Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 01-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #1
Enyo
Getting there...

Default Kick Voting Sabotaging Biatches

It seems lately, last few months, that there are more players than ever on this server that come into a match and intentionally screw around and do not help their team. Or worse, they intentionally try to sabotage you like Zora did last night spinning out the mino with his badger twice on Dria. It's gotten so bad that there are often 2 or 3 players on just one team behaving this way. This is not speculation, it's from observed behavior and I'm sure many others here can back me up on this. You've all seen it... a player sitting in a turret at the core when the battle is in the middle of the map, getting in a vehicle gunner seat and not shooting at anything, or spawn killing at the enemy core and nodes. I actually saw Zora last night in MTMU linking the poster in the bottom floor garage... yeah you read that correctly, he was LINKING A FUCKING POSTER ON THE WALL!!! I don't get why people behave this way, but they're probably the same type of people I've worked with that walk around the office all day talking to everyone and not doing shit while the rest of us bust our asses and carry their slack.

I am realistic and understand this game is very old and we're one of the last few active servers. And I guess that means we're ultimately going to get some dregs of the gaming world. I wish our admins would take a little more of a hardline stance on this type of crap. If an admin observes or is made aware of this behavior, they should session kick the player with the reason why. Booting them from the game and letting them come right back in does nothing. If they do it a second time, ban them for 2 days, 3rd offense a week, 4th a month and final time a total ban, or something like that.

Problem is, there aren't enough active admins and what I suggested isn't likely to happen. So this all comes back to the kick voting system, this is the reason why it exists in the first place. It's frustrating when your own team won't vote to kick people like this. So this is ultimately a plea to those of you who read this forum to please oblige your team when several people are requesting a non-participating player to be kicked. If you're on the opposing team, do the right thing and help kick the asshat because you now know you have an advantage over the other team. It seriously only takes about 4 seconds to place a kick vote. Your team isn't going to lose if you're not playing for 4 seconds.

I always participate in a kick vote when it's warranted, just asking the rest of you to please do the same. I can't count how many times I've heard good players say they're leaving the match because they don't want to put up with this crap. I'm sure most of us would rather see the asshat kicked than see the good ones leave in frustration.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #2
TotalBurn
Just Registered

I witnessed the first spin out leaving the core. Zora to me comes off like a bad version of Roger. I also spectated when others were kick voting a player who was on the roof of the core on MTMU running around in circles.

I'll join in a kick vote but I need to know why Im doing it. Problem with kick voting is you need a good majority. Most people dont pay attention to whats being said so it goes over their heads.

I cant prove it yet, but I believe Zora is the same person Ive encountered over the last 10 days using a different name each day. Doing the exact same shit. Spinning out the mino, using the bio tank alt fire to knock players around the map etc.

I'll cast my vote when the occasion comes up.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Don't go all SMOKER on us bitching about the lack of admins, it didn't work out for him in the end, haha.

I feel your pain. I've witnessed a bunch of this crap lately, called for kick votes, nothing, maybe 2 or 3 votes but not enough for anything to happen. I call em out in public text, NAME EM AND SHAME EM, but I feel like I'm spitting in the wind. I spectate and watch awesome great players sit idle for minutes at a time, it's just frustrating as all get out and I feel dirty afterwards, haha! It's a waste of time worrying about what others are doing in-game. A source of much of mine and Infected_Toe’s anger issues in-game lately.

My newest way to cope is ignore it and just play. Or do a Sarge 'rage' quit. LOL I still chuckle remembering the time Guy's team didn't win quick enough and he raged over it. "You're just not a 2 point team"

'You go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time.' - Donald Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense under Gerald Ford and under George W. Bush.

We’ve discussed the pros and cons of changing the kick vote numbers, but the disadvantage to doing that may be a new source of abuse. The idle time auto kick doesn’t work well enough. It would too difficult to fix properly and to suit everybody’s idea of a pee-break, text from a gal pal, pizza delivery, etc, etc.
Old 01-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
TotalBurn
Just Registered

Are kick votes calculated by percentage of players in a round? I would be in favor of lowering it. Nothing extreme, but lower.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Seems like too, that there's a good number of new? players (eg. this Zora) as well has maybe a dozen others I don't recognize....some may be veterans coming back to stir up shit, or its just someone that got a $5 game and wants to troll. It would be nice for the rare occasion we did get some new players that we don't tolerate this crap. I am happy to kick vote.

Quote:
LINKING A FUCKING POSTER ON THE WALL!!!
What about goo spooging on )o( Chix magazine? ;-)
Old 01-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
JohnSmallBerries
Server Admin

My bad on Zora... I should have session-kicked him... I got mixed up on how to do the two types of kicking. Anyway, next time he does that and I'm there, I'll take stronger action.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

No worries SmallBerries, I ain't mad at ya. I just hate to see these trolls ruining what's left of this game. And I'm not getting my hopes up that Epic will ever get their shit together and release another UT that's worth playing.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:05 PM   #8
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Don't go all SMOKER on us bitching about the lack of admins, it didn't work out for him in the end, haha.
Is this actually what you think happened?

The players here have a voice that have always been heard by the people op'ing the server. Smoker did not ask for admins, he asked to get expelled from the community due to behavior and attitude.

The server could use another regular to be an admin.

A
Old 01-14-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
Is this actually what you think happened?

The players here have a voice that have always been heard by the people op'ing the server. Smoker did not ask for admins, he asked to get expelled from the community due to behavior and attitude.

The server could use another regular to be an admin.

A
Agreed...good luck finding someone.

Smallberries is the only one I see on anymore. I have no idea what Carpe has them doing; counting his money; managing his crops up there in Canada. They must be busy doing something...
Old 01-16-2018, 02:50 PM   #10
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Things to remember: demorec is your friend. It may not have the immediate gratification of getting someone kicked right away but it does the job. (That or if your display card also does recording.) Then you can do a Chode report with the footage and get a ban... hopefully only a temp one, once they realized the server is moderated... they become good or less annoying players... or lose $5.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 01-16-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers View Post
Things to remember: demorec is your friend. It may not have the immediate gratification of getting someone kicked right away but it does the job. (That or if your display card also does recording.) Then you can do a Chode report with the footage and get a ban... hopefully only a temp one, once they realized the server is moderated... they become good or less annoying players... or lose $5.
How do you do this again? Is there something in-game that does this? Console command?
Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 AM   #12
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Demorec (demoname) Records a demo
Demoplay (demoname) Plays a demo
Stopdemo Stops playing a demo

Recommend binding the commands to keys to make it easier in the heat of moment...

https://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Binding_Keys
Old 01-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #13
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

From the point to make a specific name with "demorec somename". You can also just type "demorec" in the console or bind it like Lagzilla wrote. Than it will use the default values for reccording. From default it's a number and a date (Demo%d%t).

But you can also custemise it. You could make it for example like that.
.../Ut2004/System/user.ini:

[DemoRecording]
DemoMask=%d_(%t)_%m_%p
;%d = Datum %t = Zeit %p = Player (your Playername, helpfull when using another alias) %m = Mapname %c = Counter

While you are on it you can also change your:

[Screenshots]
ShotMask=Shot%c_%d_%m

The demos will be saved in:
.../Ut2004/Demos/*.demo4

To watch them either type the name like Lagzilla wrote, or go ingame to the community tap and to demos. You will need all files which were running on the server in the moment the demo was reccorded, so save your cache.
*.demo4 files can be hughe in filesize, but when you 7zip/zip/winrar them you could save up to 80% storage. Keep that in mind when you send a demo to someone else.
The demo will either stop when the map is changed, the connection is lost, or you type the "stopdemo" command. If you want to use it for video editing you may want to stop the demo via command.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 01-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #14
Enyo
Getting there...

Yes, recording the behavior is helpful, but you're not likely to record the player's misdeeds unless you're spectating. Most people don't want to stop playing to go catch someone being a douche. That's why it's important to use the kick vote when warranted. Problem there is not everyone agrees what warrants a kick.

Seems like since Christmas there's been a lot more players on that seem to be new, at least judging by the number of new names and the way they're playing. Maybe Steam had a $2 sale on UT2K4?? New players should be tolerated and even helped even though they seem like a hindrance, and they usually let you know they're new. New players shouldn't be kick voted, especially if they're showing an effort.

In my OP, I'm really talking about the ones we know have been around a long time and they're just fucking around. Those guys need to go or start trying or be kicked. Seriously, if you've played this game for a year or more and your PPH is consistently well below 100, you're not trying. I could score higher than that blind-folded. I've seen several of these known players with less than 5 point scores after 30 minutes of play... that IMO is purposely not doing anything useful and you should be kicked.

And don't give me the whole "scores mean nothing" crap. It doesn't mean everything, but it's the only real indicator of performance we have - that's why the balancer, flawed as it may be, is based on PPH. I know, you don't get points for healing vehicles and that is definitely helpful. But, if that's all you're doing throughout a match, then you're not contributing as much as you could be. Aggression on the nodes is what wins in onslaught. The players that consistently score in the top five get the vast majority of their points from building and destroying nodes. Noted exception to that would be Shadow.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:59 PM   #15
JohnSmallBerries
Server Admin

It was a $3 sale on Steam.
Old 01-18-2018, 06:52 AM   #16
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Default Some are new

I've spec'd a few. And you can sometimes tell when someone is new... they run up to a vehicle like they are trying to get in, but can't; or once they do figure out how to get in, are confused they can't get in to an already occupied single seat vehicle e.g. running up to manned Cobra and looking like they are trying to get in. Don't link or start nodes (except um, that can be normal for some veterans ), don't chain their link gun.

When I've seen this, I've tried to help them... 'hit e to get in', 'that vehicle is a single seater', and 'you should practice onslaught offline' (yeah that one is more harsh).

PS- Enyo, I don't mind dropping out to spec sometimes (like at the end of a round, or at a map change). So definitely still call them out.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:

Last edited by FuzzySlippers; 01-18-2018 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: added p.s.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:47 AM   #17
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
From the point to make a specific name with "demorec somename". You can also just type "demorec" in the console or bind it like Lagzilla wrote. Than it will use the default values for reccording. From default it's a number and a date (Demo%d%t).

But you can also custemise it. You could make it for example like that.
.../Ut2004/System/user.ini:

[DemoRecording]
DemoMask=%d_(%t)_%m_%p
;%d = Datum %t = Zeit %p = Player (your Playername, helpfull when using another alias) %m = Mapname %c = Counter

While you are on it you can also change your:

[Screenshots]
ShotMask=Shot%c_%d_%m

The demos will be saved in:
.../Ut2004/Demos/*.demo4

To watch them either type the name like Lagzilla wrote, or go ingame to the community tap and to demos. You will need all files which were running on the server in the moment the demo was reccorded, so save your cache.
*.demo4 files can be hughe in filesize, but when you 7zip/zip/winrar them you could save up to 80% storage. Keep that in mind when you send a demo to someone else.
The demo will either stop when the map is changed, the connection is lost, or you type the "stopdemo" command. If you want to use it for video editing you may want to stop the demo via command.
This must be instructions for the WIN/OS, there is no such tree in the Mac/OS.
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 01-18-2018, 05:22 PM   #18
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
This must be instructions for the WIN/OS, there is no such tree in the Mac/OS.
The user.ini file on the Mac is in a different location. From the Finder type Command-Shift-G (or click the Go menu and "Go to Folder") and copy/paste this path:

~/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament 2004/System

The user.ini file is in there and you can edit with any plain text editor. Save a copy somewhere in case you mess something up. You should be able to find the [DemoRecording] and [Screenshots] sections in there and make Miauzz's suggested edits.

You can also find the actual demo video and screenshot files in their respective folders one level above that System directory.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #19
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

Thanks Mark! I found the screenshot files as .bmp's but I think I need to go into the .ini file to bind for the videos recordings. As I've nothing in that same folder location of anything recorded.

Last edited by Sumugan; 01-23-2018 at 09:23 AM..
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 01-23-2018, 05:47 PM   #20
hardspike
Server Admin

If you're on Windows 10 can you use the built in game recording feature?

On Fortnite Battle Royale (and other games I presume) I press Windows + G and I can hit record. When you stop recording there'll be a file at c:\users\username\videos\captures in .mp4 format. (Note, you can also hit Windows + Alt + R to begin recording immediately)

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught