Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #41
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Also, delete all versions of Torlan except Demo Torlan.

Don't want any confusion about Torlans? Lol.

I agree with all three above. On the map rotation don't get crazy but lets prune the maps a bit...I think there's a few that could go: Crappy version of AJY (with the castrated badgers), MinusKamek (too hard to comeback because of vehicle selection).

Quote:
that way Rail and Halloween (btw Carpe edited that map for you guys) will see the light of the day

I like both and two of the prettiest maps out there. When/What were the Halloween edits? I think some better vehicles could really improve it.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:20 AM   #42
Enyo
Getting there...

Rail is a great fast-paced map... but talk about a map that unfortunately tends to clear the server. Well, at least it clears the tank spammers, which again seems to unfortunately be the majority these days. It's actually one of those maps that's a lot of fun with only 6-8 players on each team.

Been so long since I played Halloween, can't even remember what it looks like. I got a feeling it'll be a long time yet before I see it again thanks to our current Groundhog Day-like map rotation.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #43
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
Rail is a great fast-paced map... but talk about a map that unfortunately tends to clear the server. Well, at least it clears the tank spammers, which again seems to unfortunately be the majority these days. It's actually one of those maps that's a lot of fun with only 6-8 players on each team.

Been so long since I played Halloween, can't even remember what it looks like. I got a feeling it'll be a long time yet before I see it again thanks to our current Groundhog Day-like map rotation.
Haloween is the cabin one where we just fight for the boxed-in center node the whole time.

Rail is pretty unique, i like it. Also isn't it one of the only maps where you can actively adjust the walls with those garage door openers?
Funny to see some people completely fumble around on maps like that with their minigun spam.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #44
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Haloween is the cabin one where we just fight for the boxed-in center node the whole time.
Isn't that called Classic Evil Dead? I just looked on the Admin Web Server, I don't even see Halloween in the list. I'm confused, or maybe Miauz is mixing those up?
Old 12-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #45
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Isn't that called Classic Evil Dead? I just looked on the Admin Web Server, I don't even see Halloween in the list. I'm confused, or maybe Miauz is mixing those up?
Oooh that's right, yeah. Halloween is the snowy night one with all the lit up cabins between the hills. It's not a super awesome map... The vehicles don't really match its theme or layout I think.
Old 12-05-2018, 10:14 AM   #46
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
The vehicles don't really match its theme or layout I think.
Correct. Its a very visually appealing map, but the orig edit had too few and slow vehicles, eg. the levi was waaaay back at the castle, for such a big map. I may have to revisit mapping and at least try a new vehicle mix on it. I think a few skateboards, noderunners, maybe a shocker or two close to the primaries, maybe a warhawk that spawns at the castle. Might be fun to put in lots of air (aka Slated) and fast ground movers. Only weapons will be lightning guns, deemers and avrils...ok j/k about that last part.
Old 12-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #47
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Correct. Its a very visually appealing map, but the orig edit had too few and slow vehicles, eg. the levi was waaaay back at the castle, for such a big map. I may have to revisit mapping and at least try a new vehicle mix on it. I think a few skateboards, noderunners, maybe a shocker or two close to the primaries, maybe a warhawk that spawns at the castle. Might be fun to put in lots of air (aka Slated) and fast ground movers. Only weapons will be lightning guns, deemers and avrils...ok j/k about that last part.
Scorpion/hellbenders and their variants only and make cabins able to walk into?

I have never seen a "BenderMeUp" map... maybe this is the one? It might be fun to have a map that is a bender variant showcase... i think only one map has the fire one right now...
Old 12-05-2018, 01:49 PM   #48
Binger

Quote:

All of this makes me want to throw up but it needs work because no one wants to play it now so load it up.

If you want to know a little about the Halloween map you can check out these... or maybe start a new thread.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14762

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14572
Old 12-05-2018, 04:03 PM   #49
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
All of this makes me want to throw up but it needs work because no one wants to play it now so load it up.
lol...
Old 12-06-2018, 03:42 PM   #50
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Quote:
Mailbox, don't know if some changes are already in motion (please feel free to chime in), but here's some hard numbers and general observations I've made and heard while playing under the new scoring...

Most seem to like it overall with more maps being played per hour, but some matches are really short but not a lot though. Here are the hard numbers as gathered from the UT/Epic Stats page:

Sun, Dec 02 - Avg. Match Length: 22.27 min.
Sat, Dec 01 - Avg. Match Length: 23.27 min.
Fri, Nov 30 - Avg. Match Length: 21.39 min.
Thu, Nov 29 - Avg. Match Length: 22.39 min.
Wed, Nov 28 - Avg. Match Length: 19.53 min.

I excluded Fast and Furious maps from the averages, but you can see the average match is consistently around 22 minutes. I'm personally OK with this, but I think a lot of players feel that's too short, especially since they were used to matches that were 3-4 times as long. And when I said just some matches are really short, it's around 20% of matches that are done in under 12 minutes. On the other end, about 43% of matches are over 25 minutes long.

The suggestions I'm hearing and think are worth considering:
1. Change scoring to one point per round, regardless of regulation or overtime, with 2 points for match win. This guarantees at least 2 rounds of play, will likely extend matches 5-10 minutes.

2. Change the overtime core drain back to default... the whole point of speeding it up originally was to shorten matches. Now, it just exacerbates how short the matches already are, with not enough time to come back in OT.

3. Increase the map rotation cool-down (THIS SHOULD BE PRIORITY!!!)... right now it's something like 12. Unfortunately this is causing the same "favorites" being repeatedly played in much faster succession. Of the 132 matches I looked at, 22 were some variation of Minus, 16 some variation of JunkYard, 10 TAL, 9 Dria, 6 Nevermore, 6 AlienHop, 6 RedPlanet, and 5 MB. Considering all Minus versions as pretty much the same map, same for JunkYard, that's only 8 different maps making up 60% of maps played over 5 days.

I don't know what the magic number is for increasing the map cool-down, but it should probably go to at least 20 or 25, and soon. There are a lot of good maps not getting played on this server. The tank campers (which is most players now unfortunately) will just keep voting these same maps over and over, now they just get to do it faster, making the rotation feel even more repetitive.
Thanks a ton for compiling these stats, Enyo. Speaking anecdotally, the epic stats page seemed to show an average of ~40 minute maps. It's definitely a big change.

For #1, that will require a mutator that shouldn't be too hard to make, if any of us knew UnrealScript these days. I know unRealMassDestruction has a mutator that does this. Perhaps we can ask them if we could use it?

#2: I'd like to know what the stats are currently. I wouldn't mind testing the old settings from a year or so ago.

#3: Honestly, I'm fine with canning AJY-v3. Analog was supposed to get rid of it when I put out V3m, but it didn't happen. I also think we should try getting rid of some of the traditional server-emptiers (Battlefront) so that some of the underrated maps (Denum, Tyrant) have more visibility. We could bring back one of the five (!) MTMU edits that were removed back in 2012-2013, can the )o( version, do a balance pass on Kamek, and increase the map rotation cooldown to like 15 or so.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:18 PM   #51
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
...We could bring back one of the five (!) MTMU edits that were removed back in 2012-2013, can the )o( version, do a balance pass on Kamek
1. "We could bring back one of the five (!) MTMU edits that were removed back in 2012-2013" - I'd vote for Evo, the one with the "parasite" bomb.
2. can the )0( - agreed!
3. do a balance pass on Kamek - what does that mean? I like that map.

Hate losing any MTMU maps, IMHO, they are my favorites and some of the most popular maps on the server. We endured the great MTMU map purge once before, even lost an entire server dedicated to those maps. If ya wanna rename the MegaBadger map to McLovinsMap, I'm fine with that, haha!
Old 12-06-2018, 06:53 PM   #52
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Evo or Gorz were the best versions.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #53
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
3. do a balance pass on Kamek - what does that mean? I like that map.
Could be a few things:

* The Ion Tank spawn for 8/9 is on a 15 second respawn timer. It's frankly absurd that it's that low, and should be at least 30 seconds IMO, if not higher.

* Dragon camping atop a building doesn't really have an effective counter aside from bringing your own dragon. Maybe adding the pillboxes atop a building near core that Binger made for an in-progress MTMU-Nightwolf edit could help matters there.

* Do something to dissuade HammerHead killing early primary linkers. Maybe swapping out one of the core Aegii for a Centaur? Increase Hammerhead respawn time? Lower its health?

But this a topic that's best set for its own thread, rather than one on the new scoring system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
Evo or Gorz were the best versions.
Will take that into consideration.
Old 12-07-2018, 01:47 AM   #54
Binger

Quote:
lol...
I felt a little bad about that (I was just joking pooty) so I decided to do a quick update to it by just deleting all the vehicles and putting a bunch of OP stuff in it (I actually have a good setup I think) but... every time I click on something in the editor it freezes for like 5 seconds. It's never done that before.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:03 AM   #55
Binger

I think this is where the code is for the scoring if you guys decide to go that route and can maybe work up a mod for the server. It's in ONSOnslaughtGame, line 713.

function MainCoreDestroyed(byte T)
{
local Controller C;
local PlayerController PC;
local int Score;

if (bOverTime)
Score = 1;
else
Score = 2;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailbox View Post
Maybe adding the pillboxes atop a building near core that Binger made for an in-progress MTMU-Nightwolf edit could help matters there.

Sorry I'm not sure about the pillboxes. I can check on it if you want.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:33 AM   #56
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
I felt a little bad about that (I was just joking pooty) so I decided to do a quick update to it by just deleting all the vehicles and putting a bunch of OP stuff in it (I actually have a good setup I think) but... every time I click on something in the editor it freezes for like 5 seconds. It's never done that before.

I remember having this problem before (after switching to Win10). In my case, I had to adjust the settings for my graphics driver. Maybe there was a recent update to yours that messed things up?
This post might help:http://www.ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?p=10764#p10764
Old 12-07-2018, 01:11 PM   #57
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmanReleipS View Post
I remember having this problem before (after switching to Win10). In my case, I had to adjust the settings for my graphics driver. Maybe there was a recent update to yours that messed things up?
This post might help:http://www.ceonss.net/viewtopic.php?p=10764#p10764

Thanks, I will try that. When is there not a recent GFX driver update, right? Plus I recently swapped back and forth a couple of times between an nVidea and an AMD card and have been removing and reinstalling drivers. I think I'm about due for another reinstall of Win7. My machine is getting a little weird.
Old 12-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #58
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

No worries Binger. I keep wanting to fix that map so I'm excited to see what you've done...

Quote:
* Dragon camping atop a building doesn't really have an effective counter aside from bringing your own dragon. Maybe adding the pillboxes atop a building near core that Binger made for an in-progress MTMU-Nightwolf edit could help matters there.

Heck even just some jump pads to get infantry up there quick. Or maybe an elevator that can take a badger....
Old 01-31-2019, 08:13 PM   #59
Binger

I've been playing a little more and although it's nice to not be stuck on a map for an hour I would like to again voice my support for DW scoring. 1 point rounds regardless of OT and 2 points for a match win. This makes it best of 3: minimum of two rounds and maximum of 3. Regulation time and core drain could be adjusted later.

REALLY REALLY not a fan of the mulligan even though with current scoring it's kind of necessary. It feels wrong to fight hard for 7 minutes to get a victory and then have everything reset. Also I am seeing long mulligan rounds followed by very short 2 point rounds after the reset. That is so broken.

Quote:
No worries Binger. I keep wanting to fix that map so I'm excited to see what you've done...
My editor is still being weird. Halloween edit will not be done by me. Sorry.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #60
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

I like this idea Binger. I support your ideas on this. I also hate getting switched to a completely new team after a hard fought win.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught