Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 12:27 AM   #1
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 396
Default Sniper Tank
Reply With Quote


Couple ideas on the sniper tank....

I feel this thing needs at least one more redeeming quality about it. Aside from it's far zoom with accuracy, it's a pretty cruddy tank. Slow moving, slow turret, 500HP, easy to see

I think just one of the following would make it a more worthwhile tank without going overboard:
Give it invisible camo activated by sitting still like the stealth badger
Give it just regular camo paint, not bright white
Quicker turret
Lots more HP
Fast as the bio tank

I like the camo ideas best as they fit the "sniper" profile a little better.

Thoughts?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
TotalBurn
Just Registered
 
TotalBurn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 42
Default
Reply With Quote


Well, on the JY map I get killed by it 3 to 5 times before I can get it taken out. Its damage is high and health low. To me thats old school balancing. A concept that got lost over the years.
TotalBurn is offline  
Old 12-10-2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Enyo
Getting there...

 
Enyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 399
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Couple ideas on the sniper tank....

I feel this thing needs at least one more redeeming quality about it. Aside from it's far zoom with accuracy, it's a pretty cruddy tank. Slow moving, slow turret, 500HP, easy to see

I think just one of the following would make it a more worthwhile tank without going overboard:
Give it invisible camo activated by sitting still like the stealth badger
Give it just regular camo paint, not bright white
Quicker turret
Lots more HP
Fast as the bio tank

I like the camo ideas best as they fit the "sniper" profile a little better.

Thoughts?
I agree with TotalBurn... the sniper tank is designed specifically for taking out flyers, which it does very well as is. It only takes a couple shots on a hammer head and only one on falcons, mantas and short circuits. It's also great for taking out badgers, foot soldiers and the balista

Giving it invisibility would make it nearly impossible to ever find it in a flyer before getting killed... can you imagine Dimshade with an invisible Rail Gun Tank? The only thing I would suggest changing on it would be giving its main turret a higher firing angle, or make the alt fire minigun more powerful. It can't do squat against a flyer that's directly above it.
Enyo is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 396
Default
Reply With Quote


Sure those are good points... I think at least giving it a dark color would still be good though.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,429
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I agree with TotalBurn... the sniper tank is designed specifically for taking out flyers, which it does very well as is. It only takes a couple shots on a hammer head and only one on falcons, mantas and short circuits. It's also great for taking out badgers, foot soldiers and the balista

Giving it invisibility would make it nearly impossible to ever find it in a flyer before getting killed... can you imagine Dimshade with an invisible Rail Gun Tank? The only thing I would suggest changing on it would be giving its main turret a higher firing angle, or make the alt fire minigun more powerful. It can't do squat against a flyer that's directly above it.

Sounds like you are talking about the Railgun tank and I believe YEAH is talking about the Ballista.


The skins might be doable through the editor (I kind of doubt it) but the others would require a recompile. My only problem with the Ballista is the damage falloff. I'm not going to edit it but if someone else wants to learn to edit vehicles I think I can help with the learning process.
__________________
Binger is offline  
Old 12-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #6
Enyo
Getting there...

 
Enyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 399
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Sounds like you are talking about the Railgun tank and I believe YEAH is talking about the Ballista.
Oh, maybe you're right... never thought of the ballista as a "sniper tank," but I could see that with it's gunner seat/laser. If that's the case, I agree with YEEEAAHH, the ballista sucks as is. It should probably have a little more health, and it is slower than NEXT Christmas.
Enyo is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 08:11 AM   #7
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...
 
Anonymous[Lolz]'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: New York State
Posts: 894
Default
Reply With Quote


The Ballista has no damage falloff on the Barracks and StarReach maps.
Anonymous[Lolz] is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 01:12 PM   #8
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,429
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
The Ballista has no damage falloff on the Barracks and StarReach maps.

Ah, good to know, thank you. That one should replace all of them.
__________________
Binger is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 04:40 PM   #9
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 396
Default
Reply With Quote


Yes yes yes, I mean the Ballista, not the Railgun Tank. The white one with 500hp and drives like granny. For a second I was wondering wtf you guys were talking about.

Ps, what's falloff?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 12-12-2018, 11:31 PM   #10
Enyo
Getting there...

 
Enyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 399
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Yes yes yes, I mean the Ballista, not the Railgun Tank. The white one with 500hp and drives like granny. For a second I was wondering wtf you guys were talking about.

Ps, what's falloff?
Sorry, I always thought of the railgun tank as THE sniper tank. Dammit, call shit by its actual name would ya??? You know for those of us that are a little slow.

The ballista's primary cannon damage "falls off" over distance, meaning the further away the target the less damage it does. Ever notice you can hit a node up close with it and it about takes the node out, but hit it from a long distance and it barely does dick? Not sure if the damage falloff applies to its secondary laser fire... Binger, Anon you know i'm sure?
Enyo is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 12:13 AM   #11
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 396
Default
Reply With Quote


Ha! I'm just surprised we've all been calling different tanks the same thing for so long.

Never noticed the damage gets weaker, I've just always thought the sniper tank had an underwhelming cannon... especially for having a nuke effect on impact. That explains a lot though.... and further adds to my original feeling that the ballista needs an improvement or two.

Does the manta have this "fall off" feature of its cannons? Sometimes I feel when you're farther away it takes longer to bring down a node.
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 02:33 AM   #12
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 122
Default
Reply With Quote


I see all this talk about how the Ballista is weak, but I keep going back that one time in DesertJunkYard where Anon got an Unstoppable streak by camping down a lane with a Ballista. The Ballista is excellent at its main role as a tank killer, while also being able to swat away fliers with its charge beam. If anything, the Ballista is too strong, at least on DJY, due to it being hard to exploit its weaknesses on that map (low health, slow vehicle & turret movement).

Perhaps a branch of the Ballista is called for.
Mailbox is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 03:27 AM   #13
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,429
Default
Reply With Quote


Some versions of the Ballista are actually called SniperTank in the filename.

The only problem I have with it is the damage falloff. I'm not opposed to it in theory it's just that it's broken. The damage goes to zero before the shell expires so that you can hit something and get the hit effect but do no damage. Weird thing is I only see that happen on nodes. The zoom is also a little too much. Other than that I think it's good enough. On D-Junk I will admit that it is a beast. I think every time I was on top of the scoreboard on that map it included a lot of Ballista kills. It's only that map though that it's that effective on and that map is just a bunch of OP stuff all thrown together so no biggy imo.


Oh, it could also use a better skin but I'm responsible for the horrible Goliath II skin so I shouldn't complain.


@Enyo, I've never noticed damage falloff on the lasers but it could be there. I'm not gonna dig through the files to look but I'll post or upload them for you to check out. I have three versions.


@YEAH, Do you meant the Mino? I don't think so but I also haven't checked out the files to look for that.
__________________
Binger is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #14
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 396
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Some versions of the Ballista are actually called SniperTank in the filename.

The only problem I have with it is the damage falloff. I'm not opposed to it in theory it's just that it's broken. The damage goes to zero before the shell expires so that you can hit something and get the hit effect but do no damage. Weird thing is I only see that happen on nodes. The zoom is also a little too much. Other than that I think it's good enough. On D-Junk I will admit that it is a beast. I think every time I was on top of the scoreboard on that map it included a lot of Ballista kills. It's only that map though that it's that effective on and that map is just a bunch of OP stuff all thrown together so no biggy imo.


Oh, it could also use a better skin but I'm responsible for the horrible Goliath II skin so I shouldn't complain.


@Enyo, I've never noticed damage falloff on the lasers but it could be there. I'm not gonna dig through the files to look but I'll post or upload them for you to check out. I have three versions.


@YEAH, Do you meant the Mino? I don't think so but I also haven't checked out the files to look for that.
No I mean the Manta... I seem to remember people back in the day saying you should sit as close to the node as possible when trying to take it down (provided there are no enemies nearby)

About the zoom... Can we change to adjustable zoom with the mousewheel? The same way sniper mod weapons work in other servers? It's nice to be able to control zooming out, especially with how far this one can go.

I'm up for changing the falloff to nothing, also change of color. All it needs is a simple dark green/brown. Or better yet, get it up to date with the digital camo pattern:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univer...Camouflage.jpg
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 03:04 PM   #15
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,429
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
No I mean the Manta... I seem to remember people back in the day saying you should sit as close to the node as possible when trying to take it down (provided there are no enemies nearby)

About the zoom... Can we change to adjustable zoom with the mousewheel? The same way sniper mod weapons work in other servers? It's nice to be able to control zooming out, especially with how far this one can go.

I'm up for changing the falloff to nothing, also change of color. All it needs is a simple dark green/brown. Or better yet, get it up to date with the digital camo pattern:

Afaik the Ballista is the only thing in the game that has damage falloff but that is definitely a guess.

IDK how to set the zoom to the mousewheel. Are there any vehicles already like that? And by "we" do you mean "you" after you learn to edit vehicles? I'm sorry but I barely play anymore and every time I try to make changes to something it turns into a big project for me and eats up SOOO much of my time. I will help someone learn to edit the files and recompile them but I doubt I will be doing it myself. I don't even understand code well enough to make changes.

A lot of the geometry on the Goliath is implied by the paint job. The model is more basic than is looks in game. What this means is when you try to change the paint job you can't just replace the whole image file with another one or you will lose a lot of that implied geometry. So adding Camo is not an easy task for someone with little image editing skills like me. I can, however, show you how to extract the image file and where the new files name needs to be edited into the code.
__________________
Binger is offline  
Old 12-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #16
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,429
Default
Reply With Quote


@Anon, I just tried the Ballista on the old version of Barracks ({KL}-BigAl-V1) and it took one shot to destroy the node from close range and six shots from about fog distance. Not sure about vehicles. I'll try the one from StarReach. I looked at the code but I can't really understand where the damage falloff stuff is located. My guess is it's actually done by reducing the damage radius.
__________________
Binger is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #17
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 396
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Afaik the Ballista is the only thing in the game that has damage falloff but that is definitely a guess.

IDK how to set the zoom to the mousewheel. Are there any vehicles already like that? And by "we" do you mean "you" after you learn to edit vehicles? I'm sorry but I barely play anymore and every time I try to make changes to something it turns into a big project for me and eats up SOOO much of my time. I will help someone learn to edit the files and recompile them but I doubt I will be doing it myself. I don't even understand code well enough to make changes.

A lot of the geometry on the Goliath is implied by the paint job. The model is more basic than is looks in game. What this means is when you try to change the paint job you can't just replace the whole image file with another one or you will lose a lot of that implied geometry. So adding Camo is not an easy task for someone with little image editing skills like me. I can, however, show you how to extract the image file and where the new files name needs to be edited into the code.
I'd be down to give it a shot if someone can point me to a program that runs on OS 10.6

I'm not necessarily volunteering anyone, just starting a discussion
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 02:26 PM   #18
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,429
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
I'd be down to give it a shot if someone can point me to a program that runs on OS 10.6

I'm not necessarily volunteering anyone, just starting a discussion

Are you talking the skins or the mod? Or both?
__________________
Binger is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #19
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 396
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Are you talking the skins or the mod? Or both?
I dont even know. Both?
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 12-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #20
Binger
.

 
Binger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,429
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
I dont even know. Both?
Okay for the skins I can give you the old ones and you would need something like Photoshop or Gimp to edit them. It's also possible to make an image of the UV layout for the tank mesh that you can overlay on the skin image to help know what part of the tank you are painting on. That should be enough but if you're not sure you would have to open the whole thing in Blender or one the paid modelers. I could make that for you with the current Ballista skins. I already have a Blender file for the Goliath that has the UV map the way Epic made it.

For modding the vehicles I use the command line. I don't know how that works in OS. There is a program called uMake or something like that but Idk if it works in OS. Other than that I use Notepad++ for the actual editing but any text editor will work.

Let me know about the command line thing. I'll try to get the Ballista skins extracted today. I think there are two of them. I might already have them done.
__________________
Binger is offline  
Reply


Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.