Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 07-31-2020, 02:27 PM   #1
Tater
Just Registered

Post Does anyone else experience these issues?

First, I apologize if this isn't the correct thread and such to post to, I feel like I'm in the right spot though ha. I'm new to the forum but not to UT, so spare me if I'm not in the right thread / posts.

I've been having some problems with UT that I wanted to know if anyone else experienced (ones that I don't remember happening back when I used to play, however are persistent now)
// I run x64 Windows 10, UT with the 64 bit patch (which is probably the whole problem)

1.) Major input lag
It varies, but for me it's seriously around 1/4 to 1/2 of a second (from the click of my mouse to the shot registering) which is major in a fast paced game like UT. (For instance, I have to lead Hammerheads with my shock by a really large distance even up close. 1v1s feel impossible sometimes) I poked around through some threads and can't remember who mentioned that OMNI and the engine was showing its age and bugging out, and I assume this is even more true with a full server, but does anyone have any fixes to this? It just feels like some guys have 0 input lag (like Fadewick or Sk10H, they land shots on me constantly with the shock and LG, mid air dodging and everything; Maybe they're still on Vista lol)
I feel like this changes with how many people are on OMNI, like the server load effects this heavily. Anyone share this problem? (I could try to provide a video next time that this happens if anyone is curious)

2.) Sound Bug
I think this one is unique to me, but my vehicle sounds are bugged. There's no idle / acceleration sound; as soon as I enter a vehicle the max-speed sound constantly plays and never drops down to an idle.

3.) "Fix-Patch" Window Pop-up ( https://prnt.sc/try1nl )
For me, I have to close the window on the first round of every game I play on OMNI. I've downloaded and applied the patch maybe 3 times, but I still get the pop-up. Maybe I'm not applying it correctly but it seems straightforward, is there a way to disable this?

4.) Centaur vehicle
Probably could fall under input lag above, but maybe 1 in every 10 shots actually shows on my screen lol (maybe intentional to reduce the load on the server). All the shots will land, but I still have to lead the shot similar to the shock.

5.) Vehicle Turrets not loading
I think this usually happens with a full server (This is not super common, but common enough for me to remember to type it here), but any separately moving parts on vehicles AND their projectiles (for example, the turrets and barrel of the Goliath and its tank shot when fired) won't load in until a full minute or so later after they disappear (for all vehicles, not just mine. makes it hard to tell if I'm about to be sent into the stratosphere by the Mino or not). They'll then reappear maybe for the rest of the game, or they might disappear again for another minute or so later on.

Not in any particular order (off the top of my head), but these are all of the ones I can think of that I have, If anyone has a fix for these please feel free to share.
Again, sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this. Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 07-31-2020, 02:50 PM   #2
Bacteria
[OMNI]_Bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
First, I apologize if this isn't the correct thread and such to post to, I feel like I'm in the right spot though ha. I'm new to the forum but not to UT, so spare me if I'm not in the right thread / posts.

I've been having some problems with UT that I wanted to know if anyone else experienced (ones that I don't remember happening back when I used to play, however are persistent now)
// I run x64 Windows 10, UT with the 64 bit patch (which is probably the whole problem)

1.) Major input lag
It varies, but for me it's seriously around 1/4 to 1/2 of a second (from the click of my mouse to the shot registering) which is major in a fast paced game like UT. (For instance, I have to lead Hammerheads with my shock by a really large distance even up close. 1v1s feel impossible sometimes) I poked around through some threads and can't remember who mentioned that OMNI and the engine was showing its age and bugging out, and I assume this is even more true with a full server, but does anyone have any fixes to this? It just feels like some guys have 0 input lag (like Fadewick or Sk10H, they land shots on me constantly with the shock and LG, mid air dodging and everything; Maybe they're still on Vista lol)
I feel like this changes with how many people are on OMNI, like the server load effects this heavily. Anyone share this problem? (I could try to provide a video next time that this happens if anyone is curious)

2.) Sound Bug
I think this one is unique to me, but my vehicle sounds are bugged. There's no idle / acceleration sound; as soon as I enter a vehicle the max-speed sound constantly plays and never drops down to an idle.

3.) "Fix-Patch" Window Pop-up ( https://prnt.sc/try1nl )
For me, I have to close the window on the first round of every game I play on OMNI. I've downloaded and applied the patch maybe 3 times, but I still get the pop-up. Maybe I'm not applying it correctly but it seems straightforward, is there a way to disable this?

4.) Centaur vehicle
Probably could fall under input lag above, but maybe 1 in every 10 shots actually shows on my screen lol (maybe intentional to reduce the load on the server). All the shots will land, but I still have to lead the shot similar to the shock.

5.) Vehicle Turrets not loading
I think this usually happens with a full server (This is not super common, but common enough for me to remember to type it here), but any separately moving parts on vehicles AND their projectiles (for example, the turrets and barrel of the Goliath and its tank shot when fired) won't load in until a full minute or so later after they disappear (for all vehicles, not just mine. makes it hard to tell if I'm about to be sent into the stratosphere by the Mino or not). They'll then reappear maybe for the rest of the game, or they might disappear again for another minute or so later on.

Not in any particular order (off the top of my head), but these are all of the ones I can think of that I have, If anyone has a fix for these please feel free to share.
Again, sorry if this isn't the correct place to post this. Thanks in advance for the help!
^---This, pretty much the same experience, esp when north of 16 players on. I thought it was my connection as my ping seems to increase too, but my speed and connectivity is top notch...
Old 07-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #3
EmanReleipS
CEONSS' Head Honcho III

Stuff like disappearing shots and turrets is very much connected to how many players are on the server. If there are many players, the server starts to prioritize which information will be send to the players in the same area.

This effect is much worse on maps where everyone will be fighting in the same area and better on maps where the action is spread out (and are also optimized with zoning). So the map design plays a factor as well.

Disappearing shots and turrets can be mitigated a bit by increasing the tick rate (after a good look at the cpu load on a full server). Also, from what I understand, a higher tick rate might feel smoother but will actually increase the likelihood of lag and p/l.

Btw, if you want to rule out issues with your internet, you can ping the server via a program called WinMTR. It will tell you how many hops there are between you and the server and if you are losing any data on the way.

The patch thing could just be a problem with the order in which you installed the ECE bonus pack and the patch. Unfortunately I can't remember which one you were supposed to install first. Anyone still know?
Old 07-31-2020, 06:11 PM   #4
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

1. I see input lag sometimes. It could be the server or the network. From the console you can stat fps (shows the frame per second, you should be 50+ on the server easy), stat net (shows network stats, you want to pay attention to packet loss). Those help diagnose any client side issues.

2. Don't know, maybe try clearing the UT Cache

3. Have you tried reinstalling 3369 patch?

4,5. Yes it happens when the server is overloaded (IMO) it starts dropping artifacts (like tank turrents, projectiles, shields (aegis/turtle). Pretty common for me on a full server with lots of vehicles (like JY)

I think some server improvements would help, but I don't have visibility to the server to see if the hardware is maxing out. CPU/Memory/Network.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:26 AM   #5
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

1) Mine has been good but I'm lucky to play with a ping between 32 and 36 most of the time.
2) Yes my vehicles are always idling. I didn't notice acceleration sounds were a thing until seeing one of Colbye's videos. Not sure what makes the difference.
3) I don't see this window.
4) Centaur seems to not show many shots for me either. The Phoenix and Dragon are the same way. I just hold the bead on them and assume I'm making contact. It's hard to tell in the Centaur and Phoenix with no knockback.
Sidenote: My Centaur usually rides sideways for some reason, not sure if anyone else's does that too. Like at a 45 degree angle to where I'm steering it.
5) Turrets not loading is a common issue. Luckily the animation doesn't really matter, just wait for your aimer to turn green and you're set.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:09 AM   #6
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

You should get a Windows 7 partition, a lot of these are W10 problems. Make sure "Reduce Mouse Lag" is checked. Disable Hyperthreading/SMT. Make sure your monitor is running at its max refresh rate. Also, post your Userbenchmark results to find out if you have under performing hardware.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Disable Hyperthreading/SMT.

Curious, I can see how that might help with some older CPUs, but do you think its worth while if you've got a newer processor say an i5 or i7? I'd think those are fastest enough to keep up even with HT crowding the bus.

Maybe I'll give that a try tonight and see if I notice any difference.

I think most of us are playing (hopefully) on something new enough for UT2004.
Old 08-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

It doesn't matter what CPU it is, SMT will result in contention for execution units which will increase latency.
Old Yesterday, 11:45 AM   #9
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Maybe I'll give that a try tonight and see if I notice any difference.

Tried it last night... seemed to make a bit of a difference with HT off, didn't notice any input type lags and was able to get 100+ fps regularly.

Going to keep it off and see, but so far looks like a good change.
Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM   #10
Tater
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
You should get a Windows 7 partition, a lot of these are W10 problems. Make sure "Reduce Mouse Lag" is checked. Disable Hyperthreading/SMT. Make sure your monitor is running at its max refresh rate. Also, post your Userbenchmark results to find out if you have under performing hardware.
I definitely have overkill hardware (including a 144 monitor), doesn't break a sweat with all graphics settings bumped as high as they go (1080ti with a ryzen 5 (looking to upgrade processor, handles everything I've thrown at it so far though)). ReduceML box is checked, but I do not know how to disable hyperthreading or SMT (not sure what that actually is); How would I go about doing that?

Also, thanks for the replies and input @Everyone
I forgot to mention it but I also share that weird centaur glitch where it rides 45 degrees to the side (I think only on Tank Me Up though).
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM   #11
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
I definitely have overkill hardware (including a 144 monitor), doesn't break a sweat with all graphics settings bumped as high as they go (1080ti with a ryzen 5 (looking to upgrade processor, handles everything I've thrown at it so far though)). ReduceML box is checked, but I do not know how to disable hyperthreading or SMT (not sure what that actually is); How would I go about doing that?

I forgot to mention it but I also share that weird centaur glitch where it rides 45 degrees to the side (I think only on Tank Me Up though).

Yeah my setup is more than enough for UT (GTX 1080, 144 GSync, i7)

To disable HT you have to make a change in the Motherboard bios setting. Steps will depend on the type of Motherboard you have. Normally you hold the Del key when booting will take you into a bios setting screen. Google something like disable hyperthreading <model of your motherboard>

The centaur thing, I think that's because on the one map (Minus something) the vehicle is programmed like that...It's that way for everyone on that map. FYI, so vehicles even though they are named the same can be different map to map. Depends how the map is built. UT can use common vehicle files, so that every time a vehicle is changed/upgraded every map gets it OR each vehicle can be embedded in the map so vehicle can be programmed differently per map. Omni seems to prefer the latter. (For the mapping purists, there's also "parameters" for each vehicle that can be set for each map, but I am referring to the .u file that is the code for the vehicle).
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM   #12
Xexx

Quote:
Really wish they could fix this centaur.

Also people, check your mouse laser. I had a ton of pet hair balled up in mine, so don't forget to clean it out and wipe down with iso alcohol every now and then.
Old Yesterday, 05:58 PM   #13
dognuts
Getting there...

Quote:

Your processor is overkill for this 16 y/o game I think Go into your BIOS on bootup and you can find SMT in those settings. Disable, Save and Exit.

Anonymous: Thanks for the tip. I tried it and I'll see if it gives any benefits.

dog
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #14
Tater
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Yeah my setup is more than enough for UT (GTX 1080, 144 GSync, i7)

To disable HT you have to make a change in the Motherboard bios setting. Steps will depend on the type of Motherboard you have. Normally you hold the Del key when booting will take you into a bios setting screen. Google something like disable hyperthreading <model of your motherboard>

The centaur thing, I think that's because on the one map (Minus something) the vehicle is programmed like that...It's that way for everyone on that map. FYI, so vehicles even though they are named the same can be different map to map. Depends how the map is built. UT can use common vehicle files, so that every time a vehicle is changed/upgraded every map gets it OR each vehicle can be embedded in the map so vehicle can be programmed differently per map. Omni seems to prefer the latter. (For the mapping purists, there's also "parameters" for each vehicle that can be set for each map, but I am referring to the .u file that is the code for the vehicle).
I knew vehicles could have different variants ("vehicle_name Mk. II" for example. Another is the levi / kraken / tiamat which I always refer to as the levi lol, think there was an actual post about that confusion somewhere on this forum), but I didn't really think about them being independently edited for each map under the same name. I knew the Centaur for sure was different with the speed boost and uncontrollable-nes, and now that I think about it vehicles like the Cobra originally were dirt slow in reverse but in some maps they're near equal to the forward speed. The more you learn I guess

Also, thanks for the HT disabling tips @Pooty @Dognuts and @Anonymous , I'll try it out tonight and hopefully remember to update
Old Yesterday, 10:14 PM   #15
Tater
Just Registered

Alright, quick update; couldn't find an option for Hyperthreading in my BIOS, it's probably there however I wasn't able to find it. I did flip SMT to off and that felt like it did help (possibly? server never reached full, and if it did it was brief so for now it's inconclusive) however I noticed my game performance suffering a little (I hardly ever have any frames drop significantly aside from being in the direct blast of a mino, but with SMT off my game did dip occasionally to where it was noticable).
That's all I have to share, thanks again for the help and advice guys

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught