Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #1
Rando
Just Registered

Default Harassing new players

Hey there. I thought for awhile about whether or not to post this but felt it necessary. As a new player to your server I have to say that this server is unwelcoming to new players. I'm not new to UT. Been playing since 04 however I am new to these maps and these vehicles. As we all know UT has quite a steep learning curve and to date I've been called names and harassed and called names by more than a few players here. Most notably Provert, SolidState, and Infected_Toe. My crime? Not knowing how to play these maps. My first cardinal sin was apparently shooting the lasers out of the Mino. I didn't know not to do that and players here should be guiding new players, not harassing and belittling them. Now I'll admit after Proverts tirade I started doing it intentionally to tick him off. Sorry, not my finest moment. The worst of it came yesterday when for the second day in a row Provert starts in on me. However this time he was not alone as SolidState and another player (maybe Codeman_X?) joined in on harassing me on voice chat. Then Flounder blamed me for it for not playing properly in their eyes. When Army attempted to defend me they started in on him as well. This is not welcoming to new players. This game is old you should be embracing new players and not acting like elitist you know whats. I am in no way innocent in all of this but I will say that I never said anything and every time I've just been defending myself. I'm sure I went too far last night and for that I apologize. So back to yesterday. I was going with Army in the Dragon (I think?) and we were shot down once or twice. While waiting for the respawn Army and I were goofing around and I combo'ed myself to give me a score of -1. We are three minutes into the game and losing badly. Provert and SolidState then start it on me for no reason other than my score. So I quit. Hung around the base arguing with them and being ticked off I took the Kraken on a joyride. Not my finest moment but this is the 4th? 5th? time they've taken issue with me. I don't talk to them and made a point not to after the latest run in with Provert a week or so ago. Deliberately made a point not to say anything to him but Thursday he starts in on me again. And again on Friday. Well enough is enough. I was ticked and Flounder just made it worse by blaming me for it. That's not what I'd expect to see out of an admin. Enyo and Army have witnessed most if not all of it and know what I say is true. Enyo admitted in chat to Slothy that this was the second time Provert started it on me in two days and I had done nothing to provoke him. Now I'm fortunate to be a good enough player that I can laugh and kill Provert quite easily so everything he says is pretty much a joke to me. But what if I wasn't? What if I was a kid trying this game for the first time? You really should think about these things. And Flounder, you blaming me etc yesterday was some pretty poor adminnning. Sorry but it was. I was getting harrassed and ticked off and you escalated it by piling on along with them. Shame on you.

TLDR: Be welcoming to new players and instead of berating them. We were all new once.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:14 PM   #2
Flounder
Server Admin

Let me start by simply cutting through all of the noise in your long run-on paragraph.

I joined as a spectator and, as I so often do, start checking on the players with a zero or negative score with a game time that doesn't indicate a recent join.

I observe you sitting stationary in a tank next to your core in MagicIsle with a zero or -1 score while you were spamming public text chat, which is against server rules, just in case you are interested.
That isn't "not playing properly in their eyes", that is simply not playing.

A short time later you got into your team Kraken and drove it to the opposing team's core, not exactly a quick trip. Your journey was aided by the fact that your team only had a node or two and you encountered little enemy activity since you were rarely in the vicinity of any combat.
When I asked you what you thought you were doing your response was that you were unfamiliar with the map. That doesn't even qualify as a poor excuse, particularly since you admit that you aren't new to the game.

You admit to intentionally spamming mino laser fire with the goal to annoy Provert and then wonder why other players are becoming annoyed because you are basically teamkilling the mino.

You are free to mute Provert and block his text chat if he is annoying you.
Better yet, grab some screenshots or a demorec of the behavior and post it to the chode forum so that it can be dealt with.

Sitting idle in a vehicle while engaging in a back & forth with another player is a disservice to your team and losing badly isn't an excuse for it. There are almost no players here that simply give up.
If you don't want to play then quit or spectate, hence my usual "Play or leave" warning.

You then went on to spectate Provert during the next few maps and were constantly commenting on public text chat every time that he got killed, missed a jump, etc. Now who is stirring the pot?

No admin here is looking to dissuade new players.
You can observe players that are clearly new to the game and you can tell if they are there just to screw around or if they are putting forth a genuine effort to play, even if it means getting getting killed during every encounter.
I have observed players that are total noobs but they are trying and that is what matters. I don't know of any admin here that will take action against such a player, even if the other players are commenting on their lack of experience.

In fact, later that night, I kicked another player that was clearly interested in screwing around and team killing. The player was shooting his teammates and ramming them with vehicles.
I kicked him after he shot a team manta while a teammate was standing on it resulting in that teammate getting run over.
That player received warnings about the behavior which he seemed to ignore.

So I am a poor admin for actually holding you responsible for your own actions?
For obvious reasons, that sentiment doesn't warrant a response.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:51 AM   #3
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Whatever you two are in disagreement about, I have no say.

However I do agree with Rando's overall message that this server is overly harsh on new people. Even on other servers I've heard people talk about how Omni is full of d-bags and that's why they don't want to play it.

That being said I dont think anything can be done about it and it's still my favorite server.

Glad to see some new people here Rando. Also interested in the server enough to barrel through the BS and make an account on the forums. There definitely have been times where i've wondered what you're up to, but then there have been many times where you wasted me on foot so I figured you just must be new to ONS.

People who are good at the game but new to the maps are pretty rare. It's usually just lifers and actual newbies.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:33 PM   #4
Rando
Just Registered

Flounder, I'm sorry you wasted your time typing all that up. I don't have time for UT drama. I came here to post my experience in the hopes that the admins cared or would be willing to have a legitimate discussion. This obviously is not the case. Take care.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
Flounder
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Flounder, I'm sorry you wasted your time typing all that up. I don't have time for UT drama. I came here to post my experience in the hopes that the admins cared or would be willing to have a legitimate discussion. This obviously is not the case. Take care.
You say that you don't have time for "UT drama" but you spent quite some time over the course of several maps engaging in it.

I can be a smartass at times but it is not my starting position. It is typically in response to bad behavior by a player that ignores other players non-critical comments and admin messages.
Provert can be critical but the other players you list do not have a reputation for being intolerant or critical.
If you are eliciting criticism from a number of players then perhaps you should reassess your behavior.

This is not a 'Pro' server but if you are screwing around then don't expect that it will go unnoticed by the other players.
For example, as previously mentioned, spamming mino laser fire is a guaranteed way of getting the wrong type of attention.

If you want to have a legitimate discussion then let's have one.
Posting a one line response accusing the admins of not caring or not willing to have a legitimate discussion doesn't qualify.

You might have missed it while you were sitting idle as a player and engaging in "UT drama" in Magicisle but one of the other admins told you something along the lines of "Stop chatting & start playing" but you ignored him as well.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:01 PM   #6
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
You say that you don't have time for "UT drama" but you spent quite some time over the course of several maps engaging in it.

I can be a smartass at times but it is not my starting position. It is typically in response to bad behavior by a player that ignores other players non-critical comments and admin messages.
Provert can be critical but the other players you list do not have a reputation for being intolerant or critical.
If you are eliciting criticism from a number of players then perhaps you should reassess your behavior.

This is not a 'Pro' server but if you are screwing around then don't expect that it will go unnoticed by the other players.
For example, as previously mentioned, spamming mino laser fire is a guaranteed way of getting the wrong type of attention.

If you want to have a legitimate discussion then let's have one.
Posting a one line response accusing the admins of not caring or not willing to have a legitimate discussion doesn't qualify.

You might have missed it while you were sitting idle as a player and engaging in "UT drama" in Magicisle but one of the other admins told you something along the lines of "Stop chatting & start playing" but you ignored him as well.
The mino laser thing was about a month ago. I don't screw around in maps. There's two examples of this. The mino map a month ago and the map you saw the other day. Both examples of that were in response to being verbally berated in voice chat. In between that time I have received a whole lot of criticism and bs from most notably Provert, Solidstate and Infected_Toe. Accused of botting by being called a "f&*king botter" loudly and angrily by The_3%. If you want a legit discussion go ask Enyo or Army or others if they think I'm trying or just screwing around every map and get back to me. Better yet, go pull up my stats off the server records. I don't sit there screwing around in vehicles etc. Now tell me you didn't freeze me and then say some lame joke about how stupid I am in text after I complied with your warning. Show some integrity and admit it. Now ask yourself why I would question your ability to admin.

This is all really besides the point though. The point is that you will not attract new players with the way the server is currently being run. Players are in fact belittled for being new etc whether you want to admit it or not or are even aware of it. It happens. If you want this server to continue to slowly die then by all means make no changes. If you'd like to see some new blood here then maybe just maybe for a second consider what I am saying and that I might actually be right.

Last edited by Rando; 02-10-2019 at 06:20 PM..
Old 02-10-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

How to get accused of botting at omni (pick two):
1. have gorge skin
2. hit two shock shots in a row
3. side dodge combo
Old 02-15-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Not going to get into the specifics of who said what, but there is a point here, and I've seen it that new players find it hard, so I would ask that we be patient if its someone we don't know as a Regular.

Given all the admin "criticism" my opinion for what its worth is that both Flounder and Enyo are doing a great job. I've seen Enyo take a break from playing to spec a noob and verify that they are actually playing (or at least trying), and defending them to the larger group.

Provert and 3% (paracletus?) can be pretty annoying sometimes, we all have our moments, and frustrations where we do a "mino suicide charge".

Quote:
How to get accused of botting at omni (pick two):
1. have gorge skin
2. hit two shock shots in a row
3. side dodge combo

lol.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:59 PM   #9
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Not going to get into the specifics of who said what, but there is a point here, and I've seen it that new players find it hard, so I would ask that we be patient if its someone we don't know as a Regular.

Given all the admin "criticism" my opinion for what its worth is that both Flounder and Enyo are doing a great job. I've seen Enyo take a break from playing to spec a noob and verify that they are actually playing (or at least trying), and defending them to the larger group.

Provert and 3% (paracletus?) can be pretty annoying sometimes, we all have our moments, and frustrations where we do a "mino suicide charge".
Thanks for your input Pooty... with the reduced number of players these days we should do what we can to welcome any new players and go easy on them and even help them by giving friendly advice. And that goes for the whole community. It's easy for us OMNI veterans to be so accustomed to playing with mostly players that are familiar with the maps and vehicles and to get frustrated when someone new comes along and disrupts the flow of good teamwork. Admins do try to give people we don't recognize the benefit of the doubt and if they look like they're making an effort, even if in the most noobtastic way, we should all cut them some slack.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught