Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2019, 02:25 PM   #61
Binger
.

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,482
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
I like this idea Binger. I support your ideas on this. I also hate getting switched to a completely new team after a hard fought win.
Thanks for voicing your support. I don't think it will happen though. I proposed this a long time ago and several things have been tried since then and even though others have also voiced support for DW style scoring it has never been tried. I'm trying not to be an ass here but it seems like every other possible scoring system will be tried before the server goes to the same scoring system as DW.

The way it is now works well enough when things go to 3 rounds but all other outcomes kind of suck, imo. Plus I can't stress enough how ridiculous it is to have a long mulligan round followed by a short 2 point round. I'm trying to be nice about that but it's so absolutely fucked up that I can't believe this is still a thing. I'm grateful for the attempts to eliminate the hour long matches but I would seriously almost prefer that to the current set up.
Binger is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 07:54 AM   #62
Enyo
Getting there...

 
Enyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 518
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Thanks for voicing your support. I don't think it will happen though. I proposed this a long time ago and several things have been tried since then and even though others have also voiced support for DW style scoring it has never been tried. I'm trying not to be an ass here but it seems like every other possible scoring system will be tried before the server goes to the same scoring system as DW.

The way it is now works well enough when things go to 3 rounds but all other outcomes kind of suck, imo. Plus I can't stress enough how ridiculous it is to have a long mulligan round followed by a short 2 point round. I'm trying to be nice about that but it's so absolutely fucked up that I can't believe this is still a thing. I'm grateful for the attempts to eliminate the hour long matches but I would seriously almost prefer that to the current set up.
Mailbox is working on trying to figure out how to change the default regulation win from 2 points to 1. It apparently requires some coding in unrealscript, and there's no admins left around here that know it. If you or anyone else here has any understanding of unrealscript and can offering any suggestions or direction on how to get it done, please contact Mailbox directly.
Enyo is offline  
Old 02-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #63
Binger
.

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,482
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Mailbox is working on trying to figure out how to change the default regulation win from 2 points to 1. It apparently requires some coding in unrealscript, and there's no admins left around here that know it. If you or anyone else here has any understanding of unrealscript and can offering any suggestions or direction on how to get it done, please contact Mailbox directly.

Thanks to you and mailbox. Afaik this is the first time any admin has said that they would consider the DW system. If it doesn't get community support after implemented we can always move on to something else. Really no harm in trying now days.

I don't know how to make that mutator. I've already posted in here where in the code I think it is but I've never made a mutator. There are some pretty good tutorials out there but I would need to start from scratch like Mailbox is doing. If he knows anything about code in general he is a much better candidate for getting this done but I will see what I can learn. I suppose we could ask very nicely over at DW. They might be willing to give us their code. I know all the client side stuff I've looked at from them has notes that say it is okay to use. Joe might be able to help us there as he is a DW admin but it would probably be better if someone like Carpe went and asked.


in ONSOnslaughtGame, line 713.

function MainCoreDestroyed(byte T)
{
local Controller C;
local PlayerController PC;
local int Score;

if (bOverTime)
Score = 1;
else
Score = 2;
Binger is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 05:47 PM   #64
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 167
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Thanks to you and mailbox. Afaik this is the first time any admin has said that they would consider the DW system. [...]
I made two comments in favor of the system over the past couple of months. Enyo has also made one in favor. Granted, neither of us were exactly spelling out that it was the plan (because we honestly did not have that conversation in adminland until recently), but it has been in our interest for a while to try a DW style system. It's just that it's something that isn't doable through the stock config alone and needs a mutator for that reason.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthr...868#post215868 - Dec 06 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
[...]
The suggestions I'm hearing and think are worth considering:
1. Change scoring to one point per round, regardless of regulation or overtime, with 2 points for match win. This guarantees at least 2 rounds of play, will likely extend matches 5-10 minutes.
[...]
[...]
For #1, that will require a mutator that shouldn't be too hard to make, if any of us knew UnrealScript these days. I know unRealMassDestruction has a mutator that does this. Perhaps we can ask them if we could use it?
[...]
http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthr...868#post215868 - Jan 03 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
Hey LooseCannon,

The Mulligan was initially set to a very high value in part because of the 2-point win existing. The mulligan served as a preventative means from a match ending in a couple of minutes. I'm all for a 1-point regulation win, but the 2-point regulation, 1-point overtime system is oddly hardcoded into the game, and would require a mutator to change. It should be a simple enough task, if any of us left knew UnrealScript. I recall saying that a month of two ago, so maybe I should get to that.
[...]
It's now been two months since I made the first post that I should get to coding things, and for the record, I'm unsure who runs uRMD, and if I'd get a response if I sent an e-mail. I thank you Binger for bringing up the discontent that a lot of people have felt about the long Mulligan, as I had gone AWOL for a while and wasn't able to gauge the server feeling because of it. We should have some proposed changes to the scoring system coming in a week, with or without the mutator.
Mailbox is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 09:44 PM   #65
Binger
.

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,482
Default
Reply With Quote


Mailbox you seem to have put a lot of effort into countering my "AFAIK" statement but thanks for clearing that up. The discussion about scoring changes started in earnest over 2 years ago when Carpe was the only one to make these kinds of decisions and you pretty much had to bang him in the head with a hammer to get anything done. It wasn't until very recently that anyone other than him had the power and AFAIK (lol) he never said he would try the DW system. I'm VERY grateful that you are able to make changes to the server but cut me some slack for being slow to adjust and for not reading through all the posts in 3 threads before making an AFAIK.

I personally would like to see both the mulligan and balancer completely removed even if it meant the whole match could be over in 2 minutes but with Analog MIA is it even possible to remove them or add a scoring mutator? I hope this doesn't sound cold because I like Analog and I'm truly worried about him, but if something happened to him then I think the server could be doomed. AFAIK it is hosted at his place of employment, which means the plug could be pulled at any time without him around to look after it.

Thanks for your efforts and I hope everyone remembers that it's hard to know how you feel about something until you've tried it, and anything can be undone. It's not like the server is going to lose players over a temporary change. I mean, where are they gonna go?

When considering community opinions on this please include this thread...
http://www.forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14897
Binger is offline  
Old 02-09-2019, 11:08 PM   #66
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 167
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Mailbox you seem to have put a lot of effort into countering my "AFAIK" statement but thanks for clearing that up.
Yeah, I felt like my response would come off as heavy handed, but the alternative to that would have been basically saying "nuh uh!" without supporting evidence, which wouldn't sound good or be conducive to discussion I think. Maybe the quotes were a bit much, but I just wanted to make it clear where my mind has been on the matter. I dunno, rambling here a bit...

Quote:
I personally would like to see both the mulligan and balancer completely removed even if it meant the whole match could be over in 2 minutes but with Analog MIA is it even possible to remove them or add a scoring mutator?
Both the Mulligan and the balancer can be canned without direct file access, since those are config settings added by Wormbo's EvenMatch. If it's something in the UT2004 config file or added to it, the server admins can edit it. Scoring mutator (a file) would have to be added by Analog or Carpe.

Quote:
When considering community opinions on this please include this thread...
http://www.forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14897
Thanks for bringing this thread up. Don't want to do a 180 back to something whose problems have been hashed out and known...

Last edited by Mailbox; 02-10-2019 at 12:49 AM..
Mailbox is offline  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #67
Binger
.

 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,482
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
Both the Mulligan and the balancer can be canned without direct file access, since those are config settings added by Wormbo's EvenMatch. If it's something in the UT2004 config file or added to it, the server admins can edit it. Scoring mutator (a file) would have to be added by Analog or Carpe.

Okay, Carpe said that anything that requires stopping and starting the server can't be done by him at this time. I'm not sure what requires that.
Binger is offline  
Old 02-14-2019, 01:27 PM   #68
-Goose-
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 337
Default
Reply With Quote


Easiest way to accomplish this is to implement what I suggested a while back with a score limit of 3 instead of 5. There would only be a couple of maps that would need to fixed then (low hp cores).

Games too long -> increase decay rate.
Games too short -> decrease decay rate.

Plus, you get the bonus of node "control" (more like temporary ownership these days but I digress) actually mattering again.... but that's just me...

Last edited by -Goose-; 02-14-2019 at 01:46 PM..
-Goose- is offline  
Reply


Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36 PM.