Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 03-02-2019, 08:29 PM   #1
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Default Yo, why not more maps from CEONSS map roster?

Yeah, why??? I was just playing Captain Gordon's Box of Pwnage today although it took me a while to finish downloading the map from CEONSS's server... and it brought me back the memories of good old INTENSE firefight ONS-style, but in close quarters. DeathWarrant used to have lots of maps like this.

There are some other cool tweaked maps like the MINUS tankmeup with gas stations and subway tunnels. Tyrant map with snow falling in the air. ETC.. CEONSS seems to have so many of those wildly tweaked maps, that are not present on OMNI's roster. Does OMNI's top admin need to have enough interest in those maps to even bother adding them, or are those maps "proprietary" to CEONSS???
Old 03-03-2019, 12:38 AM   #2
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

General etiquette is that you ask the map/edit maker if you could host their map on a different server. Many of the map makers are still active on CEONSS, so you would have to find out who made what, and then ask the right people about it. I did ask the CEONSS admins a few months ago if there could be something like a "CEONSS Week" where we'd import some of their popular maps onto our server, but reception to the idea was lukewarm due to the logistical burden of all the maps being hosted combined with CEONSS and OMNI currently being in their own lanes, so to speak, with the general map metas (OMNI big boom maps vs. CEONSS deathmatching). I'm definitely down to freshening up the map roster, as OMNI only has 4 deathmatching maps on the current server roster, and that's being generous.
Old 03-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #3
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

ONS-CaptainSors_Island_of_Pwnage_C, ONS-MinusTankMeUp-Nightwolf-C and ONS-Tyrant-C-SP1 were all edited by our previous server owner, Cat. He introduced the "C" in the map names to make it easier to tell which maps have been specifically edited for CEONSS.

Out of curiosity... I was under the impression that since OMNI is basically the only ONS server for all of Northern America (a vast geographical area), the pings of your players can vary greatly, and that is in part the reason why slower tank maps work better for you guys instead of DM-style maps that favor low pings. How are your 4 DM-style maps performing?
Old 03-03-2019, 04:22 PM   #4
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanReleipS View Post
... instead of DM-style maps ...
I personally find Death Match boring as hell, why I'm not a Fortnite fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
Quote: she's so hot I'd let her pee on me.

Make sure she is hydrated well, stale pee is nasty. Just sayin, haha!
Old 03-04-2019, 01:42 AM   #5
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
General etiquette is that you ask the map/edit maker if you could host their map on a different server. Many of the map makers are still active on CEONSS, so you would have to find out who made what, and then ask the right people about it. I did ask the CEONSS admins a few months ago if there could be something like a "CEONSS Week" where we'd import some of their popular maps onto our server, but reception to the idea was lukewarm due to the logistical burden of all the maps being hosted combined with CEONSS and OMNI currently being in their own lanes, so to speak, with the general map metas (OMNI big boom maps vs. CEONSS deathmatching). I'm definitely down to freshening up the map roster, as OMNI only has 4 deathmatching maps on the current server roster, and that's being generous.
Hm, somewhere in the middle, lol. Well, if you like any of them, perhaps ask EmanReleipS for me, please? Fancy etiquette! Just kidding..

Quote:
ONS-CaptainSors_Island_of_Pwnage_C, ONS-MinusTankMeUp-Nightwolf-C and ONS-Tyrant-C-SP1 were all edited by our previous server owner, Cat. He introduced the "C" in the map names to make it easier to tell which maps have been specifically edited for CEONSS.

Out of curiosity... I was under the impression that since OMNI is basically the only ONS server for all of Northern America (a vast geographical area), the pings of your players can vary greatly, and that is in part the reason why slower tank maps work better for you guys instead of DM-style maps that favor low pings. How are your 4 DM-style maps performing?
Hm, DeathWarrant used to be a hot server that was always full every night like OMNI, but with lots of DM-style ONS maps. I absolutely loved those high-octane maps - endless fragging with minimum travel times. Was CEONSS always that popular? I do recognize some old DW players like E_Bola who are now playing on CEONSS - perhaps a lot of DW players migrated to CEONSS?

Do you think you could ask Cat if it is ok for us to host these maps as well?

BTW, I would love a personal favorite - April-SPAMBOX (still hosted on DW, I think). Most intense of all!!!!!! The more intense, the more fun for me - Nancy Pee Lousy said it was her (his) favorite as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
I personally find Death Match boring as hell, why I'm not a Fortnite fan.

DM is an integral part of ONS. So, you prefer spend a minute traveling to a distant node, and then another minute building the node than fighting? As long as there are vehicles, it's not just plain DM, but with vehicles that add so many different styles of DM, than just player vs player alone. 10 different vehicles add 10 different styles of DM. That is what I love about ONS.

And yeah, hydrated pee is definitely drinkable.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:47 AM   #6
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
But did you actually try stale pee?? How would you know? Did it burn your tongue?
Old 03-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Hm, DeathWarrant used to be a hot server that was always full every night like OMNI, but with lots of DM-style ONS maps. I absolutely loved those high-octane maps - endless fragging with minimum travel times. Was CEONSS always that popular? I do recognize some old DW players like E_Bola who are now playing on CEONSS - perhaps a lot of DW players migrated to CEONSS?

BTW, I would love a personal favorite - April-SPAMBOX (still hosted on DW, I think). Most intense of all!!!!!! The more intense, the more fun for me - Nancy Pee Lousy said it was her (his) favorite as well.

DM is an integral part of ONS. So, you prefer spend a minute traveling to a distant node, and then another minute building the node than fighting? As long as there are vehicles, it's not just plain DM, but with vehicles that add so many different styles of DM, than just player vs player alone. 10 different vehicles add 10 different styles of DM. That is what I love about ONS.
I'm with you bo_fox, I like all sorts of map styles with different styles of play. I like the tank heavy maps as much as flyer heavy maps or maps with almost no vehicles and tight quarters forcing a lot of on foot death matching (which is what people mean when they say DM). But you and I are in the minority I think. Seems like most of OMNI's players do not much care for heavy death matching, at least on foot, because they are not very good at it (and have no desire to be) or they have rigs so old or such crappy internet connections they feel they can't compete with those with really good aim and movement.

I can already hear the bitching and moaning over SPAMBOX... yeah it would be ridiculous action (and fun to me) and could be a good crash map. But the tank campers of OMNI (the majority of players these days) would leave in a heartbeat.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:20 PM   #8
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
...perhaps ask EmanReleipS for me, please?
Props for spelling my name right.

Quote:
Oof, I got no idea. I barely remember my days of playing on other servers. CEONSS was already popular by the time I became a regular (in 2013) and I think I have always seen E_Bola's tank out of the corner of my eye...

Quote:
Sorry, but I know for a fact that Cat does not want the sharing of any maps from our roster.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #9
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Quote:
[...] Do you think you could ask Cat if it is ok for us to host these maps as well? [...]
The answere is "No". Case closed.

From that, we already gave omni a few, from my opinion, very good maps which can be hosted on Omni and were somehow optimized from us for the omni server.

For example:
MotherShip: (GLoups edited it.)
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=15058
AbandonedCity-Sed: (Sedoy made it.)
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14926
M5s-RottenTanks-C-ice: (I made it myselve.)
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=15241

On the other hand there is Rail on Omni and I always try to vote it when I'm on there. The last time I played it was with Pi(). So, I think Enyo is fully right that the most of our more DM style maps would not fit the audience.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 03-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #10
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
Why? Strange that people would be so protective of maps to a game as old as this one, especially OMNI and CEONSS being really the only 2 active onslaught servers left on the planet. I guess they don't just want to give away their hard work?

Quote:
From that, we already gave omni a few, from my opinion, very good maps which can be hosted on Omni and were somehow optimized from us for the omni server.

For example:
Sadly only AbandonedCity was added to our roster, and it rarely gets played. Even when it does, everyone complains because they can't find half the nodes. I don't know how much autonomy Mailbox has in getting maps added, but seems like he and Carpe are the only people around that can make any meaningful changes to the server.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
...I don't know how much autonomy Mailbox has in getting maps added, but seems like he and Carpe are the only people around that can make any meaningful changes to the server.
I learned how to temporarily change the bots from the default 3 to 16 once. Did it once or twice when nobody was on the server, think some joined later and said WTF? LOL If Smoker was still around he would have loved it.

But seriously tho, Mailbox is the goto guy right now for making server mods. And the keys to the kingdom, even Carpe doesn't have full access to anymore, that guy who owns those has gone dark.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #12
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
But did you actually try stale pee?? How would you know? Did it burn your tongue?
ok weird
Old 03-04-2019, 04:48 PM   #13
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:

For example:

On the other hand there is Rail on Omni and I always try to vote it when I'm on there. The last time I played it was with Pi(). So, I think Enyo is fully right that the most of our more DM style maps would not fit the audience.
Love Miauz, he is so much fun
Old 03-04-2019, 11:33 PM   #14
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:

For example:

Ok, I guess no maps from Cat. EDIT - Forgot to say thank you for sharing and optimizing for OMNI!

Mailbox, did you try MotherShip or RottenTanks? If so, are they good maps in your opinion?

Last edited by BoFox; 03-05-2019 at 12:09 AM..
Old 03-04-2019, 11:35 PM   #15
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
ok weird
Heh, never mind - I was just trying to be funny but I got weird. I'm gonna piss all over you in the game with live ammunition, and see if you like it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Why? Strange that people would be so protective of maps to a game as old as this one, especially OMNI and CEONSS being really the only 2 active onslaught servers left on the planet. I guess they don't just want to give away their hard work?
Same thoughts here - different sides of the world (completely different time zones), so why not let your work shine for the whole world, for UT2k4 ONS rather than for just one server?
Old 03-06-2019, 04:01 PM   #16
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Why? Strange that people would be so protective of maps to a game as old as this one, especially OMNI and CEONSS being really the only 2 active onslaught servers left on the planet.

THIS ^^

I get it would be rude to just go steal CEONSS maps, since they are active, and we could ask...

BUT for maps that are out there on file shares, I say go for it. Unless the map has a known owner, I say if they didn't want to share, why is it on a download sites?

Heck, if I made a map years ago and found out that people were playing it..that'd be pretty fucking cool.
Old 03-07-2019, 01:22 AM   #17
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
I get it would be rude to just go steal CEONSS maps, since they are active, and we could ask...

BUT for maps that are out there on file shares, I say go for it. Unless the map has a known owner, I say if they didn't want to share, why is it on a download sites?
This is basically the crux of the issue. If you wanted to use... say ONS-ArcticStronghold-T32, then that is fine. That is not an edit that was done by us.

The maps that were mentioned, however, were done specifically for CEONSS and they have been edited to match the preferences of our players. They are only available via our forum and this place (dunno who that is, but doesn't bother me if they are only hosting the files).
Old 03-07-2019, 08:41 AM   #18
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
THIS ^^

Heck, if I made a map years ago and found out that people were playing it..that'd be pretty fucking cool.
Agree. Not sharing content on a game this old on a server that isn't competing with yours for players is pretty lame.
Old 03-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #19
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

To be clear I am not in anyway coming down on CEONSS protecting their content..that's well and good.

My bigger point is there's hundreds of UT ONS maps out there on shares, we should pick a few to try. If the original owner shows up, we will give them free use of the server for a month and our gratitude.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #20
joeblow
Just Registered

Quote:
Props for spelling my name right.

Oof, I got no idea. I barely remember my days of playing on other servers. CEONSS was already popular by the time I became a regular (in 2013) and I think I have always seen E_Bola's tank out of the corner of my eye...

Sorry, but I know for a fact that Cat does not want the sharing of any maps from our roster.
This is a major issue with me since Captain Gordons is a made over map we have on DW:ONS server I guess made by Captain Gordon.

Minus Nightwolf was a map mod my my friend night wolf and I no FOR A FACT Cat never contacted DW or Nightwolf. He asked for the all the contacts but never did and modded the map.

Really Really need to rethink this whole line of thought.

A map 100% made by Cat I could understand some discussion of ownership.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught