Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 10-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Beth

Default This is why...

This is why we need some new maps on omni. I'm not complaining I'm just prooving a point. I have said already that some maps are played in less than 5 min and some take 15 or longer. But one thing that shouldn't happen is when you get the WHOLE map is your color (Red or Blue) and you tell your team to just WAIT to hit the opposing core!!! The other team had to shoot two nodes for 5 or 6 min its ridiculous!
I have observed this before but last night I knew it was happening again. So I told this person not to do that.
If your team gets the whole map (on a good map or not) don't waste time waiting till the timer goes to zero so you get only 1 point! It ruins the game. Dude if your team gets 2 points then go with it! Hit the freakin core already. I guess your just trying to save the map cause it's a good one. Just don't.

Those older maps are needed back on the server so this might not happen.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:41 PM   #2
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Been tried before Beth. The players refuse to play anything new. There are currently 93 maps on the server.
The top 28 maps have been played approximately 31,000 times since the counter was reset. The rest (65) have
been played about 4,000 times. See a problem ?

The only way to do it is to up the cool down counter (# of maps which must be played before a particular map
can be voted on again) up dramatically (it's currently at 20) or remove the favourite maps entirely. Both of these
will elicit much screaming and gnashing of the teeth.

We could also have no voting what-so-ever and let the server do random maps. You can imagine how that would go over.

"Older" maps also don't fly because... OH MY GOD THERE IS NO [insert random super vehicle]. As someone who has
played UT2K4 ONS since it emerged from the primordial stew of great games, I can tell you that (for the most part)
playing with the stock vehicles is much more of an engaging experience. But "todays" generation needs action, all
the time, everywhere with the biggest baddest weapons possible. The subtleties of great ONS battles are lost on
the "new generation" of maps/players.

Any suggestions ?

Old 10-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Adolytsi
Vernacular Spectacular

For what it's worth, I don't think the lack of variety in the map selection is to blame for that sort of behavior. It's just people enjoying being dicks to other people. I recall several times where I was on the winning team and overheard some top players actively telling the team to not take down the core and to make the other team suffer for the rest of the round. I muttered a "fuck you" in my head and went ahead and took down the core myself, to the protest of the people leading the schadenfreude charge. I did it because I know what it's like to be on the receiving end of that, and it is not pleasant at all, and ruins the gaming experience for me, and because I'm not a dick (hey Steve, remember that Not a Dick club you started, that I joined? I meant it.).

That sort of thing just ruins the fun for everyone on the losing team, and it is not sportsmanlike at all. "Blah blah blah this isn't a game this is war, blargh blarghy blargh." Allow me to speak facts rather than subjectivity when I say that, NO, you are wrong; it IS a game, and if you're deliberately causing grief (aka GRIEFING) to the other players in your game, other team or your own, you're not playing the game how it should be played, you're not being a big man with a huge score and an even huger e-penis, you're just being a dick, plain and simple. And if you are, don't hide behind words and so-called strategies to explain your dick behavior, own up to it, cause everyone knows it; just say "Yes, I'm doing it because I'm a dick. And I don't care." People will hate you, but they should, because people hate dicks, and if you're being a dick, then you're gonna be hated. Deal with it, the way you try and make all of us deal with your dick behavior.

Thanks for loaning me your soapbox, Beth; you may have it back now.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 PM   #4
Sereval
Just Registered

There was a time when I was just happy to play UT2K4 no mater what the map was, and I could play for hours. Now I play a few games a month and I'm very picky about the maps. We modded the maps and the vehicles to extend the interest, we even changed some of the rules. As far as I'm concern we pushed the game to it's limit. We don't need new maps or vehicles, we need a new game.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:13 AM   #5
DarkMatter

I'm always interested in new maps but no more new vehicles/weapons I'd say those have reached if not exceeded a limit. New maps with careful consideration towards not placing too many of the powerful/overpowered super vehicles would probably be the best route. Although "careful consideration" would likely be open to quite a bit of debate for each map.
*sigh* it's a complicated issue

Old 10-10-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Wormbo
Wormlike

Top 28, hmm? Try 30 as cool-down counter. People then will have to deal with the "unknown" maps once in a while.
And about the vehicles: The biggest drawback of having super-fast/super-powerful vehicles is that you don't stand the slightest chance against them when you are on foot. And that happens often enough, I think. (If it doesn't, the map probably has too many vehicles in it.) Whenever I create new vehicles, I'm trying to balance them against the standard set of vehicles.

With the hovertank I accidentally gave Raptors a strong advantage, simply by making the tank a hovercraft and thus attracting the Raptor rockets. But that's all ok because at a reasonable distance, the Poltergeist can still try to take out the Raptor with the heat ray. The new hovertank I'm working on has special anti-air rockets for the gunner to defend itself because its primary gun is "only" the standard tank shell.
Or the Hail of Steel with its long-range Mercury rockets. Those are good against stationary and slow-moving targets, but are of limited use in air-to-air combat or against small ground targets due to their lack of accuracy if you spam them. The gunner will get a branching link-beam that should be a good all-around weapon, provided the pilot gets close to opponents. Might have devastating effect if the opponent is dump enough to stick together. Then again, an opponent might decide to do that to take advantage of the branching link-heal of the same weapon if used on team mates.

Has anyone ever considered allowing the Translocator to be used in Onslaught? Could be necessary to create a more vehicle-aware version of it, but might be worth a try.

And maybe people should think about more non-overkill vehicles to make things more interesting on new maps.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
Top 28, hmm? Try 30 as cool-down counter. People then will have to deal with the "unknown" maps once in a while.
And about the vehicles: The biggest drawback of having super-fast/super-powerful vehicles is that you don't stand the slightest chance against them when you are on foot. And that happens often enough, I think. (If it doesn't, the map probably has too many vehicles in it.) Whenever I create new vehicles, I'm trying to balance them against the standard set of vehicles.
I've tried upping the cool-down counter in the past Wormie, and as I said, you cannot believe the amount of bitchin' and whinin'
that went on.

And your comment on the super vehicles is bang on, they have all but eliminated any chance of infantry having any effect or
bearing on the game type. sad.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:59 PM   #8
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereval View Post
There was a time when I was just happy to play UT2K4 no mater what the map was, and I could play for hours. Now I play a few games a month and I'm very picky about the maps. We modded the maps and the vehicles to extend the interest, we even changed some of the rules. As far as I'm concern we pushed the game to it's limit. We don't need new maps or vehicles, we need a new game.
I know what your saying. That's why I started playing MW3 and BF3.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Beth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Been tried before Beth. The players refuse to play anything new. There are currently 93 maps on the server.
The top 28 maps have been played approximately 31,000 times since the counter was reset. The rest (65) have
been played about 4,000 times. See a problem ?

The only way to do it is to up the cool down counter (# of maps which must be played before a particular map
can be voted on again) up dramatically (it's currently at 20) or remove the favourite maps entirely. Both of these
will elicit much screaming and gnashing of the teeth.

We could also have no voting what-so-ever and let the server do random maps. You can imagine how that would go over.

"Older" maps also don't fly because... OH MY GOD THERE IS NO [insert random super vehicle]. As someone who has
played UT2K4 ONS since it emerged from the primordial stew of great games, I can tell you that (for the most part)
playing with the stock vehicles is much more of an engaging experience. But "todays" generation needs action, all
the time, everywhere with the biggest baddest weapons possible. The subtleties of great ONS battles are lost on
the "new generation" of maps/players.

Any suggestions ?
I didn't mean get rid of the maps that have been played over and over. I just meant that maybe that short list of 7 or 8 maps (that I recently sent to you) might be thrown in there. Just for a mixture of choice. Some of those were really good maps.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
<LBG>LooseCannon
Let the hate flow . . .

Remove the duplicated maps, like the bathroom maps (3 bathrooms is great for a house, too damn many for a server,) increase the cool down by 2 every couple of days so no one notices (you wanna boil a frog, you don't throw him in boiling water; you throw him in warm water and gradually raise the heat.) Reduce the kick vote requirement so we can remove the asshats easier (they seem to be fucking multiplying and trying to get a group of shitheads to vote out one of their own is as useless as trying to flap your arms and fly to Mars.) Make victory best of 3 matches - no overtime.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 PM   #11
Binger

There's a map I've been playing around with called ONS-Aeterna. I think the stock version would work good with just a little work on the spawn points and weapons lockers. I have 3 different versions I've been changing around (mostly stock, laser madness, and TMU) but I don't think I pulled them off of my hard drive before packing up my PC and putting it in storage in Seattle. I actually did a lot of work on it besides vehicles so I will see if it's on my USB drive that I have with me. I haven't tried to contact the original author though. I was kind of just doing it for myself.

It's kind of small for an outdoor map but it's very pretty and I think it has some potential.

I downloaded it recently and I think it was from Gamefront but I don't have any copies of the game right now so I can't check for sure if this is the version I was playing.

http://www.gamefront.com/files/13786...S_Aeterna_v1_0

Here's the Epic forums link.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/411278-ONS-Aeterna
Old 10-11-2012, 04:07 PM   #12
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth View Post
I just meant that maybe that short list of 7 or 8 maps (that I recently sent to you) might be thrown in there. Just for a mixture of choice. Some of those were really good maps.
You did ? Don't remember seeing them. PM them to me. I prefer you have the files already, but I don't want to go searching
for them. If you don't send me the maps (and associated required files) at least give me working links please.

I can put 200 more maps on the server, I'm saying they won't see the light of day because they won't get voted on. But
by all means, send them to me again and I'll put them on.

*shrug*

Old 10-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #13
hardspike
Server Admin

How about the plain-vanilla stock version of Primeval? There may be a modified version that looks exactly the same but is optimized for a 32 player server. I used to love that map before I found Omni. Would be a blast to play.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 PM   #14
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
How about the plain-vanilla stock version of Primeval? There may be a modified version that looks exactly the same but is optimized for a 32 player server. I used to love that map before I found Omni. Would be a blast to play.

You mean like ONS-Primeval-X2-T32-ZBeta4 ?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #15
hardspike
Server Admin

ONS-Primeval-X2-T32-ZBeta4 looks like this:

I'm asking for the stock version that looks like this:

I seem to recall there was a modified version that worked better with 32 players but kept everything the same, including the node layout, etc.

Welcome to last year? Try welcome to three years ago!

Old 10-14-2012, 03:50 AM   #16
steve
Server Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolytsi View Post
(hey Steve, remember that Not a Dick club you started, that I joined? I meant it.).
I kinda remember that. I still try not to be, although I'm not always well-received.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

I think this is also what eventually broke Techcom's neck. The map list got extended more and more with maps that featured overpowered vehicles (people already started to call the server "Omni.eu") in the hope to attract the action-oriented youth in fear of a declining playerbase of the game in general.
What it did was eventually scaring all the oldschool players away that it had.

Those eventually found refuge on the new CEONSS server that was created by one of those former Techcom players and which featured more maps with balanced vehicles while still providing a lot of variety in gameplay. And today you can see which server is filled on a daily base while the other one is dead. Phoenix from the ashes, I say. Might give you something to think about in terms of map selection.

Would probably be interesting to see how the majority of people would vote in a poll that would ask whether or not people would prefer to have >50% of the maps on Omni to be with classic balanced vehicles or the )o(mnified ones instead. Maybe this "majority of young people that want only action" is not even all that much of a majority as it's thought to be?
Old 10-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
laboRHEinz
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
[...]Those eventually found refuge on the new CEONSS server that was created by one of those former Techcom players [...]
sorry for having to correct you but ... that's not the whole story. In fact I used to be a }TCP{-ONS-32P-player, back in 2007. They never had modded vecs and I enjoyed that. Had to switch to Techcom after TCP got empty.
BTW "new" is kinda relative; ceonss was "born" in 2009.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Schadenfreude
Getting there...

Stock maps are better IMO.

They separate the men from the boys.

Occasionally I see one of the OMNI regulars on a Torlan server. They almost always cry "bot" and leave.
Sure, there are botters that show up from time to time, but there are also a few veterans that are so good, they make the
botters rage-quit. Not to mention the fairly strong admin presence keeping them out.

If one can overcome the frustration of pretty much re-learning the game, stock maps are the way to go for a more fulfilling gaming experience.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM   #20
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboRHEinz View Post
sorry for having to correct you but ... that's not the whole story. In fact I used to be a }TCP{-ONS-32P-player, back in 2007. They never had modded vecs and I enjoyed that. Had to switch to Techcom after TCP got empty.
BTW "new" is kinda relative; ceonss was "born" in 2009.
Now where do you come crawling from all out of the sudden? Registered for ages but never posting anything up till now.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught