Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 09-11-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Default Rant

I've been playing this game since 2006. Unregistered shots are at an all time high. The game seems to need a tune up.
I know the techies are gonna say the hitbox is low on that vehicle or its small on this vehicle... can anyone fix the things that are messed up?
Here is a small list.
Players are hard enough to hit on foot, but you cant hit them with the bigger tanks if they are too close because the tanks wont shoot right beside them. The minigun turrets on the tanks are about useless against players on foot, but that same player can kill you in seconds with the bio gun. Its just not right in my opinion. The physics of the game seem off, we are going in the wrong direction.
Get rid of the bio damage modifier that lets you kill the Mino in seconds, and makes the Levi spin. PPC tanks, chuck them all FFS. What a killjoy that fuckin thing is. Would anyone care if it was gone?
How about badgers that aren't made of rubber ffs, you could play jacks with em. Look it up.
Hover boards, should not be able to move tanks. Who is making all these fucked up mods? Can we change these things? I think if we can fix these problems, the game would be more fun.
I know nobody gives a fuck if I stop playing here, but its getting close for me. Just saying.

I do appreciate the work that Anon, Binger, Lagzilla put in to making changes and producing new maps to keep things interesting, I wish someone would consider fixing these things that take the fun out of the game.

End
Old 09-12-2017, 11:22 AM   #2
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Netspeed_Tutorial_%28UT%29
Old 09-12-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
-Goose-
Getting there...

Well, it is pretty much a no win situation for 32p ONS.

Vehicles and spider mines consume a ton of bandwidth (relatively speaking), and they get data priority over alot of stuff. This means that when you have big fights with lots of vehicles and mines in the area, shit starts to disappear as bandwidth runs out and priorities take over.

To avoid shit disappearing, you lower the tick rate (or the server will forcibly drop it for you), but this (combined with broken movement speed of many vehicles) as you have noted, causes unregistered shots.

So yeah there are things you can do:

1) Up the tick rate
2) Don't put spider mines in maps
3) Don't put broken movement speed vehicles in maps (or even create them in the first place)

And they have the respective tradeoffs of:
1) Higher tick & bandwidth consumption means more of your shots will count, but you will also get hit by more invisible shit.
2) There is no downside to not using spider mines in maps
3) There is no downside to not using broken movement speed vehicles in maps

Re Mino and Bio damage - yep, it is a dumb gimmick
Re PPC - Yep, another anti-fun machine
Re Hoverboards - see broken movement speed rant

Potentially the worst thing I have seen recently is some sick fuck decided to make the reverse badger completely immune to knockback....

But yeah, expecting things to actually get better at this point... well.....
Old 09-12-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
Get rid of the bio damage modifier that lets you kill the Mino in seconds, and makes the Levi spin...

...Hover boards, should not be able to move tanks...
Here is a Mino without the Bio multiplier. I removed all the multipliers, which were all reducing damage besides the Bio one. I did get a warning but it compiled anyways and seems to work. I would like to do more to it but I'm gonna put this out there now because I will probably never get around to it again. That warning does worry me though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojr3cpgm4y...taurIIa.u?dl=0

I would like to be able to prevent the Mino from getting bumped around so easy. That seems so wrong for what is obviously supposed to a heavier tank than the Goliath. I don't know how to do that though. I would also like to give it some decent brakes.

btw, when testing this Mino edit I shot it with a full bio glob and it actually made the unmanned tank roll back. Sigh.
Old 09-12-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Here is a Mino without the Bio multiplier. I removed all the multipliers, which were all reducing damage besides the Bio one. I did get a warning but it compiled anyways and seems to work. I would like to do more to it but I'm gonna put this out there now because I will probably never get around to it again. That warning does worry me though.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ojr3cpgm4y...taurIIa.u?dl=0

I would like to be able to prevent the Mino from getting bumped around so easy. That seems so wrong for what is obviously supposed to a heavier tank than the Goliath. I don't know how to do that though. I would also like to give it some decent brakes.

btw, when testing this Mino edit I shot it with a full bio glob and it actually made the unmanned tank roll back. Sigh.
The one I edited on Arctic Junkyard has no Bio Multipliers, and no issues compiling.

Racer, would you be down with going back to stock vehicles for a week? They were balanced around the default weapons, so no Bio multipliers there. Plus, the hit reg issues would be much better. The biggest culprits for hit reg is the Mino vs. the Goliath Mk. II's, Dragon, and Hammerheads.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #6
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

re: Goose's post

QFT™

p.s. glad to see you still kickin' about brother Goose.

Old 09-12-2017, 10:43 PM   #7
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
The one I edited on Arctic Junkyard has no Bio Multipliers, and no issues compiling.

Racer, would you be down with going back to stock vehicles for a week? They were balanced around the default weapons, so no Bio multipliers there. Plus, the hit reg issues would be much better. The biggest culprits for hit reg is the Mino vs. the Goliath Mk. II's, Dragon, and Hammerheads.
I think that would be a great idea Turbo.

The badgers are another offender when it comes to unregistered hits, last night I shot a badger 3 times with the Mino, no damage.

Too many redeemers in maps too. There should only be 1 per round in any map. It should be hard but not impossible to get to, or just put it out there for the first person to grab. The mtmu map with the deemer tanks and the backpack redeemers and the redeemer that is at node 6, what a piece of frustration that is. As soon as you get a node up, there's a deemer comin to take it down from somewhere. Should change the name of that one to " This map Sucks". Or , or or "Fragsters Favorite"

Last edited by Mr.Crow; 09-13-2017 at 06:51 AM..
Old 09-12-2017, 11:00 PM   #8
Binger

Quote:

I must have missed that about the Mino on Arctic Junkyard. Glad you got it done with no issues.

Mino shots are unregistered more often on the Goliath MK. II than on the stock Goliath?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #9
hardspike
Server Admin

So you want to take a vehicle that has 2000 HP, an ungodly amount of firepower with huge splash damage, three seats... and make it HARDER to kill?
Old 09-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #10
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
I must have missed that about the Mino on Arctic Junkyard. Glad you got it done with no issues.

Mino shots are unregistered more often on the Goliath MK. II than on the stock Goliath?
I bet it is just not noticed as much as on the stock Goliath. It barely hits the broadside of a barn, so missing is not thought of as overly unusual...

A
Old 09-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #11
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
I bet it is just not noticed as much as on the stock Goliath. It barely hits the broadside of a barn, so missing is not thought of as overly unusual...

A
It seems like he meant the Mino shots not registering, not the Goliath shots.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:38 AM   #12
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
So you want to take a vehicle that has 2000 HP, an ungodly amount of firepower with huge splash damage, three seats... and make it HARDER to kill?
Imo the Mino is ridiculous and should be easier to kill but NOT by players on foot. When a player on foot can take out the Mino much faster than most vehicles then all balance has gone to shit. I know the game is called Unreal but that is a little too unreal for me. Maybe if they had to stand still to do it but not as it is now.

And I think all of this should be removed also. These things are just to make it harder to kill the Mino and most custom vehicles won't even be effected by this.

HoverBikePlasma*0.70 (Manta)
CicadaRocket*0.50
AttackCraftPlasma*0.50 (Raptor)
FlakChunk*0.70
ShockBeam*0.65

The old, old Mino, the one from the old Nightwolf, had none of this stuff in it.

...but I've said it all before.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:22 AM   #13
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
It seems like he meant the Mino shots not registering, not the Goliath shots.
Yes, for some reason, the Mino shots register on the Goliath Mk. II's less than 50% of the time. It's gotten to where I don't even aim at them anymore and hope the splash damage is enough to destroy them. The stock Goliaths and Cobras don't have this issue.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:47 AM   #14
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Who said make it harder? The vehicle load outs are the same. Teamwork is usually what wins the game. Its pretty rare that 3 people get in the Mino anymore, so there's that. Why am I telling you this? Oh yea, cuz you put in that comment about making something harder to kill. I'm not suggesting changing the Mino,(making it harder to kill) Its just if you can kill it by throwing a cigarette butt at it, just remove it because the game is broken. What do you suggest Hardspike? I take it you don't agree with any of the things being talked about?
Maybe there could be a weapon that could kill, anything, just by looking at it? Last person to spawn wins! Then this game could be simulated instead of played.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #15
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
Who said make it harder?
Um, you?
Quote:
Get rid of the bio damage modifier that lets you kill the Mino in seconds

Quote:
What do you suggest Hardspike?
Leave it the way it's been for years. The Mino is seriously OP. It has a few small weaknesses, like bio damage. Superman has kryptonite. The Death Star had a small flaw.

Quote:
I take it you don't agree with any of the things being talked about? Maybe there could be a weapon that could kill, anything, just by looking at it? Last person to spawn wins! Then this game could be simulated instead of played.
I don't have any opinions on the other stuff. No need to direct your rant at me.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #16
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:

The old, old Mino, the one from the old Nightwolf, had none of this stuff in it.

...but I've said it all before.
IMO, this is the Minotaur that we need to revert back too. The one that doesn't have the ungodly splash damage but can still one shot a node and another tank when hit directly.

Oh and remove the Hurricane and its broken hitbox! Get rid of the bio damage mod and reduce the biotank's damage output so it doesn't spin the Levi/Mino screen.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #17
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Not really anyone left recoding vehicles...

A
Old 09-13-2017, 02:39 PM   #18
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Leave it the way it's been for years. The Mino is seriously OP. It has a few small weaknesses, like bio damage. Superman has kryptonite. The Death Star had a small flaw.
I'm with hardspike on this one. I'd prefer leaving it alone with all its grandness and weaknesses. I love taking down those mino whores. It's fun exploding their egos.
Old 09-13-2017, 02:58 PM   #19
Binger

Quote:
Yes, for some reason, the Mino shots register on the Goliath Mk. II's less than 50% of the time. It's gotten to where I don't even aim at them anymore and hope the splash damage is enough to destroy them. The stock Goliaths and Cobras don't have this issue.

50% is very very very bad. I mean like wtf bad and why has nobody mentioned this before bad. I can't imagine what I did to cause this since it uses the same meshes as the Goliath, I mean the exact same. It pulls the meshes, with their collision boxes, from the same file. I didn't change any of that. What in vehicle code can effect hit registration? Anybody know?

If these Goliath IIs are really as bad as you say they are then they need to all be taken off of the server.

Btw, this doesn't happen with other vehicles. I have put many shots into a Goliath II from vehicles other than Minos and I don't think I've ever seen an unregistered shot against them, which I cannot say about other vehicles. So it seems exclusive to the Mino and at a 50% error rate. Very weird.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:00 PM   #20
Lagzilla
Getting there...

The bio multiplier is too high. For 98% of the players I don't find it hard to kill them in the mino.

I think a larger discussion is when is the right time to use a certain vehicle in a certain map. Stupid cars vs. the mino = Mino Dominates. OPV fliers (Wasp, Falcon) = Fliers dominate.

The screen roll is a bug. I won't be adding the Bio into maps because of it.

A

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught