Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 02-12-2005, 03:06 AM   #1
ScoRp!oN
The CLIT Commander

Default Feeling Stuck

I seem to have hit a creative road block. Maybe it's because there are just too many meshes and textures and I can't decide on what to use to actually decorate my map. I'm kind of an indecisive person to begin with, and if there are just too many choices sometimes I get overwhelmed and can't choose. I haven't been working on it, rather I've been thinking of other ideas... I just seem to be stuck on what I'm on.
Send a message via ICQ to ScoRp!oN Send a message via AIM to ScoRp!oN ScoRp!oN is offline  
Old 02-12-2005, 03:42 AM   #2
Stormblade
HARBINGER

It's called "Mapper's Block". We all get it from time to time and it sucks ass!! My advice, walk away from your map for a day or 2 and see if that helps. If not, just do what I do.... Go through every single friggin' stupid ass static mesh package that are retail packages and look at each and every single friggin' stupid ass static mesh that's in each and every one of them. *Scorp says "WHAT???"* :butthead:

When you come across something you like, add it into the map and keep going. (I usually create a large subtracted cube somewhere away from the main part of the map to put these in. It's called a "construction room". Here you can also create your custom brushes and do the "intersect\deintersect" thingy-ma-bobkins as well to them, then select as 1 brush and edit\copy, now you can actually put things where you wan them.

It's a long process, but after a while, you'll get used to what meshes are where and you can become more efficient at mesh hunting. Just remember, when your map is done, delete the construction room and all within it as well. Let me know what kind of map it is and maybe I could give you a few leads as where to start looking. Happy Mapping!

Time is a wonderful teacher, unfortunately, it eventually kills all of its students.

My UT Maps
My UnWheel Maps, 6 within the BonusPack v1
Old 02-12-2005, 03:46 AM   #3
ScoRp!oN
The CLIT Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormblade
It's called "Mapper's Block". We all get it from time to time and it sucks ass!! My advice, walk away from your map for a day or 2 and see if that helps. If not, just do what I do.... Go through every single friggin' stupid ass static mesh package that are retail packages and look at each and every single friggin' stupid ass static mesh that's in each and every one of them. *Scorp says "WHAT???"* :butthead:

When you come across something you like, add it into the map and keep going. (I usually create a large subtracted cube somewhere away from the main part of the map to put these in. It's called a "construction room". Here you can also create your custom brushes and do the "intersect\deintersect" thingy-ma-bobkins as well to them, then select as 1 brush and edit\copy, now you can actually put things where you wan them.

It's a long process, but after a while, you'll get used to what meshes are where and you can become more efficient at mesh hunting. Just remember, when your map is done, delete the construction room and all within it as well. Let me know what kind of map it is and maybe I could give you a few leads as where to start looking. Happy Mapping!
LoL I already did this. Actually one of the first things I did because I was tired of going through the mesh packages so often. I just built this HUGE cube in my map and stuck everything I think I might use or liked in that thing. I can't do the same with textures though... Weird how that's the first thing you suggest and one of the first ideas I came up with on my own.
Send a message via ICQ to ScoRp!oN Send a message via AIM to ScoRp!oN ScoRp!oN is offline  
Old 02-12-2005, 03:48 AM   #4
Stormblade
HARBINGER

Great minds think alike? :supz:

Time is a wonderful teacher, unfortunately, it eventually kills all of its students.

My UT Maps
My UnWheel Maps, 6 within the BonusPack v1
Old 02-12-2005, 01:42 PM   #5
juggalo_kyle
LoLTAM

well what theme is that map? and if you posted up some screenshots, we could give you some basic ideas. also, what gametype is it?

IGN - LoL-Ish
Old 02-14-2005, 02:44 AM   #6
ScoRp!oN
The CLIT Commander

Well while I'm stuck, I have decided to take care of something that was bugging me. I felt that some proportions of my map were off and have wanted to chang them. After meticulously getting them the way I wanted, I decided I needed to scale them all. Oh what a pain. This will consume a lot of time all over again.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner