Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 10-28-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
Enyo
Getting there...

Default New/Young Players, Sailor Talk, Kicks, etc.

There's been a seemingly new crop of players on the server lately, some new to the game and some returning from long ago. There's also a few young kids of longtime OMNI players that are new here as well. New players are a good thing for the community and all are welcome here with the understanding of the following that applies to ALL players of ALL ages. This is not a rehash of the rules, just the things we've been dealing with most lately:
  1. You are expected to engage and help your team in some way. This includes things like building/attacking/defending nodes, linking teammates' vehicles and engaging enemies just about anywhere on the map. An example of not engaging is sitting in a turret at the base or a node well behind enemy lines while your team has half the map locked up. Doing things like that will get you kicked.

2. This is a private server where 99% of players are adults. If you or your young kids who are also playing are offended by "sailor talk," i.e. any number of curse words and sophomoric toilet humor, you have two options: mute players you don't want to hear or don't play here. It is not reasonable to ask longtime players to suddenly curb their speech because there may be sensitive ears around.

3. DO NOT wander the map aimlessly on foot and especially not in vehicles or you will be kicked. This is a very subjective judgement call on the part of admins and is usually based off witnessing this behavior repeatedly.

4. For minor rule infractions, most of the current admins will issue a warning of some sort (voice or chat cannot be ignored if the admin is logged in) and then a SESSION KICK if warnings are ignored. Session kicks are preferred because they're faster for us to implement and prevent you from returning until the following match, as opposed to a simple kick that allows you to return immediately. There has been confusion over session kicks vs. bans due to the wording given when kicked. When session kicked it says something to the effect of "your IP address: xx.xx.xx.xxx has been banned from this SESSION." Note the word "session," meaning only the current match. If you were completely banned from the server, it would say your IP has been banned from this SERVER.

I think that about covers it unless the other admins want to chime in with anything I missed. Oh, and if you are ever kicked (or banned) and feel like it was unfair, don't come into the public forum space and start trashing the admin that levied the punishment. That does not ever look favorably on you in the eyes of the other admins. That tactic has literally NEVER worked in all the history of OMNI to get anyone reinstated from a ban or get any admin removed. Instead, start with sending a PM to the admin asking why you were kicked if unsure, or why you think it was unfair.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #2
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Well said.

I'll just add, if you're new and happen to read this (probably a lower chance than getting Arena mode)....In game, please announce that you're new so that we know and have patience.

Feel free to practice on the server during non-peak times or better yet practice off line (you can download the maps).
Old 10-29-2020, 12:28 PM   #3
Tater
chewing ass & kicking gum

If you want to extract the maps and mutators from your UT cache, download the 2 files in the shared google drive link below. This both gives you the maps you have recently played on, and cuts down massively on load times.
I don't own this code, however I don't know where the link is that I found it from so I dropped the two files you need into a google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...oq?usp=sharing

If you download it as a .zip , you'll need to unzip and take the 2 files out of the folder and place them in your UT2004 Directory like this: https://prnt.sc/v9issf
To run don't worry about the batch file, only run the .exe , it'll also create a log of the things it downloaded from your cache.
Hope this helps any new players or players who haven't already downloaded an extractor
Old 10-29-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post

3. DO NOT wander the map aimlessly on foot and especially not in vehicles or you will be kicked. This is a very subjective judgement call on the part of admins and is usually based off witnessing this behavior repeatedly...

This is definitely a vehicle server. F all those stupid death-match servers, why I hate em. Why can't the game industry figure this out, LOL.

To get into a vehicle, walk up next to it and hit the "Enter" key. I've seen newbies wandering around on foot from node to node, and I desperately tried to communicate to them how to get into a vehicle, but to no avail they just kept walking from node to node on foot. Don't do this! My patience is only so thin and if the server is full I may give ya the boot.

TBH, when I first started playing OMNI I had no idea how to get into a vehicle because I never read the manual. I eventually figured it out on my own.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:21 PM   #5
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post

To get into a vehicle, walk up next to it and hit the "Enter" key. I've seen newbies wandering around on foot from node to node, and I desperately tried to communicate to them how to get into a vehicle, but to no avail they just kept walking from node to node on foot. Don't do this! My patience is only so thin and if the server is full I may give ya the boot.

TBH, when I first started playing OMNI I had no idea how to get into a vehicle because I never read the manual. I eventually figured it out on my own.
What you are describing is behavior from someone who is probably brand new to the game. Yeah, it was $5 on steam for a while. With that said, they will not know exactly what to do but its easily recognizable if they are trying or teabagging.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:20 AM   #6
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
I guess you never noticed all the little handy UT tip messages the game gives you when loading a map? One even says, "Press the use button to enter a vehicle."
Old 10-30-2020, 02:10 AM   #7
ScrotumSauce
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
What you are describing is behavior from someone who is probably brand new to the game. Yeah, it was $5 on steam for a while. With that said, they will not know exactly what to do but its easily recognizable if they are trying or teabagging.
Donít you mean sandbagging?
Old 10-30-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
If you want to extract the maps and mutators from your UT cache

It's even easier. You can download the all the files here: http://www.stormdrake.com/omni-ut200...-082020-v2.zip

The newer stuff (subject to changes ongoing presently) here: http://www.stormdrake.com/utmaps/v3/ and here http://www.stormdrake.com/utmaps/v3/rev1/

I'll update the larger OmniFiles zip after we get the latest round of maps stablized (hopefully soon)
Old 10-30-2020, 11:13 AM   #9
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrotumSauce View Post
Donít you mean sandbagging?

Sandbagging defined: Not putting in your 100%. Playing below your skill level. Allowing your opponent to think they still have a chance, but you are really just toying with them.

I do it all the time. Especially when I'm dominating in a MegaBadgers round with only 2 or 4 players onboard. I have to ease off because my opponents will quit out of frustration. The trick is knowing when to turn it on when new players show up. Sometimes I wait too long and I'm a goner. When Enyo or Singularity show up I just leave and preempt my impending humiliation, LOL

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught