Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 11-13-2017, 11:48 AM   #1
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Default Why is it some players...seem to have differences in killing/dying

Ok, maybe I am crazy, but it seems like certain players take many more shots to kill than others...now I know there's Kegs and Shields (Shields are visible), but still I've swear this happens even in vehicles--some players seem to take more to bring down than others.

I know others have commented on this as well.

I am not saying its necessarily hax, but something is different--could be in the way the network/server interaction is happening making it look like shots that hit actually miss (like the Hurricane thing).

I've also seen some players goo me in the Levi and its spins my view, while others do it and it just does damage (same map--the one I am thinking of was Nevermore...I usually never spin there...)

I've also seen players fall from great heights, when I certainly splat, even with a shield down, continue to fire and then landed like nothing happened?
Old 11-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

I believe certain vehicles have weak spots. If anyone would care to explain them I think we'd all appreciate it.

Also does shooting someone in the head always decrease HP faster? I know about the snipers but does it make a difference with any other weapons?

To the rest yes sometimes it feels that way to me too, I just assume they had max health and shield.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #3
Turbo K
Community Veteran

If you have 100 health and aim your shield straight down, you will survive a fall at any height.

The vehicle damage issue is almost certainly unregistered hits, or "unregs". The custom vehicles have some issues with this, and large ping differences can affect it as well.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Terminator
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post

Also does shooting someone in the head always decrease HP faster? I know about the snipers but does it make a difference with any other weapons?
No. If you shock beam someone on the foot, 45 damage. If you shock beam someone on the chest/head, 45 damage. Only does more damage when you shoot someone in the head with a Sniper Rifle or Lightning gun.

Sniper Rifle: 60 damage
Lightning gun: 70 damage

Snipe Rifle Head shot: 120 damage
Lightning gun Head shot: 140 damage.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #5
Xexx

Personally I tend to think there's an issue with the amount of projectiles allowed in most maps these days. Unregistered shots are far more noticeable with slow firing vehicles, but all these fast shooting miniguns and turrets are dominating a lot of maps and vehicles these days. It's no longer just a minigun on a tank that's rarely used like it used to be. I imagine it happens to them as well, but we just don't notice it near as much because they're firing rapidly for small damage hits. Is it possible it's over taxing the server to keep track of everything? Could enabling hit sounds help track unregistered shots?

As for some people being harder to kill, it's hard to say. Unfortunately from spectating I'd say at least half the players simply don't know simple proficient movement in this game. They're holding down W to move forward and either don't know or don't care that they can move faster and be harder to hit by tapping the sideways movement keys. I think this combined with unregistered shots, a little lag, keg health and shields could be causing it.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:01 PM   #6
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexx View Post
Unfortunately from spectating I'd say at least half the players simply don't know simple proficient movement in this game.
x2
Old 11-15-2017, 01:25 AM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

You mean running in a straight line shooting single rockets is not an effective tactic? Paracleetus, care to comment???
Old 11-15-2017, 10:02 AM   #8
Colbye
YouTube.com/user/WColbyK

None of this applies to me, considering I can throw a rock at the ocean and miss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuythatkillsU
I donít think thereís volcanoes here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbye
Well, thereís a big ole hole thatís red on the inside...I donít know what else that could be.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #9
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
You mean running in a straight line shooting single rockets is not an effective tactic? Paracleetus, care to comment???
Single rockets -> ME

I must be the ONLY one on this server that is running 100% stock, NO MODS, straight out-of-the-box. I have no motivation to add all the accelerators you guys have. Mostly cause I'm lazy and just wanna play and not tweek my .whatever file it is, etc. I tweek .whatever files all day at work, I don't have energy to do it on my own time, LOL.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:34 AM   #10
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbye View Post
None of this applies to me, considering I can throw a rock at the ocean and miss.
This may be the single most truthful thing that has ever been said.

A
Old 11-16-2017, 11:36 AM   #11
Lagzilla
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
Single rockets ->I must be the ONLY one on this server that is running 100% stock, NO MODS, straight out-of-the-box.
No "add on" crap here either. Straight off the digital stream. Not even reticles.

A
Old 11-16-2017, 11:50 AM   #12
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post
No "add on" crap here either. Straight off the digital stream. Not even reticles.

A
Outstanding Lag!

I'm curious how many would admit this tho.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:13 PM   #13
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
If you have 100 health and aim your shield straight down, you will survive a fall at any height.
I need to test this, my original point is I've seen players shooting while falling from quite a height and still live, I've fallen shield down and splat.

There must be a weak spot on the mino, I've had a few players do 900+ damage with a goo gun one shot, I know it has a huge dmg multiplier but still, even with the alt fire big glob, I can't seem to get a full health mino down that quick.

Hit sounds would be nice....the unreg thing does seem to happen more at least with hitsounds you'd know...shot a mino with a mino twice (direct hits) and it didn't go down (RedPlanet yesterday)..then he nailed me.

And the harder it seems like its same hits, or amount of time it takes to bring them down, now I am not great shot, but I can aim for the ocean and not miss. I should record a session and watch it back, might show better. Some weapons like Shock Rifle you can "see" the hit.

It also seems like the server's been lagging more lately (maybe just me, as the kids hog the bandwidth).
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xexx View Post
Personally I tend to think there's an issue with the amount of projectiles allowed in most maps these days. Unregistered shots are far more noticeable with slow firing vehicles, but all these fast shooting miniguns and turrets are dominating a lot of maps and vehicles these days. It's no longer just a minigun on a tank that's rarely used like it used to be. I imagine it happens to them as well, but we just don't notice it near as much because they're firing rapidly for small damage hits. Is it possible it's over taxing the server to keep track of everything? Could enabling hit sounds help track unregistered shots?

As for some people being harder to kill, it's hard to say. Unfortunately from spectating I'd say at least half the players simply don't know simple proficient movement in this game. They're holding down W to move forward and either don't know or don't care that they can move faster and be harder to hit by tapping the sideways movement keys. I think this combined with unregistered shots, a little lag, keg health and shields could be causing it.
Quote:
Outstanding Lag!

Nothing fancy here. Old iMac running 10.6.8. All i've done in-game is max my FOV and drop my mouse sensitivity down to almost nothing. I changed my left shift key to "walk" and that's it.

I used to have Q set to draw the Avril but too many accidental ctrl+Q incidents... Thinking i'm about to waste that enemy manta coming at me and suddenly i'm staring at my desktop, while they're probably wondering wtf kind of strategy is that? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcqQV1ZoW2g
Old 11-17-2017, 12:34 AM   #15
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
I can land from any height and deploy the shield gun at the end of the fall and have 15 health. Do that consistently. Is that what you're referring to? Or are you saying if I am down a little better I can land with 100 health?

I have noticed on some maps if you land on an incline or the side of a hill you keep a lot of health, maybe end up with 70 or 80 instead of 15.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:03 PM   #16
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Well a couple of things:
On a shield drop... don't have it on the whole time, only turn it on at the end of the fall. The shield drains as you have it up... the lower the shield charge, the lower the damage absorption.

On the Mino w the goo gun... if you have the damage amp plus the goo, you can get high damage numbers.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 11-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #17
duh
www.gotse.cx

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers View Post
Well a couple of things:
On a shield drop... don't have it on the whole time, only turn it on at the end of the fall. The shield drains as you have it up... the lower the shield charge, the lower the damage absorption.

THANK YOU!

I guess I never considered the shield-drain thing....learn something new every day!
Old 11-19-2017, 03:24 PM   #18
Binger

No one hacks this game. They only hack modern triple A games with the latest anti-cheat tech. It's too hard to hack UT2004. But, just for fun, if you were to look on torrents you could probably find something similar to what you said. It won't work though because no one hacks this game.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:19 PM   #19
-Goose-
Getting there...

zomg... typed post got eaten....

Cliff Notes:

1) Ask server admins to increase tick (will come with downsides / will not always work)
2) Try higher tick for something like 2 weeks
3) Decide if the tradeoffs are worth the (sometimes) better hit registration
Old 11-20-2017, 10:20 AM   #20
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagzilla View Post

A
Quote:
Outstanding Lag!

Well that's all cool. I will say that I don't view your "practices" as anything to hold up to the sky
and champion though. It's like being a carpenter and showing up at a job-site with a box full
of power tools but deciding you're only going to use hand tools because...

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Goose- View Post
zomg... typed post got eaten....

Cliff Notes:

1) Ask server admins to increase tick (will come with downsides / will not always work)
2) Try higher tick for something like 2 weeks
3) Decide if the tradeoffs are worth the (sometimes) better hit registration
We could do this if pepe's are interested. Currently:

Quote:
NetServerMaxTickRate=26
LanServerMaxTickRate=26
As you alluded to though, higher tickrate, particularly on a 32 player server with traffic
gridlock and shite flying all over the place, can have some "devastating" results.

What would you suggest as a starting point Goose ?

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught