Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 07-19-2015, 01:08 AM   #1
Binger

Default Unwheel Editor

Does anyone have the editor for Unwheel? I want to check out some Unwheel maps but they crash the regular editor. I used to have it but can't find it now.

Also, does anyone know how to use Unwheel assets for UT2004? That also crashes the editor.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:44 AM   #2
Wormbo
Wormlike

If UnWheel installs as a "mod" (i.e. own configuration files in own subdirectory), you may have to start unrealed.exe with the -mod=UnWheel (or whatever the directory name is) parameter to make the assets available.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:00 PM   #3
Binger

I'll try that. Unwheel has it's own directory tree which is very similar to the UT2004 directory tree. I don't think it even has to be in the UT2004 tree although I've moved it around years ago from where it was when I first installed it and I haven't tried to run it since then so I'm not sure on that. It runs from it's own exe file so I'm guessing that this is a mod like you're saying. I don't know anything about mods.

I'll try to read up on it some more. I got permission years ago from the Steve (I think his last name is Horton) who did Unwheel to use any of the assets that he created in Onslaught maps but when I tried it crashed the editor. Someone at DW took his Urban-Circuit map and made an Onslaught map called WrongTurn. I want to take that map and do the same thing I did with Goliath. Copy the whole map, flip it around, and join the two parts. I would rather do that with the original Unwheel map instead of using Wrongturn but I've already done a lot of work on it so I'll probably just keep going. I would still like to be able to use other assets from Unwheel, though, so thanks for the help, Wormbo. I'll see if I can get that to work.

One weird thing. When I copied the map and flipped it around and joined it, the BSP lighting part of the build took a very long time (I'm guessing about 30 minutes). I've never seen that problem before. I couldn't figure out what was wrong so I had to scrap all my work and start over.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
Binger

Okay, so I was way wrong. The UnWheel folders do need to be in the UT2004 directory and it does not run from it's own .exe file. That is just the installer. It either runs from the Mod screen in UT2004 or from the Start window if its installed with the installer, which is what I did. I was running the mod and editor from the start menu which is I guess why I falsely remembered them being run from .exe files. Anyway, I felt stupid when I went back and read what I wrote so I had to clear that up.

I still don't know how to get Unwheel content into an Onslaught map. It looks like the person who did UrbanCircuit/WrongTurn somehow converted the whole map at once and myLeveled all the Unwheel packages. If I try to open an UnWheel map or any of it's assets in the Ut2004 editor it crashes and Iirc I was getting crashes somewhere when I tried to use the Unwheel editor to save maps as Onslaught maps. I'll have to check that out again though to be sure.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:29 PM   #5
Binger

You were right, ofc, Wormbo about running the editor with that parameter to get the Unwheel editor but I decided to run the installer for Unwheel so now I can just open it from the start menu.

I've managed to get an UnWheel map to open in the Ut2004 editor by deleting some UnWheel volumes from the map. I like some of the changes done in the DW/WrongTurn version but I'd rather go back to the original UnWheel version and start from there. I'm running into some issues though...

When I save the map in the regular UT2004 directory and then open the map with the UT2004 editor I ofc get a failed to load message for all the Unwheel assets. I obviously don't want to have to have all those packages available to run the map so I was going to pick out just the meshes and textures used in the map and put them in two new packages (or myLevel them). This is not working for me though. I'm not sure how to do this and I'm not getting it right. The only way I can see to do this is to pick a static mesh from the existing package then choose the option to "create a static mesh from selection". Seems to make sense but when I do that and use a new package name nothing happens. Then when I exit the editor I will get a message saying that I need to save a dirty package and it gives the name I used. I save it at that point but when I open the editor back up and try to open that package (which shows up in the folder) it doesn't seem to load it and instead just brings up a bunch of static meshes from another package. I tried the same thing with myLevel but it doesn't add the static mesh I selected to the myLevel package.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Maybe I have to export all of them and then import them into a new package???

Last edited by Binger; 07-29-2015 at 11:53 PM..
Old 07-30-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
Wormbo
Wormlike

You can also rename assets in the corresponding browser. Renaming allows you to change any aspect of an asset's name, including the package it is stored in. Just remember to save only the map, not the asset package.

You can use UTPT to check what external references the map still has, then repeat the process for remaining assets.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:02 AM   #7
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
You can also rename assets in the corresponding browser. Renaming allows you to change any aspect of an asset's name, including the package it is stored in. Just remember to save only the map, not the asset package.

You can use UTPT to check what external references the map still has, then repeat the process for remaining assets.
I tried renaming (I forget the result) but eventually I got it to work by right-clicking the static mesh in the perspective view of the map and selecting convert to static mesh. I used a new package name but again that package wouldn't show up in the browser until I exited the editor and got the message to save the dirty package. After that every time I would do the same process on another SM it would show up in the previously created package immediately and then I could save it from the browser. So now I can get all the static meshes used in the UnWheel map into one package that I can use in an Onslaught map. Now it's on to the textures...

Forgive my ignorance but I'll do my best. I think that the meshes I'm trying to use were exported from the modeling app without any texture image for the surfaces. They are applied in the asset browser under materials. This confuses me though because textures and materials are not the same thing in a modeling app. I've never understood that part of UT mapping. Anyway, they use Shaders, which I don't understand, and I couldn't get any of those into another package but I did get the textures that look just like the shaders into another package. Problem is I can't use those textures on the static meshes in the UT2004 editor. I can apply them to the surface of BSP cuts but not to static meshes in the asset browser under materials or in the properties for the SM as skins. I can use stock textures but not the ones I pulled from the UnWheel packages. Weird, especially since I can apply them to BSP surfaces. So that's where I'm at now.

UTPT is great but I shouldn't need it for that. I am deleting the meshes from the UnWheel map after I repackage them so I will just go through all of them one at a time. Plus when I load the map in the UT2004 editor it tells me what it's missing with a load error pop-up. I'll have to check out UTPT though to see if it can help me repackage things faster. I'm not very familiar with it.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:17 AM   #8
Binger

Okay, I think I've got this mostly figured out. The Rename trick worked on the textures so I tried it again on the static meshes and it worked, well mostly, still a bit of an issue there but we'll see. Thanks for that suggestion, Wormbo. I finally figured out the Shader issue so I should be able to use those. It wasn't really building it right, specifically the diffuse and specularity mask (which is Greek to me) but I think I've got it now. Tedious work though. Still running into some issues but at this point I'm mostly just trying to figure out how to do all this with the least amount of work.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:09 AM   #9
Wormbo
Wormlike

UTPT analyzes packages in standa-alone mode, i.e. it can tell you all external references via the "Import Tree". Do a "Collapse all" on that to get a list of referenced packages, then expand them individually to see the referenced assets. Note that StaticMesh assets may reference textures, so those will only start popping up in the list after you moved the SM to the map or some other package.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:41 PM   #10
Binger

That will provide me with a good checklist. Thanks, again.

The UW static meshes referencing textures in UW folders is what's holding me up the most. I seems like I'm going to have to redo all those references once I get those textures moved to a package in the UT2004 folder. I haven't found a way around that yet. I'm trying to get the map prepped in the UW editor so that I can rename it as an Onslaught map and move it to the UT folder without breaking reference links. I keep starting over when I find better ways to do that and I'm getting closer but the texture part is an obstacle.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #11
Binger

I keep screwing this up so I'm going to take a break from it for a while. I want to move on with seeing if I can make a decent Onslaught layout with UrbanCircuit so I just moved all the needed UnWheel assets over to UT2004 for now. I will deal with repackaging the meshes and textures later. The important thing is that I now know that I can do it so maybe when I get back to it later it will go smoother. Thanks again for the help, Wormbo.

Here's a screenie from the editor from where I last saved. Still a lot of work to be done in that area but I think it's coming along. I'll start a new thread for the map when I get further along.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner