Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 03-08-2007, 01:41 AM   #1
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Default UScript question

Okay you other Scripters out there COUGH*NODRAK*COUGH - RIDDLE ME THIS:

I programatically spawn a vehicle in a piece of UScript. It works fine. I override all of the calls on Vehicle that Disable Tick, and instead force Tick to be enabled all the time.

In Tick(), I add a log function basically logging the fact that Tick is happening.

Now here's the question:

Why the hell is Tick ONLY being called on the client?

http://www.p-fat.net/
Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
Madame Arsenic
My non de plume...

Try something like this...

Code:
simulated function Tick( float Variable )
{
  Super.Tick( Variable );

DoStuffOnServerOnly();
  DoStuffOnServerAndClient();
}
That help?
Old 03-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

You forgot the replication block for that code you got from The UnrealWiki, Arsenic

The thing is, Tick() should already be replicated. The WEIRD thing is, it IS being replicated to the client but NOT running on the server (previously I've only seen the reverse happen when you forget to mark it as simulated) -

Basically I want the physics collisions and ticks to happen on the server, so that I can handle damage. You cannot destroy an actor from within KImpact (the karma impact notification - yes I've gone back to karma land for this) so you have to queue up the damage and then apply it in the next tick. Problem is, Tick() (and KImpact) isnt called on the server, it's called on the client. Now I can go through all the funness of having all of the queueing happen on the client, but I'm not feeling very good about having the CLIENT tell the server that it needs to apply damage, which leads me to my other question - will Tick() end up being run on ALL clients in the relevant data set (in view, etc) or just the one client who invoked the spawn of the actor? If it only happens on that single client, then I wont have as much of a problem with replicating a variable back to the server to do something with.

Weird thing is that I'll have to replicate an actual "Apply Damage" call back to the server as a function, since Tick doesnt seem to be called.

Oh One detail I left out - this ONLY happens when nobody is driving the vehicle I spawn. If i spawn it and put a driver into it immediately, tick is called, and everything is happy. Before you tell me that removing a driver disables "Tick" - I already overrode KDriverEnter, DriverStatusChanged, and PostNetBeginPlay to enable it.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:11 AM   #4
Nodrak
Im a little hoedrak.

You are calling whatever function you enable the tick with from a non-simulated function, thus breaking the server side end. I would have to see the code to verify, but im certain thats the issue. (Or a very similiar related issue that is more complicated to describe)

Old 03-08-2007, 11:39 AM   #5
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Im calling it from KDriverEnter, DriverStatusChanged, and PostNetBeginPlay to enable it. All marked as Simulated.

I'm thinking of going a completely different route with this and making this object act like an alt fire redeemer warhead and inherit directly from Pawn, but instead of giving it PHYS_Flying, just giving it PHYS_Falling and an initial acceleration/velocity.

EDIT: Also, it is my understanding that functions NOT declared as simulated are never run on the clients, but only on the servers. So how would calling Enable('Tick') in one of them break the server side? Wouldn't it just not enable the tick on the client, but enable it on the server?

Old 03-08-2007, 02:17 PM   #6
Nodrak
Im a little hoedrak.

Sometimes the client is the so called 'host' for a certain function and it thus replicates it out to the server and, not sure on this part, possible to other clients. However, PostNetBeginPlay gets called before something spanws IIRC.

I told you in the begining to just make it a projectile and add just add the player to it, the redeemer would work as its kinda both already.

Quote:
function KDriverEnter(Pawn P)
Sure dont look simulated to me...

However,
Quote:
simulated function ClientKDriverEnter(PlayerController PC)
is replicated.

Also DriverStatusChanged does not come up in the code. DrivingStatusChanged() does, however it seems to get called from non-simulated functions. Thus ruining its simulated nature... Odd..

Code:
// DriverLeft() called by KDriverLeave()
function DriverLeft()
{
    DrivingStatusChanged();
}

Old 03-08-2007, 02:38 PM   #7
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Whoops - yes DrivingStatusChanged is the call that I was talking about.

I cant make it a Projectile for the specific reason that a Projectile isn't a pawn and there is no way to attach a controller to it. Hence why I have to make it either a vehicle or another pawn. I think I may just look down the path of deriving right from pawn using the redeemer warhead as a model to see how they handle things.

Old 03-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Nodrak
Im a little hoedrak.

Yea, I guess some of the class casting in the player controllers would require a subclass of pawn. Most of the projectile code is native too.

Old 03-09-2007, 09:06 PM   #9
Herr General
There really was a cake.

MR NUB asks...what is tick? I have seen it in error messages (error Function.Vehicle.Tick) but I have no idea what it is.

Yes, I'm still alive. Stop bothering me.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:19 AM   #10
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Herr: http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Unreal_Engine_Core

scroll down to the section titled "the tick" and it'll explain it all to you.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:23 AM   #11
Herr General
There really was a cake.

Ok...i was just wondering.

Yes, I'm still alive. Stop bothering me.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner