit and non-punishable

That seems to contradict what flounder said...so its ok to spawn kill mino or nuke tank, but kill a bunch of lesser vehicles at a locked node = ban?

I guess it comes back to the don't be a dick rule...I think we've all done something once or twice, especially out of frustration. Fly by take a few potshots = ok, camp the base roof with a dragon when primaries are locked = dick move. I suppose its the Pam, I am gonna do it no matter what, or who complains just getting the joy out of being a PITA. Roger does similar things, but IMO he's more sneaky and strategic, doing it to benefit his team vs. just want to be a douchebag.

It'd be nice to have a few more playing in game admins...I bet a few in game warnings would go a long way...or even a single game kick too cool off.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:42 PM   #27
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

While much of the conversation here has been on the topic of to what extent Charlie's presumed actions are against the rules, I had a short chat with Infected_Toe, who said that he's not an admin. Therefore, he couldn't have session kicked Charlie. He says he might have been the final person to kick vote him, but doesn't recall the exact event. He wouldn't mind being one, though, as he had admined for another clan server in the past.

Drawing lines on what is and isn't against the rules isn't much use when we don't have an active admin team. Hopefully Carpe/Analog will pay us a visit once again to nominate/crown some new ones, at which point rule breaking can once again be actionable against.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #28
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
While much of the conversation here has been on the topic of to what extent Charlie's presumed actions are against the rules, I had a short chat with Infected_Toe, who said that he's not an admin. Therefore, he couldn't have session kicked Charlie. He says he might have been the final person to kick vote him, but doesn't recall the exact event. He wouldn't mind being one, though, as he had admined for another clan server in the past.

Drawing lines on what is and isn't against the rules isn't much use when we don't have an active admin team. Hopefully Carpe/Analog will pay us a visit once again to nominate/crown some new ones, at which point rule breaking can once again be actionable against.
Ha, fat chance! We've been begging for them to knight some new admins for months, at least since May, with a direct plea to Carpe at one point. I even started a nomination list of players to get the ball rolling. I just don't think they give 2 shits about the ONS server anymore.
Old 10-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #29
dognuts
Just Registered

Quote:
Ha, fat chance! We've been begging for them to knight some new admins for months, at least since May, with a direct plea to Carpe at one point. I even started a nomination list of players to get the ball rolling. I just don't think they give 2 shits about the ONS server anymore.
I told everyone I'd be happy to be one if I was asked but nothing since. I'm on quite frequently but don't have experience on another server but I'm also not a dunce and would learn fairly quickly.
Old 10-27-2018, 10:21 AM   #30
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
that's a bit harsh.

working on it, technical issues currently.

Old 10-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #31
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
that's a bit harsh.

working on it, technical issues currently.
Agreed Carpe. I apologize for the harsh tone and crass wording... but the sentiment of feeling like the ONS server had been somewhat abandoned by admins the last few months was becoming more prevalent. I realize we don't always know what's going on behind the scenes, real life and so on. But, you've definitely made some moves the last few days to keep that sentiment from growing and to hopefully reverse it.

Mailbox, thanks for all your efforts in getting that ball rolling too.
Old 10-29-2018, 01:04 AM   #32
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Agreed Carpe. I apologize for the harsh tone and crass wording... but the sentiment of feeling like the ONS server had been somewhat abandoned by admins the last few months was becoming more prevalent. I realize we don't always know what's going on behind the scenes, real life and so on. But, you've definitely made some moves the last few days to keep that sentiment from growing and to hopefully reverse it.

Mailbox, thanks for all your efforts in getting that ball rolling too.

Not abandoned.
I am usually online daily but aliasing (badly) although I wasn't on that often during the last week due to vacation.

In fact, I just kicked Provert last night for idling in MTMU-Kamek.
Old 10-29-2018, 11:38 AM   #33
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
Not abandoned.
In fact, I just kicked Provert last night for idling in MTMU-Kamek.
NICE!

So that's why we were losing it badly, fukin idlers!
Old 10-31-2018, 03:29 PM   #34
provert
Just Registered

I was grabbing a soda. I came right back in :-P

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught