Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 09-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Assoul
Just Registered

Default Omni Server's Anti-Cheats?

I play on the UMG League servers, and word around the campfire is that people do in fact cheat (sometimes it's obvious too). Can Omni make a suggestion on what you use to stop cheaters? We really need something.

-Aaron
Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Schadenfreude
Getting there...

I have watched a few players on those Torlan demo servers and some are blatant aimbotters and they seem proud of it (or at least they don't
care who knows it). I have only seen one on DW and never on OMNI. There should be a way to send a signal to their computer, overvolting it,
causing a meltdown.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Assoul
Just Registered

Any names in particular?
Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Schadenfreude
Getting there...

Every time I have seen one, they use a stupid name that alludes to the fact they are botting. I can't remember any offhand,
but I'm sure it wouldn't do any good anyway. I might recognize one if I heard it.

I never assume someone is cheating unless it's really obvious. Like repeatedly peppering someone with a shock rifle at long range while
the victim is falling from a raptor at 100 mph or repeatedly hitting someone with a shock rifle when they are out of visual range.

Everyone gets lucky sometimes. That's why it's important to never jump the gun and accuse someone willy-nilly.
Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 AM   #5
Wormbo
Wormlike

Some servers let the players be the anti-cheat system. By taking on a special player name (e.g. "admin_needed") they can call for an admin, and assuming there's an admin listening for the call, the potential cheater can be taken care of. Abuse of the system isn't really possible, because even if someone calls the admin for no reason, someone needs to be hit by the ban hammer.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Turbo K
Community Veteran

What other ways of cheating are there besides aimbotting?

I once played Assault and it said someone was using a speed hack so the rest of us teamed up against him.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
Stoned_Oli
Whassup whitchu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
I have watched a few players on those Torlan demo servers and some are blatant aimbotters and they seem proud of it (or at least they don't
care who knows it). I have only seen one on DW and never on OMNI. There should be a way to send a signal to their computer, overvolting it,
causing a meltdown.
I was killed on MasterBath at DW from the table above the minigun with a lightning gun. I was in the minigun across the map, and happened to be zoomed in that direction at the time. One shot did it, too.

Rock on...
Old 09-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #8
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned_Oli View Post
I was killed on MasterBath at DW from the table above the minigun with a lightning gun. I was in the minigun across the map, and happened to be zoomed in that direction at the time. One shot did it, too.
Aren't headshots possible against players in some vehicles/turrets?
Old 09-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #9
Stoned_Oli
Whassup whitchu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
Aren't headshots possible against players in some vehicles/turrets?
Yes, but not all the way across the map. Someone had been spec'ing the guy and said he was botting, too.

Rock on...
Old 09-26-2010, 10:58 PM   #10
Binger

Quote:
Yes, but not all the way across the map. Someone had been spec'ing the guy and said he was botting, too.
Oh, I get it. Sounds fishy but are you sure that is out of LG range?
Old 09-26-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
Silent_Treatment
MTMU Hater

Pretty sure you can be headshotted out of a turret, but I thought only from the side. I know you can be hs-ed out of a scorpion as I've seen that many times.

Checking the LG range would be the sure fire way of knowing; I wouldn't base anything off of what a spec at DW says. That place is apparently full of _____s who have never seen an actual bot before (and therefore have no idea what one looks like).
Old 09-27-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
Stoned_Oli
Whassup whitchu?

Quote:
Yes, but not all the way across the map.
You CAN shoot LG all the way across. My bad...

Rock on...
Old 09-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #13
La5eR
Getting there...

FYI: the LG also is like a very sharp pin point shock rifle combo. It has a bit of splash damage, and noting this property I sometimes use it to get ppl that are just around the corner and shoot the ground that I think theyre standing adjacent to. This gets ppl to think that I am a bot as well.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 AM   #14
Schadenfreude
Getting there...

Quote:
You CAN shoot LG all the way across. My bad...
A lightning gun has a set range. I noticed this in StarReach when I was trying to hit a goliath with one and it came up short.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:55 AM   #15
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent_Treatment View Post
Pretty sure you can be headshotted out of a turret, but I thought only from the side. I know you can be hs-ed out of a scorpion as I've seen that many times.
Yeah, on MB it's particularly easy to take out the turret from the medicine cabinet- it's the perfect angle for a HS. I've never seen it done from the front.

Quote:
A lightning gun has a set range. I noticed this in StarReach when I was trying to hit a goliath with one and it came up short.
I believe that's a required attribute for all weapons. The only thing I can think of that has an 'extremely large' range is the sniper-tank thing on one of the MTMU's... Or a redeemer, but that's sort of obvious.

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #16
Wormbo
Wormlike

Two things:
  • Hitscan range is checked serversidely anyway. No way for a client to cheat on that part.
  • LG doesn't have splash damage. The effect sometimes called that are three smaller sparks originating from the main shot impact location and pointing in random directions. These do 30 damage and never receive any headshot bonus. Also, they cannot hit the same object as the main shot.
    If anything, you could compare it to a Flak shell that releases chunks on impact.

Head shots against vehicle drivers are explicitly possible for the Mingun turret, Manta and Scorpion. Also, the Hellbender rear turret seat is exposed enough (outside the vehicle collision) to allow a head shot directly, as long as it comes from above the Hellbender's main collision box.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 AM   #17
Crusha K. Rool
Crocodile | Map-Modder

Frontal headshots on the minigun turret are possible if you happen to be a bit higher than the turret is aiming.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:27 PM   #18
Stoned_Oli
Whassup whitchu?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
Frontal headshots on the minigun turret are possible if you happen to be a bit higher than the turret is aiming.
I will attest to that. The guy was on the upper shelf over the opposing minigun, and I was aiming at node 7. MasterBath7-RC1

Rock on...
Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #19
Silent_Treatment
MTMU Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by La5eR View Post
FYI: the LG also is like a very sharp pin point shock rifle combo. It has a bit of splash damage, and noting this property I sometimes use it to get ppl that are just around the corner and shoot the ground that I think theyre standing adjacent to. This gets ppl to think that I am a bot as well.
I call shenanigans on all counts.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

UT2k4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
What other ways of cheating are there besides aimbotting?

I once played Assault and it said someone was using a speed hack so the rest of us teamed up against him.
Multidodge, Server side platform spawning (found most commonly in trials) and custom weapons

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament