Assault Assault Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault
View Poll Results: Should the AnotherRaces be removed from the AS Server?
Yes - They suck ass! 8 50.00%
No - I love to lag! 8 50.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
Grimshaw
Getting there...

Default Should AnotherRaces be removed from the AS server?

Is is just me or are is AS-AnotherRace - (all versions) tired and overplayed as hell. Even when they are played the it goes something like this.

1. Drive
2. Lag
3. Falloff
4. Repeat

NOT FUN! Then you have a bunch of dumbass noobs who go down the ramp and type weeeeeeeeeeee! WTF! What happened to good well designed maps that dont lag and suck ass?

QUESTION: If you are one of the persons who votes for this map...WHY? What is so good about it? Why is it fun to play a map that is nothing but camping, lag, and no strategy?
Old 08-09-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

I only vote for it when the other maps are things I feel are even MORE overplayed and unfun, and I've voted for madame's version when a new beta comes out to see what changed.
It doesn't always lag unplayably, and even when it does there are still people who can drive in lag (the trick is to not tap directions to turn but hold the button solidly and stop often, especially when you start sliding) and others who have fun regardless. Any map with vehicles lags as bad as this does by the second round, and even some without, so your argument applies to many other maps as well.
This map also brings people in the server much like any race map does.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:06 AM   #3
TheSage
Shredder of Reality

Personally, i think that the map should stay, since (as rupert said) it brings in the players, and despite the lag and the several glitches, can still be a fun map to play (especially if you're in the deemer room :smt081 )
Old 08-09-2005, 09:14 AM   #4
analog
Community Veteran

I like the non-beta (v2 I think?), and its pretty popular... I'd agree with you on the beta version if it wasn't beta (not ready to pass judgment yet, the latest version MA put up is much improved).

So I guess I'm voting to keep - Besides, I think stealing the tank from the opposing side is one of Butchers favorite pastimes!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #5
Sparafucile
Engineer Extraordinaire

Yeah, Another Race maps are good. I like the original 1-12 version or whatever best though. Although the Deemer Room and the broken lifts are damn annoying, it's still fun to try to get around them. And that lag isn't as bad as J&S, or FenderBenders. If any maps should go because of lag, those should be first.

I say keep em!
Old 08-09-2005, 10:55 AM   #6
Scrivy
Getting there...

i think they are pretty bad for the lag and with such small and sharp tracks it can be a bit of a never ending suicide spree when the server fills, but the new version by MA isnt 2 bad. the bikes lag like hell and benders = camping but some other stuff can be sorted easily. the first drop is too steep i think, that always results in a bad landing, especially in a scorp, the invisible raptor maze is odd; the raptors could use a bit mroe health i tend to crash mine a bit. the moon does my head in a bit. everytime i land on it i die from the exceedingly long fall before the teleport, could do with a terminal velocity volume there i think, and maybe on the missile, i nearly died when i hit that, even with shield gun. widen the track a bit and remove the hellbender rear guns and defender teleport to the first objective, and uve got a camp free easier version. as for fenderbenders i dno y that lags its quite small and simple. bit of optimising mite solve it. and theres a new j&s that mite not lag out

Old 08-09-2005, 11:44 AM   #7
Zerstorung
Getting there...

I voted no.

Lag is fun, lag is good. We need more people to switch from cable and DSL to 56k.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:50 PM   #8
SpeedDemon
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerstorung
Lag is fun, lag is good. We need more people to switch from cable and DSL to 56k.
hahahahha thats some funny shit...

I believe it takes a "special" type of driver to accommodate for the lag... It's a fun map w/ no real pressure to finish it... unlike most other maps, it feels like a big "f--- off" map that's more for enjoyment that strategy or effort. Also it kinda breaks the tension when neither team can finish the map and allows for fiercer competition on the next map.

I voted stay... it's not impossible and it's very popular... and if you don't want to play it, then don't play it....
Old 08-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #9
n1rvana
Getting there...

they suck.
and theres some idiots that whore the tank, like some guy the other day he tked to get the tank.
and then sucked at it.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #10
Caboose
waffles!

If we removed maps because of lag, the server wouldn't have anything on it. Almost every map lags. Racemaps because of the large amount of vehicle physics being processed. Tighter maps like Aswan because of the sheer amount of spam flying. Everything else because of a combo between the two.

I mean, I agree that there's better. But it's entertaining to more people than just myself, it brings people to the server, and it shouldn't be removed.

Of the all the legitimate strategies I've seen, shock comboing your teammate is one of the best.-Kyle
Old 08-09-2005, 03:14 PM   #11
Pandæmonium
Caution: Panda will bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caboose
I mean, I agree that there's better. But it's entertaining to more people than just myself, it brings people to the server, and it shouldn't be removed.
As much as people say "I hate race maps" people keep coming to the server and vote the race maps consistently time after time. And usually the lag is bearable for me. It's funny how I hear some of the people saying "omg the lag!" are usually the ones getting kicked from the server for having high ping :down:
Old 08-09-2005, 04:15 PM   #12
n1rvana
Getting there...

i like race maps, just not that beta one, or the lag on the normal one.
and it really doesnt help when you have all these people saying 'laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag' 'OMG LAG!!!!!!!!!!111' 'lag lag lag lag lag lag lag' and the dumbest one 'ajkshdfkjshkdfsj skjfsjkdf lag'.
Old 08-09-2005, 06:16 PM   #13
Stormblade
HARBINGER

I love race maps. As long as there's a possibility of completing it, I vote it stays. While many players claim to HATE race maps, why are race maps usually played so much?? Don't go blaming it on "nOObs that join and vote for them because they don't know any better".... We have a solid gang of server regulars, yet MANY of them vote for racers as well. Out of the top 10 AS maps played, 3 are racing maps and AnotherRaceFix_v1_12 is only 3rd on the list, only 9 matches behind the most popular map on ALL )o( servers.....

Yeah, the server lags, but it's also the world's #1 AS server and from what I've heard, it's #2 overall, worldwide. We NEED to have maps of all kinds. To limit the maplist to only those that "don't lag" would be cutting our own throats. Besides, what AS server can be called a "fun" server without racing carnage??

The day Racing maps are gone..... I'll.... I'll..... I'll find another game to play!!!! :tong:

Time is a wonderful teacher, unfortunately, it eventually kills all of its students.

My UT Maps
My UnWheel Maps, 6 within the BonusPack v1
Old 08-12-2005, 07:43 AM   #14
iron_maiden
Just Registered

they are fine for me but I'm on 2mg, i think we should remove the old versions but keep new ones
Old 08-12-2005, 09:56 AM   #15
RicShaw
Overrated

I'm on the direct opposite of the platform Stormblade's on (half of what he said is the total opposite of what I feel). Trials are 10 times more fun, but whatever. However, I'll play this map to amuse myself with grenade-laden spiders or laughing at the idiots experiencing lag-death...but my joy is waning. Meh.

I wouldn't mind seeing this map and other races taken off and shuttled to another server: have one 16 man race server, and another 20 man customs server. Actually, I'd rather enjoy it. But whatever, f yo couch.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:56 PM   #16
Madame Arsenic
My non de plume...

*gives both the Shaw's a free kick in the throat*

Now that that's taken care of...

You pussies just don't know how to drive.

Get a drivers license before you play UT, kids.

The kids on the short bus finished more objectives on this map than you did.

I admit the map is a bit shit, and I put all kinds of crazy crap in there to test out what I could do in UnrealEd... not to appease your shite dial-up connections.

Come back to me when you don't get lag with 32 people on any other race map, and then we can talk.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:41 AM   #17
RicShaw
Overrated

So, flaming me is somehow equal to defending your map. That's great. I have a serious proposal on how to make our server more enjoyable to all parties, and the response is "get a driver's license". I know how to play the maps. They are not fun to me anymore. And I'm obviously not alone. I'll just keep doing what I do now and leave the server when a racemap comes on and go somewhere else.

There are as many players who like races as those who don't. Give something for both sides instead of these constant flamewars and cycling of power on the server. But hey, I'm a pussy who doesn't know how to drive. What do I know.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:14 AM   #18
Madame Arsenic
My non de plume...

You took me seriously?
Old 08-13-2005, 11:16 AM   #19
RicShaw
Overrated

for once, yes, yes I did. This was a serious thread you know.
Old 08-13-2005, 06:09 PM   #20
n1rvana
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicShaw
So, flaming me is somehow equal to defending your map. That's great. I have a serious proposal on how to make our server more enjoyable to all parties, and the response is "get a driver's license". I know how to play the maps. They are not fun to me anymore. And I'm obviously not alone. I'll just keep doing what I do now and leave the server when a racemap comes on and go somewhere else.

There are as many players who like races as those who don't. Give something for both sides instead of these constant flamewars and cycling of power on the server. But hey, I'm a pussy who doesn't know how to drive. What do I know.
true chit.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Assault