Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 03-27-2019, 04:12 PM   #1
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Exclamation Late March 2019 - [OMNI] Admin Update

Hi everyone, [ENYO] [OMNI] Mailbox here, coming in to give everyone some updates on some things that the admins have discussed and worked on over the past month.

1. Spectator Count Increase

Effective tonight, we will be increasing the spectator count on the Omnip)o(tents ONS server from 4 to 6.

As a reminder, none of us have been able to contact Analog, who pays for/hosts the server, so we don't really have a good barometer on what the performance statistics are on the server side. This change may have adverse netcode effects at high player count, so please report to us if you notice significantly worse netcode at high player count (>28 players).

As a note, we'd like that people only use the spectator slots if they want to watch the game or communicate with people that are playing. 6 slots isn't an awful lot, so if the slots are nearly full and you're mainly there just to chat with other spectators about stuff outside of the game, we please ask that you'd move the conversation somewhere else so that people interested in the game can have a spot. Now, Omnip)o(tents hasn't really had a good IRC or TeamSpeak-like server for a while now. The only things we have at the moment are this forum and a Facebook group. Neither easily enable voice conversations out of game, and may not be the best for quick response conversations. So to remedy that...

2. Introducing the Omnip)o(tents Discord

That's right, we're getting hip and attaching our horse to the Discord wagon. Discord is basically a mash up of IRC, Skype, Mumble, and an image host all put together into one website. I've set up a bare-bones Discord server for OMNI players as a platform to talk and chat out of game. There are also a bunch of links to other UT-related Discords that I stole from Miauz if you'd like to check out other UT and UT2004 communities!

Dognuts and I are currently on there, and the moderators will consist of other interested )o( clan members and OMNI server admins. The only rules I have up there for now is "to be nice", so basically whatever would fly on the server would fly on the Discord. I'd greatly appreciate it if everyone kept the smack talk down, though. We're all here to have fun and enjoy a game, after all.

You can join the new Discord through this link: https://discord.gg/zZmapJG

Information on how to sign onto Discord, as well as optional steps to isolate Discord's datamining, can be found in this post by Miauz55555 on the CEONSS forums.

3. Requesting Input for Map Roster Changes

A somewhat common message that I hear, particularly from some of our older players, is that older edits of some maps may have been more enjoyable than the ones currently on the server. We greatly appreciate the work that mappers have volunteered their time and effort for, but sometimes edits don't pan out as well as others in the eyes of the server playing public. While the admins have a conservative shortlist of changes to the map roster, we'd like to hear what maps and map versions you think you'd like to see before we launch a definitive plan.

I'm hoping there will be a lot of feedback, so I'd like it if you could post your requests on this slot to the "Spring 2019 Map Requests" here:
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?p=216573

4. Building The Path Forward - Establishing a Backup OMNI Server

As alluded to in #1, Analog, our game server host, has been unresponsive since July of last year, despite Carpe Diem's best efforts to reach out to him. And, well, I could say something, but I think Carpe said it best, so let me quote him from a chunk of a post that he wrote to us admins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem
[...]

I have continued to try raise Analog from the dead with no success. I've been thinking
lately of a way out of the abyss that McLovin referenced in some thread (re a server fault that we (me)
would be unable to correct).

The alternative is to find a new home for Omni.

[...]
Analog has gratefully hosted the server for many years, but at this point we can't be sure if or when the server get its plug pulled. So, we are considering getting a backup server set up, in case something drastic happens to the current server. This would probably have to come with a bit more reliance on donations than in the past. A quick look around some server hosts shows that a game server could be hosted for $150-300 a year, which could be covered by 10-15 people donating 20 bucks annually. Would there be people interested in tipping that much for a new/backup server?

tl;dr More spectator slots, OMNI Discord, tell us old map edits you liked, backup server talk

Hope to hear everyone's feedback, and thanks for sticking around with us!
Mailbox, and the [OMNI] admins
Old 03-27-2019, 04:47 PM   #2
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
...A quick look around some server hosts shows that a game server could be hosted for $150-300 a year, which could be covered by 10-15 people donating 20 bucks annually. Would there be people interested in tipping that much for a new/backup server?
Put me down for $20/year.

Thanks for posting this Mailbox.
Old 03-27-2019, 09:41 PM   #3
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

I can host it from my old PC in Central NY. The OS is optimized for low latency.
Old 03-28-2019, 08:16 AM   #4
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
I can host it from my old PC in Central NY. The OS is optimized for low latency.
Appreciate the offer Anon, but I think the whole point of this is so we donít end up yet again with one person that could suddenly go MIA entirely holding the reins on the server.
Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 AM   #5
dimshade
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Appreciate the offer Anon, but I think the whole point of this is so we don’t end up yet again with one person that could suddenly go MIA entirely holding the reins on the server.
He could provide restricted SSH access to a few individuals so they can make changes and restart the UT server when necessary. It wouldn't be as easy as providing panel access to a server on a hosting company like NFO, where an admin can just add your account to the server to do stuff through a web browser, but it would still be easy enough for anyone with rudimentary Linux skills (assuming it is Linux, and he agrees to install Nano ). On the flip side, this wouldn't help if he decides to go overseas on vacation to check out nude beaches or whatever and something happened to the physical box while he's gone. It is a "backup server" though.

I have 2 servers on NFO, so I can help with setup if we go that route.
Old 03-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #6
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Thanks for initiating the Mueller Report, not the MailBox Report. It's been a busy week.

Thanks for taking action Mr MailBox (this runs through my mind everytime I think of you). With that out of the
way and in no particular order:

1. Private hosting of server

The server absolutely will NOT be hosted by a "private" person. As MB has pointed out, we'd be in the same boat
and at the whim/willof that person. I speak from experience, ya, I'm a old fucker. I've walked the walk on this before
and it isn't pretty. The only personI would trust is myself; while I'm certainly not an active player and I tend to forget
about this place now and then, I think it's pretty obvious that this MRI of my heart would look something like this:

[/insert omnitatooonhumanheart.jpg] <-- in the old days I would have spent an hour creating the perfect image and sticking it there. But I'm well past that...

2. Relocation of server:

This only happens if there are players willing to buck up, year after year, doing what it takes. I've told you bitches
so many times that my heart is here (insert previously described image now); so much so that I'll donate $40 a year
just to have the boundless joy it gives me to deal with the playground temper tantrum antics of the current
server population (envision sarcasm dripping off "boundless joy").

Last week I pulled the entire server onto my machine (including moving a copy onto my wifes machine as backup) in
the event something goes' horribly wrong. I will be initiating a poll of the forum population shortly; this poll is mission
critical so I will be changing the MoTD in the server to advise the playing population that they better speak up. Ya,

the riff-raff will be starting to show up to join the existing rag-tag gang in here.

3. Discord Thing

Cool ! However; "appreciate it if everyone kept the smack talk down". I was thinking of dropping in occasionally, but
those of you that know me from HoC (game and TeamSpeak) know I'd probably be banned quickly.

cheers,

CD

Old 03-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
The Sarge
Getting there...

I will be glad to donate $20 a year
Old 03-29-2019, 03:06 PM   #8
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
1. Private hosting of server

The server absolutely will NOT be hosted by a "private" person. As MB has pointed out, we'd be in the same boat
and at the whim/willof that person. I speak from experience, ya, I'm a old fucker. I've walked the walk on this before
and it isn't pretty.

Agreed. Having a single person hosting the server is a risk, and I would never entrust it to someone outside the admin team. An admin-run approach could work, but then you still need to look at who will receive which permissions to access the server (will everyone get full access?). At the same time, you will need to settle on one person whose name will be on the contract and who will bear the brunt of the financial burden if the donations fall short.

Quote:
Last week I pulled the entire server onto my machine (including moving a copy onto my wifes machine as backup) in
the event something goes' horribly wrong.
I think what is worth considering as well is how you want to approach this move. I can imagine two scenarios:

1) A planned relocation. That would mean setting the backup server up, getting the word out to as many players as possible, and then moving at a set date. Basically it would mean abandoning the current server, but it would give you greater control over the move and hopefully help you retain your player base.

2) An emergency move with either a backup server already ready (meaning ongoing costs without a guarantee that you will ever need the backup) or starting one at short notice (meaning you might go days or weeks without the server running, which could be harmful to the player base). In both cases the move would be largely unannounced and those players that do not frequent this forum might miss important information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox
A quick look around some server hosts shows that a game server could be hosted for $150-300 a year, which could be covered by 10-15 people donating 20 bucks annually. Would there be people interested in tipping that much for a new/backup server?

Digging through some posts about CEONSS's previous moves, here are some things to keep in mind when finding a new host, which may impact the cost of the server:

• Server location: Should be as close as possible to a major internet node. Check out this map to figure out where a good location for your player base would be: https://global-internet-map-2018.telegeography.com/
  • Server hardware performance: A cpu with good single thread performance is essential (because UT runs best on a single thread). The mass storage depends on how you want to install UT. Installing it on a RAM disk or an SSD would be best, on an HDD not so much. If you want to run it on a RAM disk, you will also need lots of RAM.

Hope this helps in some way.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:38 PM   #9
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Wow, amazing posts here. I feel like I'm surrounded by guys with IQ's on Einstein's level!

Last edited by BoFox; 03-29-2019 at 05:57 PM..
Old 03-30-2019, 03:00 AM   #10
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanReleipS View Post
  • Server location: Should be as close as possible to a major internet node. Check out this map to figure out where a good location for your player base would be: https://global-internet-map-2018.telegeography.com/
  • Server hardware performance: A cpu with good single thread performance is essential (because UT runs best on a single thread). The mass storage depends on how you want to install UT. Installing it on a RAM disk or an SSD would be best, on an HDD not so much. If you want to run it on a RAM disk, you will also need lots of RAM.
Hope this helps in some way.
The server is currently located in Kansas City which isn't a major hop, and consequently no one gets great ping. That infographic you posted isn't very useful because the lines cover each other and don't actually show the backbone of the US. Here is an example from a telecom company that is pretty representative of the US' backbone: https://personalpages.manchester.ac....edia_large.gif

As far as location, Chicago is a better choice than Dallas because of its larger peering and much better infrastructure required by forex and other trading. A lot of people that live in the Northeast are already routed through Chicago anyway.

Choosing a hosting company is expensive and offers limited performance over hosting on your own machine (good luck disabling Hyper-Threading at the BIOS-level or getting a non-virtualized OS). The only bonus is strong reliability. I am quite honestly disgusted by the performance of the current server, and many others are as well.
Old 03-31-2019, 09:28 AM   #11
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
The server is currently located in Kansas City
No it is not. It's in Lansing (Michigan).

The server will be in Chicago if/when moved, which is where )o(mnipotents started her life.

If/when moved the Chicago location will be built and waiting. There will then be a 2-3 week
period where the MoTD will reflect the new IP, along with the playing admins setting up a

keybind to announce in text during the game.

Once we're positive everything is working, I will break the old server (since I can't just shut
it down).

Old 03-31-2019, 10:27 AM   #12
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Thanks for the better image, Anon!

Quote:
The server will be in Chicago if/when moved, which is where )o(mnipotents started her life.

If/when moved the Chicago location will be built and waiting. There will then be a 2-3 week
period where the MoTD will reflect the new IP, along with the playing admins setting up a

keybind to announce in text during the game.
Ah, I see. I think that is the most sensible choice. Gives you a feel if everything is working correctly and how expensive it will be before you have to finalize things.
Would you have both servers running parallel for a couple of days/weeks while moving your player base? In addition to those announcements, you could also change the server name to "Omnipotents moving to [new IP]" so peeps will see it right when they connect to the server. The new server could have a similar temporary name ("Omnipotents new home").

Quote:
Once we're positive everything is working, I will break the old server (since I can't just shut
it down).
Oof.

If you need any help, I heard Miau is good at breaking servers. (Sorry Miau, I'm never gonna let you live that one down.)
Old 03-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #13
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanReleipS View Post
Would you have both servers running parallel for a couple of days/weeks while moving your player base? In addition to those announcements, you could also change the server name to "Omnipotents moving to [new IP]" so peeps will see it right when they connect to the server. The new server could have a similar temporary name ("Omnipotents new home").

Yes, both servers will continue to run concurrently for a couple of weeks, or until I see traffic totally die on the original.
Good idea on the naming, thanks.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:24 AM   #14
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
If/when moved the Chicago location will be built and waiting. There will then be a 2-3 week period where the MoTD will reflect the new IP, along with the playing admins setting up a keybind to announce in text during the game.
Might be a good time to figure out how to increase how long the MoTD stays on screen before the match starts. Thereís a LOT of players that donít come to the forums, and almost everyone says they canít catch half of what the MoTD says.

Having admins pop up the message a couple times during game play is a good idea too though.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #15
dognuts
Just Registered

I'm in for $20 as well. No problem on my end.
Old 03-31-2019, 04:30 PM   #16
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
No it is not. It's in Lansing (Michigan).
Never mind, I wrongly assumed the site was hosted on the same machine, which actually made sense since the ping was similar. However...

I get about 25 more ping ingame.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:35 PM   #17
provert
Just Registered

I'm down for $20. Just tell me where to send it. I sent money before tot he paypal link provided, but am not sure if that's still the correct way.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:28 PM   #18
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

I am going to initiate a poll. Please go vote.

Don't send any funds anywhere as of yet. If we're going down this road I need to setup
paypal/accounting system I can manage (I have no idea where your $'s go if you donate
now, I think it goes to Qettoe, who uses it for forums and also sends to Analog. Don't
think it amounts to much)

Old 04-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #19
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:

Don't send any funds anywhere as of yet. If we're going down this road I need to setup
paypal/accounting system I can manage (I have no idea where your $'s go if you donate
now, I think it goes to Qettoe, who uses it for forums and also sends to Analog. Don't
If you're going to do this can we talk about deleting multiple versions of the same map? Maybe set a poll to vote everyones favorite version and keep that one?
Old 04-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #20
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:

You may want to set up a business account. With a personal Paypal account, your full (real) name will be shown to those who follow the link.

You can create a donation button by going to "tools" -> "all tools" -> "create new button" in Paypal. You will get some sort of long code in < > brackets, which won't show up properly here. Post it like this:

Code:
[ url=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=YOUR_ID ]
[ img]https://www.paypalobjects.com/something/something.gif[ /img]
[/url]
To get the first part (in url tags), click on the "sharable url" tab and grab it up to and including the ID part.
To get the second part (in image tags), grab the url of the gif that is listed under "button HTML", located in the line "<input type=".

This works on our forum, so hopefully it will work here as well.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught