Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 11-23-2015, 09:49 AM   #301
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
More mass disconnects tonight on Dria-TMU. It happened twice a few minutes apart. Map finally crashed at 9:07 CST.
VoiceMaxChatters event.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #302
Wormbo
Wormlike

I had another look at the voice chat code and may have found a better solution. I won't be able to test that before the weekend, but it looks promising so far.
From what I can tell, the new type of emergency shutdown will only affect new players, while everyone else should still be able to chat to each other as if nothing happened. Two minor downsides, though: The shutdown is initiated almost as if someone unchecked voice chat in webadmin. So if you go to webadmin and save certain default settings, it may be persisted into the config file. My code will attempt to re-enable it at match start and right before map change, but under very unfortunate circumstances the first match after server start may be silent in terms of voice chat. I'm going to check if I can prevent that from happening somehow, but the initialization code of the crash fix runs quite late, after the usual voice chat initialization took place.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 AM   #303
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
VoiceMaxChatters event.
What about when several people get disconnected at once? Any records of that? Are we still thinking that they are all in the same region and that it's the Internet's fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
I had another look at the voice chat code and may have found a better solution. I won't be able to test that before the weekend, but it looks promising so far.
From what I can tell, the new type of emergency shutdown will only affect new players, while everyone else should still be able to chat to each other as if nothing happened. Two minor downsides, though: The shutdown is initiated almost as if someone unchecked voice chat in webadmin. So if you go to webadmin and save certain default settings, it may be persisted into the config file. My code will attempt to re-enable it at match start and right before map change, but under very unfortunate circumstances the first match after server start may be silent in terms of voice chat. I'm going to check if I can prevent that from happening somehow, but the initialization code of the crash fix runs quite late, after the usual voice chat initialization took place.
When browsing through my ini files the other day I came across a setting called bLargeGameVOIP. I'm sure you are already aware of it and that it's probably irrelevant but the first thing I thought of when I saw it was the voice crashes so I thought I would mention it just in case.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #304
Wormbo
Wormlike

That bLargeGameVOIP isn't used natively and apparently is only used to speed up some kind of member lookup for chat channels at the UnrealScript level.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:22 PM   #305
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
What about when several people get disconnected at once? Any records of that? Are we still thinking that they are all in the same region and that it's the Internet's fault?
I have never been the victim of a multi-player disconnect while using the ISP at my regular residence (WideOpenWest) but I have encountered it more than once while using a neighbor's WiFi at another property (he uses AT&T).

I run PingPlotter (pinging speedtest.wowway.com) and there was no indication of trouble with the internet connection at the time of the UT004 disconnect.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:50 PM   #306
The Sarge
Getting there...

Server is currently unavailable
Old 11-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #307
Pi

service restored. internet is full of awesome

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 11-28-2015, 01:55 AM   #308
Binger

Quote:
That bLargeGameVOIP isn't used natively and apparently is only used to speed up some kind of member lookup for chat channels at the UnrealScript level.
Okay, so irrelevant. Just thought I would mention it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I have never been the victim of a multi-player disconnect while using the ISP at my regular residence (WideOpenWest) but I have encountered it more than once while using a neighbor's WiFi at another property (he uses AT&T).

I run PingPlotter (pinging speedtest.wowway.com) and there was no indication of trouble with the internet connection at the time of the UT004 disconnect.
You run PingPlotter on the server?

It happened again tonight on Dria-TMU. I didn't check to see how many but it seemed like more than 5 or 6. I see three possibilities.

-The server host is disconnecting them. Seems like a likely cause.

-All these people are in the same region and are getting disconnected by the same ISP or internet node. Seems possible.

-The server itself (the game running on the server) is disconnecting them. Some people have said it it mostly one team that gets disconnected. I haven't noticed that but if it's true then that to me suggests the game on the server is doing it. I think this is actually the least likely cause though but that is all just guessing on my part.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:10 AM   #309
Wormbo
Wormlike

Here goes: Second attempt at a workaround for "i<VOICE_MAX_CHATTERS".

Like the first one it counts the number of connections after map load and activates when the specified limit is reached. This time it turns off voice chat for new players by setting bEnableVoiceChat in [Engine.VoiceChatReplicationInfo] to False, but without saving that. When it detects a pending map change, that setting is re-enabled and saved to ensure voice chat will work again in the next match, in case something else caused it to be written to the config file. Because voice chat needs to be reenabled before map change, trhe default player limit is now 60 instead of 64. That allows four more players or spectators to connect to the server right before map change without causing a crash.

This way of disabling voice chat has the advantage of not affecting any players already connected to the server. Players who connected before the shutdown will be able to continue using voice chat without any change. New players joining the server after the shutdown will not be able to hear or talk to any other players, though. For them it's as if the server never had voice chat enabled in the first place. In other words, voice chat participants (even admins!) will have to use text chat to communicate with those players.

Download (drop-in replacement for original file, will say "(version 2)" in the log at map load)
Old 11-28-2015, 09:10 AM   #310
Pi

VoicChatWorkAround updated

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 11-28-2015, 10:35 AM   #311
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
-All these people are in the same region and are getting disconnected by the same ISP or internet node. Seems possible.
This is the cause I'd bet money on. We had a mass disconnect last night on Dria and the night before on Nevermore. Both nights I was unaffected and I noticed Morgoth was. It would be interesting to trace the routes the disconnected players used - i.e. get their IPs and run traceroute from the server to their IP. I'd bet you'd see a pattern. Or you may not if whatever was clogged has now cleared.
Old 11-28-2015, 11:10 AM   #312
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Some people have said it it mostly one team that gets disconnected.
No, both teams have affected players. This never happened on the old host, I wonder if this has to do with it.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:19 PM   #313
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
You run PingPlotter on the server?
I will run pingplotter to the server (208.79.234.80) for a day or so and see what the charts look like.
Old 11-28-2015, 05:01 PM   #314
Binger

Quote:
I will run pingplotter to the server (208.79.234.80) for a day or so and see what the charts look like.
I'm confused. You said you were running pingplotter at the time of the disconnect. I thought you meant the mass disconnect I pointed out on Dria-TMU but that would tell you nothing if you weren't one of the ones disconnected. So, did you mean when YOU got disconnected using the neighbor's WIFI?

Running pingplotter on your PC is only going to show you problems if you get disconnected, right? It won't tell you anything about the mass disconnects if you aren't one of the ones disconnected.
Old 11-28-2015, 07:07 PM   #315
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
I'm confused. You said you were running pingplotter at the time of the disconnect. I thought you meant the mass disconnect I pointed out on Dria-TMU but that would tell you nothing if you weren't one of the ones disconnected. So, did you mean when YOU got disconnected using the neighbor's WIFI?

Running pingplotter on your PC is only going to show you problems if you get disconnected, right? It won't tell you anything about the mass disconnects if you aren't one of the ones disconnected.
Unfortunately I don't have any data from when I was disconnected while I was on my neighbor's WiFi because I wasn't running PingPlotter.
The next time that I am there (Christmas break), I will run it, gather some connection data, and hopefully capture a mass disconnect event.

I'll save the data that I am collecting from my normal connection for comparison.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:35 AM   #316
Binger

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't have any data from when I was disconnected while I was on my neighbor's WiFi because I wasn't running PingPlotter.
The next time that I am there (Christmas break), I will run it, gather some connection data, and hopefully capture a mass disconnect event.

I'll save the data that I am collecting from my normal connection for comparison.
I guess the only way to tell what causes it is to have someone doing a trace to the server at the time they get disconnected. Probably not going to happen.

Anyone know what the disconnect timeout is for a UT2004 server?
Old 11-29-2015, 01:58 AM   #317
Wormbo
Wormlike

From Default.ini: (values are in seconds)
Code:
[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
ConnectionTimeout=20.0
InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
The actual timeout being in effect will be visible in the log when a timeout happens and you did not suppress DevNet. (It is suppressed by default.)
Old 11-30-2015, 12:32 AM   #318
Wormbo
Wormlike

So, how's the server's crashiness now?
Old 11-30-2015, 01:25 AM   #319
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
I didn't see any crashes tonight.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 PM   #320
Binger

Quote:
A little early to tell but seems better so far. There was one crash I saw but it was after the end of the match when switching to a new map. I forgot to report it. I guess we should get back to reporting all crashes now.

Quote:
From Default.ini: (values are in seconds)
Code:
[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
AllowDownloads=True
ConnectionTimeout=20.0
InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
The actual timeout being in effect will be visible in the log when a timeout happens and you did not suppress DevNet. (It is suppressed by default.)
Twenty seconds is a long time. Does that mean the server can completely lose connecting with the client for 20 seconds before giving the message that the player left the game, assuming they didn't click "disconnect"? If so that points to the server being the one disconnecting the players. I doubt all these people are losing their connection for 20 seconds. Especially since some have said that they don't get any lag or any other indication that they are having problems. I know I have seen someone that was part of these mass disconnects acting very normal, like they were not having any issues, then suddenly disappear and immediately I will see the message that they left the game.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught