Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 01-09-2021, 12:52 AM   #61
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

I think they'd be most effective with the machine guns. If we start using hitsounds that's a serious buff to the "spray n pray" crowd.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:43 PM   #62
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater View Post
Something I never liked from DW was how everyones player-model was neon color of the corresponding team they were on, looked awful
I think that's the bright skins mod. It's actually quite helpful making all players bright neon colors... sometimes blue player skins get lost on dark maps.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:50 PM   #63
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Brightskins also helps those with colorblindness issues....
Old 01-10-2021, 06:22 PM   #64
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Or you could be like me and have the stupidest avatar possible with a white suit and a big gold helmet

I'm take it or leave it on the hitsounds, colors etc. If we add a little that's cool but I think sometimes that stuff can get too carried away. There are some servers out there that are nauseating with the amount of added graphic intros and memes and music and SFX and colored names and the list goes on....
Old 01-10-2021, 07:29 PM   #65
Tater
Singularity Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Brightskins also helps those with colorblindness issues....
You're makin me feel bad pooty, didn't think of that ha
I'm impartial to it, it's not like it's gonna affect me. I never thought it looked great compared to regular skins, also felt like it was another mutator making it too easy
Old 01-10-2021, 08:08 PM   #66
Rando
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I think that's the bright skins mod. It's actually quite helpful making all players bright neon colors... sometimes blue player skins get lost on dark maps.
utcomp is an easy mutator to implement and adds bright skins and hit sounds.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:56 AM   #67
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
You're makin me feel bad pooty, didn't think of that ha
No worries...just something to consider. I personally don't really like the brightskins but I do like hitsounds.

Once the new server is setup, maybe we should have a poll?
Old 01-11-2021, 06:48 PM   #68
ROGER
Just Registered

Well I'm late to the party..Have not logged in here in quite a while.

Is there a server to set up? I can offer some assistance.

For a quick setup I'd probably fork one of these that I found on GitHub.

https://github.com/PhasecoreX/docker-ut2004-server

https://github.com/daniellog/docker-ut2004

Another option is AWS has a gaming service - GameLift - that would take some effort from me, maybe someone ifs better with AWS stuff. They claim max 45ms global response time.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:09 AM   #69
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

The hit sounds and bright skins are optional, and easily configurable via in-game interface. UTComp also offers ping compensation, which makes the game enjoyable.

On another note, game servers should run on bare metal only.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:30 AM   #70
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
I think that's the bright skins mod. ... sometimes blue player skins get lost on dark maps.

Ha, when I played on the sniper servers my skin was all dark black. I haven't seen it work for years now, but it was cool because I was essentially invisible on those servers. I could sneak up right behind somebody and they wouldn't see me unless they were looking directly at me and I was moving.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:46 AM   #71
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
On another note, game servers should run on bare metal only.
Not sure what nfoservers runs on .. I think it's still some sort of shared service. That being said, it seems to be cheaper than AWS (and I bet the AWS 45ms global ping is for games that can run on multiple servers.. UT2004 cannot).

And nfo has had good results by HoC so its proven by a trusted source in that respect.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:55 PM   #72
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
Not sure what nfoservers runs on .. I think it's still some sort of shared service. That being said, it seems to be cheaper than AWS (and I bet the AWS 45ms global ping is for games that can run on multiple servers.. UT2004 cannot).

And nfo has had good results by HoC so its proven by a trusted source in that respect.
NFO offers dedicated machines, but the costs are exorbitant. Even the virtualized servers put me off. Over the long run, the cheapest yet highest performance option is simply building a computer using older parts and responsible overclocking. I don't see why we can't run at least 40+ tick rate on modern hardware (mino shots not registering is a good example of low tick rate). The only issue is of course the upkeep of a DIY server.

Last edited by Anonymous[Lolz]; 01-13-2021 at 12:08 AM..
Old 01-12-2021, 11:03 PM   #73
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Ha, when I played on the sniper servers my skin was all dark black. I haven't seen it work for years now, but it was cool because I was essentially invisible on those servers. I could sneak up right behind somebody and they wouldn't see me unless they were looking directly at me and I was moving.

Old 01-13-2021, 12:27 AM   #74
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
NFO offers dedicated machines, but the costs are exorbitant. Even the virtualized servers put me off. Over the long run, the cheapest yet highest performance option is simply building a computer using older parts and responsible overclocking. I don't see why we can't run at least 40+ tick rate on modern hardware (mino shots not registering is a good example of low tick rate). The only issue is of course the upkeep of a DIY server.
Nobody here is interested, or more likely nobody has the time or will to keep up with that. And we are trying to avoid putting the server back into the hands of just one person. I think you've mentioned that idea before, it's a hard no. This is not a "what's the cheapest option" endeavor, we're trying to keep things as simple as possible, but still get good performance.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:59 AM   #75
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post

Haha!
Old 01-13-2021, 11:37 AM   #76
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
Nobody here is interested, or more likely nobody has the time or will to keep up with that. And we are trying to avoid putting the server back into the hands of just one person. I think you've mentioned that idea before, it's a hard no. This is not a "what's the cheapest option" endeavor, we're trying to keep things as simple as possible, but still get good performance.

Server itself isn't an issue, but we 1. Don't want to deal with physical hardware issues 2. We'd have to find physical space in a datacenter to host Both of these are non-issues with hosted solutions. No one wants to run up and replace a drive or power supply to fix the game server...

I will say I think that the Omni server will be more taxing because of all the vehicles, projectiles and map complexity than HoC.

That being said, the current processor/server: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....10GHz&id=1188
Proposed on NFO: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....60GHz&id=2814

So in terms of single thread performance (really IMO the limiting factor on the Hardware): Old: 1923 vs 2184 (About 13-14% faster). I'd love to see more speed than that...but I don't know the point where the software is the issue. I think any decent set up the network wouldn't be an issue.

If anyone has other hosting options, please speak up, but NFO seems to be decent at a decent price point ( $40 a month, with higher CPU priority). Other places, are more, and dedicated machines seems to be closer to $100 month.
Old 01-14-2021, 12:17 PM   #77
radar[SWE]
stoned cold killer

Love this guys! Itís been so long, just stopped in to see whatís up...
Thanks for keeping it up and thanks Analog for dropping in and sharing such kind words. In the early days Iíd spend several hours a day on Omni... good times!!

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament