Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

RANT Time for a break I think

Server is the best around, from the players to the admins, none better.

For me though, the shine is a bit dull. For most, the server lags badly and crashes frequently. For a certain few, lag is not a problem. I have played this game almost everyday since 2006 and on this night my frustration is peaking.

I watched/ chased this player around on Magicisle and although our pings were only 4 points apart, he moved around with precision, shot with accuracy, while I and the rest of my team watched a slide show. Player was doing loops around the castle nodes from underneath to the top and even though we were shooting at him, he was not being hit.

Seemed like an advantage of some kind. Some say ping, I dont know.

I would like to see the overpowered fliers removed because every map that they are in, is dominated by them, and the Low Ping Bastards who use them. So the LPB, get the overpowered fliers and ruin the gaming experience for the rest of us. The mino is powerful but it is slow, so ping is not so much of a factor in its use, but the modded fliers give the LPB so much of an advantage, I look at it like a cheat.

Deemer, mino, kraken, deemer tank etc. powerful but slow.. there is a relationship between the speed and power. That ratio was not used when the modded fliers were created.

Now, I know that nothing is going to change just because of one players opinion. I never thought I would think this, but I can now see the end of UT for me.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Flounder
Server Admin

I thought I might have been the Falcon flying culprit until I read the part about the precise motion and accurate shooting.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
Bastard
Omni Annoyance

Even know I have not been around in a while, hate to see a good player walk away from the game. Ping is a big factor in this game (Carpe...), but you gotta do what you have to. My opinion for the "overpowered" flyers is that people bitch and bitch about them on so many threads when really you get so pissed or frustrated you cant play right and it gets harder and harder to kill them! I think every its how you use them honestly, if used correctly to defend and protect the nodes instead of spawn killing and just flying around, I dont think it would be such a big issue. Any who, hope to see you back someday, dont be a stranger.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:00 AM   #4
Binger

I'm going to be taking a break for a while also as I just moved back to Texas and had to leave my desktop PC in Seattle. Maybe if Bastard is playing when I get back to the game I will use my "Binger" name. Can anyone guess what name I've been using? No fair looking it up Admins.

The Wasp/Falcon argument is old but I couldn't agree more, Crow. Ridiculous balancing and the reason I usually opt out of Omaha and Magic. I have found that the Phoenix is good at taking them down though because it has more range and is very effective at taking down other flyers if you've got a decent ping.

I also noticed lag problems right after the last server move but it does seem to crash slightly less often, except for after Desert Junkyard.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
DarkMatter

Welcome back pardner!

Old 10-07-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Binger

Thanks. It took me a moment to figure that out DM, considering the good-bye theme of this thread. I've only been back a couple of weeks and I'm already saying y'all. I've lived here for over 20 years off and on so it does feel good to be back.

Crow, don't be so final. Just take a break and when you come back skip the overpowered flyer maps.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
hardspike
Server Admin

MagicIsle is the only popular map where the Wasps are that dominant. I never really understood that it was all about being out-pinged when going head to head with a Wasp or Wasp to Wasp. It's not a problem if your team controls the middle 7 and 9 nodes on Magic I always try to get control of those nodes for that reason. If your team doesn't have the Wasps it's going to be a tough round.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:54 PM   #8
analog
Community Veteran

I shut down the AS server, I don't ever see anyone on it so lets see if that helps. If it does (even a little), we can look at moving the mtmu someplace else. UT is pretty much the only thing running on this machine, the 2 top processes are always ut
Old 10-08-2012, 11:58 PM   #9
steve
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog View Post
I shut down the AS server, I don't ever see anyone on it so lets see if that helps. If it does (even a little), we can look at moving the mtmu someplace else. UT is pretty much the only thing running on this machine, the 2 top processes are always ut
That makes me real real sad. Not that it doesn't make sense in 2012, is just sad.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #10
analog
Community Veteran

I know, we will set it up on another server, we just have to set priorities at the moment and that is ONS and MTMU as decided by the traffic, they get the most business
Old 10-09-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
Beth

Oh the omni AS maps are so cool. I'm glad it will be back up again!

Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
hardspike
Server Admin

Finally learned that Mr. Crow plays under the name Racer X!

Another thought about the fliers on MagicIsle. Don't engage them! Don't chase them around. Get out and kill the enemy's nodes. Or engage that powerful flyer, but lead him away from the action, keep him occupied for a while.

Also, if you don't like the flyers, get even. There's lots of trucks available where you can find a nice spot and pick them off one by one - with single shots. It can be quite satisfying. But sometimes you have to be patient. Kind of like fishing.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:38 AM   #13
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
Finally learned that Mr. Crow plays under the name Racer X!

Another thought about the fliers on MagicIsle. Don't engage them! Don't chase them around. Get out and kill the enemy's nodes. Or engage that powerful flyer, but lead him away from the action, keep him occupied for a while.

Also, if you don't like the flyers, get even. There's lots of trucks available where you can find a nice spot and pick them off one by one - with single shots. It can be quite satisfying. But sometimes you have to be patient. Kind of like fishing.

Yes Hardspike we knew who Racer X was. Yet another who uses a different name. Many of the players do that. But their voice gives them away. Gunshy has a different name on almost every map! LOL
Yes many of the maps like Magicisle do have those annoying fliers and but there are some maps that if you do tuck yourself away in a corner you still get attacked from above or else a damn badger gets you. I can deal with the fliers but I can honestly say I think badgers are 10 times worse.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
Yes Hardspike we knew who Racer X was. Yet another who uses a different name. Many of the players do that. But their voice gives them away.
I recognize players by their voices too. Never seen Mr. Crow playing on the server, or if I did he wasn't using a mic. On the forum players who have different handles will often put the in-game name in their signature.

So when I see a post from Mr. Crow here I really had no idea who he was. Guess I'm not as with-it as everyone else. Or, maybe I haven't turned on the forum feature that allows me to here players speaking on this message board

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught