Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 09-22-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
[RMD]Bane
Bane554 - Bringer of Ruin

UT2k4 Watch Bane's Point of View?

Hey Everyone!

I have been thinking about recording games for a while, and I starting doing that some of the time about 2 weeks ago.
From there I started messing with cutting out matches from one long video, and uploading them to YouTube.

I am still having some problems getting 25min + videos to upload ( they keep failing anywhere between 25-75% )
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on that? my 25-35 min vids range between 15-20GB and take around 10 hours to upload ( if they would succeed )
I always try uploading a video over night, but so far only the shorter ones work.

I have 5 matches up from a couple different days, I plan to add more over time, especially if I can get slightly longer matches to upload ( I dont want videos to be too long, but its good to see matches where its not as one sided like the shorter ones tend to be )
I feel some people here would be interested to watch, and see what things are like from my point of view!
I figured out how to record my own mic after a few days, so not all of my videos will have my own mic in them, but most will over time, what you hear from me is only the in game chat.

If you are interested, feel free to check it out.
I am not worried about views or subscribers or any of that stuff, I am just doing this for fun, and maybe to teach some stuff, though many of you have been playing on this server longer than myself.
I've enjoyed looking for other UT2004 ONS gameplay/ Omnip)o(tents, there isn't much out there, but a little bit, so I thought I would try to add some of my own.

Here is a link to my Channel

I am also recording a play through of Doom Eternal, but I think I need to figure out the uploading problems before I would upload any of that..
Old 09-22-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

These are fun to watch. Thanks for posting.

Nuke delivered...
Old 09-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #3
[RMD]Bane

Haha yea you got us all right at the end there with the nuke backpack! XD
Old 09-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #4
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by [RMD]Bane View Post
Hey Everyone!
I am still having some problems getting 25min + videos to upload ( they keep failing anywhere between 25-75% )
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on that? my 25-35 min vids range between 15-20GB and take around 10 hours to upload ( if they would succeed )
You should send a PM to Colbye. He's done a ton of videos and can give you all the tips and tricks you'll ever need. Haven't seen him in a while, but he still pops in on rare occasion.
Old 09-22-2020, 06:40 PM   #5
[RMD]Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
You should send a PM to Colbye. He's done a ton of videos and can give you all the tips and tricks you'll ever need. Haven't seen him in a while, but he still pops in on rare occasion.
Ahh good idea Enyo, I'll see if he can shed any light on that.
Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #6
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Damn dude that netspeed adjustment looks great! Too bad I'll never experience it because of my allegiance to Mac

Also it's cool to hear all the other sound effects. A demorec of mine would look pretty primitive (and it would expose all my hacking techniques).
Old 09-22-2020, 09:42 PM   #7
provert
Getting there...

I was going to mention Colbey. You can also try to render your video in Handbrake to H265. Keeps the video crispness but compresses the video a lot. You can make a video almost 1/4 smaller in file size depending on what the original video codec is. Handbrake is free online.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #8
[RMD]Bane

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Damn dude that netspeed adjustment looks great! Too bad I'll never experience it because of my allegiance to Mac

Also it's cool to hear all the other sound effects. A demorec of mine would look pretty primitive (and it would expose all my hacking techniques).
Yes, I really love the 144fps vs 60fps... makes things mega smooth in game, also sound is a big help, its probably more strategic to play with music off, but I love UT music so much so I'd rather have it on (doesn't hinder much anyway) Sound has always been one of my secrets in shooters, listening to your surroundings gives you some advantage against those who aren't as tuned into game sounds (I also use pretty good ear buds while playing)

What is different about sound on the Mac? Also I heard 64bit vs 32bit changes things too? I've always been on Windows with 64bit UT installed, so never experienced anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by provert View Post
I was going to mention Colbey. You can also try to render your video in Handbrake to H265. Keeps the video crispness but compresses the video a lot. You can make a video almost 1/4 smaller in file size depending on what the original video codec is. Handbrake is free online.
Oh that sounds interesting, cutting file size without cutting quality is tough, but I just started messing around with this so I am sure there is alot to learn.
Not that my quality is that great, I think I am uploading 1080p - 60fps but doesn't always look as good as in game for sure.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:34 PM   #9
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
Yes, I really love the 144fps vs 60fps... makes things mega smooth in game, also sound is a big help, its probably more strategic to play with music off, but I love UT music so much so I'd rather have it on (doesn't hinder much anyway) Sound has always been one of my secrets in shooters, listening to your surroundings gives you some advantage against those who aren't as tuned into game sounds (I also use pretty good ear buds while playing)

What is different about sound on the Mac? Also I heard 64bit vs 32bit changes things too? I've always been on Windows with 64bit UT installed, so never experienced anything else.

Oh that sounds interesting, cutting file size without cutting quality is tough, but I just started messing around with this so I am sure there is alot to learn.
Not that my quality is that great, I think I am uploading 1080p - 60fps but doesn't always look as good as in game for sure.
Might as well just start streaming it on twitch.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:09 AM   #10
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:

The most obvious thing is no acceleration sounds in vehicles. They always make the idle sound no matter what speed you're going. I also seem to not get get all the horn sounds. I get some of the funny ones but not the calvary charge one. I'm sure there are more but these are what I notice when watching videos of PC players.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:53 AM   #11
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Yes, I really love the 144fps vs 60fps..

The server can't seem to sustain that on certain maps with many players. I usually can get the 120-144 fps most of the time (when I don't forget to netspeed), but the other night it wouldn't go above ~80 fps...and its not on my side. It is much nicer at higher fps that's for sure.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #12
Rando
Getting there...

1. Your sensitivity settings make me dizzy lol
2. Hide weapons!
3. Keybind your netspeed!

All in all, really good stuff! Always fun to watch good players. Keep the videos coming!
Old 09-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #13
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
The server can't seem to sustain that on certain maps with many players. I usually can get the 120-144 fps most of the time (when I don't forget to netspeed), but the other night it wouldn't go above ~80 fps...and its not on my side. It is much nicer at higher fps that's for sure.
It's the maps, not the server. Many of them need to be optimized.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 AM   #14
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Many of them need to be optimized.

Not to hijack the thread, but how so? Some maps are more complex with more meshes, and blocking volumes to worry about vs. terrain. (Minus being a complex map)
Old 09-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #15
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

It's always nice to see who is in-game when watching these, especially if your own name shows in the player list. I'd suggest showing that more often, maybe for at least a second or so every so often. Also show the chat history maybe, those have interesting comments as well, haha!
Old 09-23-2020, 11:45 AM   #16
Spoon
DogNuts mortal enemy...

Default The pain...

Do I really want to watch Bane repeatedly kill me?
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #17
[RMD]Bane

Well I finally got a 30min video to work.. I didn't change anything, just got lucky this time I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
1. Your sensitivity settings make me dizzy lol
2. Hide weapons!
3. Keybind your netspeed!

All in all, really good stuff! Always fun to watch good players. Keep the videos coming!
1. Lol yea I think I play on pretty high sensitivity.. I just always have and am very used to it, I've tried lowering it in games like Overwatch, but got frustrated too fast.
On top of that I am a little twichy in game (gotta 'keep on my toes') and whip my mouse around a little too much (for dodge jumping and checking my back)

2. I feel I tend to rely on the weapon visual too much, maybe I'll mess around hiding them, just something I would need to get used to, I also use the scroll wheel alot for weapon switching, I'm pretty good at it, but it messes with me when guns show up like the grenade launcher, or the 2 kinds of avrils, I usually use hotkey for Link gun and sniper, sometimes shock, so maybe something to work on XD

3. Yes I should do that... I know how, I just never messed with that much before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
It's always nice to see who is in-game when watching these, especially if your own name shows in the player list. I'd suggest showing that more often, maybe for at least a second or so every so often. Also show the chat history maybe, those have interesting comments as well, haha!
I can try that, I thought sometimes I spam the scoreboard too much, I can maybe open it less spammy and a little more consistently.
Ill see if I can do chat logs too, I think I have that bound to F2 but I never really use it, so Ill test that, the.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
Do I really want to watch Bane repeatedly kill me?
Lol at least you frag me quite alot as well!
Old 09-23-2020, 04:46 PM   #18
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but how so? Some maps are more complex with more meshes, and blocking volumes to worry about vs. terrain. (Minus being a complex map)
I'm not a map maker and honestly don't know. What I do know is that when my frames drop from 200 to 100 on a map that's a problem with the map and not with the server or my system.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #19
Terminator
Getting there...

Change your crosshairs on all hitscan weapons; LG, Sniper & shock to the dot. Change the size and color to your preference. Dot is the most accurate crosshair.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:05 AM   #20
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

What software are you using to record UT? You can use HEVC/H265 and it will greatly reduce the file size. You should also change the framerate from 30 to 60 to make things more fluid. OBS is really good and has lots of customization. 15mbps should be enough for 1080p60 with Pascal/Turing H264 and 10mbps for HEVC. Be sure to set b-frames to 0.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught