Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 04-07-2019, 04:01 PM   #21
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
@Bofox: There is the option to keep a vehicle inviolable in a map for some secconds after the spawn. Chrusha put it in his tools. I used it on some maps for some key vehicles, but not for all. There is also a vehicle healing mutator which will heal locked vehicles and reset them to the spawnpoints when they are to far away. With ONS-Plus you can also sellect the eyit point from a vehicle.
You can also put spawn protection in the code for a vehicle. They can't be damaged by enemy fire until unlocked but they can still be damaged by colliding into things from being pushed around. I believe the Short Circuit is like this and a few others. Iirc some can't even be moved but not sure on that. I seem to remember a Bender that was stuck in place until unlocked.

What is the vehicle healing mutator that you mentioned? I think ONS-Plus can reset vehicles when they get moved a certain distance but idk about the healing thing.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:07 PM   #22
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I get it but weíre starting to draw those fuzzy lines again about whatís ok spawn killing and whatís not. Either we set some hard and fast rules about whatís allowed and what isnít, or ALL spawn killing is allowed. Problem with making rules about it is that practically every map needs its own set of rules. AND itís pretty much up to admin discretion as to whether any specific act of spawn killing is egregious enough for a kick, which leads to screams of ďadmin abuseĒ (or supposed favoritism if someone isnít kicked) and an ensuing whine fest and never-ending discussion on the forums.
Then I would vote to ban it completely. Most of the times it just pisses people off.
Old 04-08-2019, 12:55 AM   #23
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
What is the vehicle healing mutator that you mentioned? I think ONS-Plus can reset vehicles when they get moved a certain distance but idk about the healing thing.
There is a mutator called "Vehicle Protection", that we are also using on CEONSS. Description in the webadmin says: "Creates a certain level of protection for locked vehicles at shielded power nodes by automatically healing or resetting them."

Haven't been able to find it online, but I can give you the files if you are interested.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:15 AM   #24
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Quote:
Haven't been able to find it online, but I can give you the files if you are interested.
The heal thingy is 5 years old and made by Wormbo and online (if you consider our forum as "online"). =D

Yes the reset thingy is made bye ONS-Plus (which omni also is using).

Crushas code in the vehicle factory will not allow to move the vehicle at all, if I remember right.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 04-08-2019, 10:24 AM   #25
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Then I would vote to ban it completely. Most of the times it just pisses people off.
Do you mean ban spawn killing completely? That would be nearly impossible and would be an admin-ing nightmare. It would be nearly impossible to build nodes on some maps without the ability to suppress adjacent locked nodes. Screams of spawn killing would be nonstop and kicks/bans would be handed out very frequently, effectively killing off the player community in no time.

While spawn killing can be annoying, it can be viewed as good strategy in some cases but downright douchey in others. Every player has a different view on it, and probably so does every admin. An example of good strategy is the mino on MTMU hitting locked node 8/9 at the beginning to suppress the other team from building it while his team builds their connecting nodes. Some might find that douchey, but most seem to think it's just smart play and virtually every mino driver does it.

On the other hand, most people find Xexx-style spamming the MTMU core roof with the dragon completely douchey when the core's connecting nodes are still locked. He thinks it's good strategy, and it certainly is slowing the enemy down by suppressing their flyers. Who's right/wrong there? Depends on who you ask, and the admins may all view that behavior differently. It's all very subjective.

So, the discussion of allowing all spawn killing was brought up as a way to just make things easier for all. I honestly think most players will continue to play the way they always have. I personally don't like spawn killing unless it's suppressing adjacent nodes, or core when the enemy has no nodes, so I'm not going to start incessantly spawn killing locked nodes deep in enemy territory. Players that are historically spawn killers will continue to be so and may do more of it. While it can be irritating, I think the team that engages in spawn killing tends to lose more often versus the team that aggressively builds/attacks available nodes.
Old 04-08-2019, 11:35 AM   #26
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

For what it's worth, this topic was discussed do death in this thread with 12k views:
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthr...t=15046&page=5
Old 04-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #27
Binger

@EmanReleipS, @Miauz. Thank you. I was just curious.
Old 04-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #28
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
For what it's worth, this topic was discussed do death in this thread with 12k views:
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthr...t=15046&page=5
Yep, and in many other threads also. Over and over and now it's all pointless. Douche-bags vs. Whiners. In the end the Whiners lost.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #29
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Ah. I look at it like this, if its somewhat strategic fine. Happens occasionally fine. If you only play to take your hammerhead to the core and kill spawning players..and that's all you really do...pretty douchy...BUT you're not building/destroying nodes--had a match the other night where players were in our core blasting everything, while the rest of my team marched happily across the map....

Spawnkilling the mino is fair game and fairly strategic. If I am flying by the core or within range, I'll take a few pot shots (especially at the dragon on minus).

There's still kick voting and I suspect if enough people complain an Admin might tell them to knock it off.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:31 PM   #30
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Ah. I look at it like this, if its somewhat strategic fine. Happens occasionally fine. If you only play to take your hammerhead to the core and kill spawning players..and that's all you really do...pretty douchy...BUT you're not building/destroying nodes--had a match the other night where players were in our core blasting everything, while the rest of my team marched happily across the map....

Spawnkilling the mino is fair game and fairly strategic. If I am flying by the core or within range, I'll take a few pot shots (especially at the dragon on minus).

There's still kick voting and I suspect if enough people complain an Admin might tell them to knock it off.
This is exactly how it's always been, it takes an excess of repeated spawn killing behavior (and obviously just for the hell of it) to warrant a kick/ban. A lot of players will start crying foul just because they saw a guy one time in their core spawn killing a vehicle or two, but without knowing the full story. On MTMU, it's not uncommon for the nuke tank to hide in the core and be hunted there, and as you said neutralizing the mino is always a good idea. A LOT of whining about spawn killing has come up over the last few weeks, but really none of what I've personally observed when spectating has warranted even a kick. I've warned a couple players to knock it off and they did.

And to your point about building/destroying nodes, I'd rather the other team have the spawn killers while my team builds the open nodes.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:42 PM   #31
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

I wanna see a balls-out weekend where we enable friendly-fire, just for grins. Don't like your team-mate sitting in the base turret, kill his ass.

It would be hilarious and quickly turn into chaos, but still fun, at least for a short while. Don't like somebody camping your team's hot vehicle in a place you don't think is good enough, show how you really feel, LOL!
Old 04-08-2019, 10:41 PM   #32
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
A lot of players will start crying foul just because they saw a guy one time in their core spawn killing a vehicle or two, but without knowing the full story. On MTMU, it's not uncommon for the nuke tank to hide in the core and be hunted there
This would often happen to me:

1) Go to find their nuke tank
2) Spot nukes coming from a good hiding spot near one of their nodes/core
3) Go to look for the tank itself
4) Be spotted by a spawning enemy and shot at
5) Defend yourself, and get stuck killing them repeatedly
6) Be accused of camping or spawnkilling

In the spawnkiller's defense, what are they supposed to do in this situation? Let them kill you just because they saw you? Run away? When you're unable to hide, your best bet besides suicide and restart is to at least stall some of them for a while.... stir the pot a bit.

Some people automatically engage with every enemy they come across, when really you don't need to. I always thought it was cool when i'd cross paths with an (experienced) enemy and we'd both mind our own business instead of start a useless deathmatch.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #33
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Some people automatically engage with every enemy they come across, when really you don't need to. I always thought it was cool when i'd cross paths with an (experienced) enemy and we'd both mind our own business instead of start a useless deathmatch.
Tru dat! Many times I'll find an enemy deep behind our lines. To me, they have put themselves out-of-service, because all they can do is attack vehicles. I often tell our teammates to let that enemy rot. For example a mino whore waiting patiently at a locked node that is never going to go active for them, "Let em rot there".
Old 04-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #34
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Some people automatically engage with every enemy they come across, when really you don't need to.
Yep, exactly that happened last night on MagicIsle to my team's advantage. Anonymous was on the other team and everyone on my team kept whining about him kicking their asses every time they tried to take out the secondary (node 10/3). I flew over there in a falcon, got his attention from a distance, and let him follow me as I flew backwards while I watched the rest of my team fly into the node and take it out. I could hear Termi in my head saying, "decoy, Enyo, decoy."
Old 04-10-2019, 09:22 AM   #35
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
I wanna see a balls-out weekend where we enable friendly-fire,

We did this on the last Omni/CEONSS match and it was kind of fun, but I think with many players and several "spammers" it would get quite chaotic. Imagine Dria, when the mino spams 1/2 better not be inside when that happens.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught