Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 05-18-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Gerbil
I'm Running In Ma Wheel

Default For Being Old

Firstly, its been a while since I visited here.

Recently i have started getting back into playing ONS and hear GTKU rant about how the team is **** brings back funny memories. So I started back in the day when it was all basic and still good fun, when i first played on Omni TMU and found the mino it was like OMG this tank is brilliant and the thrill was awesome. That thrill of these over powered tanks, flyers etc. has now worn off. I understand what i am about to suggest may be met with some resistance but talking to some people who i used to play with back in the day i find that they left due to the balance of being on foot and in a vehicle was lost.

With this is mind I would like to suggest that some original maps are added to the server, i.e Torlan i think it will be interesting to go back to our roots see who are the true vehicle hogs are and who are the ONS beasts. Yes you may say it will be a server killer but i would just like to see how it goes down and the other maps will still be on the server anyway.

Carpe, i know that you are in agreement with my statement about foot soldiers and vehicles, my question to you is would you be tempted back if an original map was being played and me termy pi and others were on there playing? Cause i know even with these people playing that you arent exactly enthralled by the idea of ONS anymore.

Gerbs
Old 05-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #2
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Yep, I would. However it's a pipe dream I think. I could put 40 or 50 GOOD old maps on the server. They
would never see the light of day. There would be so much bitchin' and whining I couldn't hear myself think.

It's sad. But true.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
Gerbil
I'm Running In Ma Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Yep, I would. However it's a pipe dream I think. I could put 40 or 50 GOOD old maps on the server. They
would never see the light of day. There would be so much bitchin' and whining I couldn't hear myself think.

It's sad. But true.
I think just put it to the community. See what they think... we shall see.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #4
McGimpkins

Quote:
Yep, I would. However it's a pipe dream I think. I could put 40 or 50 GOOD old maps on the server. They would never see the light of day. There would be so much bitchin' and whining I couldn't hear myself think.
Why don't we just put a bunch of maps up on the server? I mean we can leave it up to the tyranny of the masses to decided what they want to play. If people want to bitch (Xexx comes to mind) they can, hell they are always bitching about something, however some of the maps that people whine, complain, and label "fail", are some of my favorites. I mean we cannot play Master Bath, DriaTMU, and Magic Isles all the time can we? There are various ones that I used to play that have disappeared? ( I miss Grit Nights that is a recent casualty of the map black hole.)

The older maps without the super vehicles may not get played much during prime time (8 pm - 1 am EST) however I have played some of the more eclectic maps during the afternoons or very late at night.

All I'm saying is why not try it out. At the moment the "40 or 50 GOOD old maps" are never going to see the light of day if they are not available to be voted on, where as if they are up they at least have a chance too.

Last edited by McGimpkins; 05-18-2014 at 09:36 PM..
Old 05-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #5
GlueEater
Getting there...

Fellas just over two years ago (before I took over a year off) Carpe was so kind as to pull down all the TMU maps and put up many of the old school ones. Beth, I and only a few others played. Xexx, Provert and all the regulars that play now showed up, asked where all the TMU maps were and once we told them it was retro week, they promptly left. Such is the sad state of this game in 2014. Other than Dim, Term and two or three others no one can Death match worth a shit so they rely on vehicles to compete. Simply put, the more powerful the vehicle...the better.
The addition of all the Uber tanks has flipped this game over. I can remember when the high scores were in the mid 100s and those were players that went into and fought at the nodes. Now guys rack up 400-500 pts sitting around nodes and killing enemy players just trying to get there.
A couple weeks ago Little Glue was playing Tanks alot and was able to take down a goliath on foot by jumping around it. Xexx jumped out, threw down spider mines and ran away. She ended up getting killed by the spider mines. The sad part about that is thanks to weapons like spider mines, Dragons, Minotaurs, Falcons and Ions little pussies like Xexx now dominate this game. In my opinion it doesn't get any sadder than that.
Putting on some older maps? Sure go ahead...let's see what happens.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:01 PM   #6
Adolytsi
Vernacular Spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueEater View Post
Fellas just over two years ago (before I took over a year off) Carpe was so kind as to pull down all the TMU maps and put up many of the old school ones. Beth, I and only a few others played. Xexx, Provert and all the regulars that play now showed up, asked where all the TMU maps were and once we told them it was retro week, they promptly left. Such is the sad state of this game in 2014. Other than Dim, Term and two or three others no one can Death match worth a shit so they rely on vehicles to compete. Simply put, the more powerful the vehicle...the better.
Glue is unfortunately right. The last time we tried this was dubbed Retro Week, and it was an unmitigated disaster, and that was back when we still had more good solid players playing. I can't begin to imagine the fuss and uproar from the current player population if we were to try it again now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlueEater View Post
A couple weeks ago Little Glue was playing Tanks alot and was able to take down a goliath on foot by jumping around it. Xexx jumped out, threw down spider mines and ran away. She ended up getting killed by the spider mines. The sad part about that is thanks to weapons like spider mines, Dragons, Minotaurs, Falcons and Ions little pussies like Xexx now dominate this game. In my opinion it doesn't get any sadder than that.
This. This right here. This is one of the major reasons I ended up so disillusioned with the play over at Omni that I just found myself not even playing there at all anymore. Spider mines are the worst thing to happen to actual gameplay in ONS, specifically because they are so abusable; even when I was still playing here, I made it a point never to play any map with spider mines on it for this reason alone.

Carpe; you want to know the reason I stopped using the minigun altogether in Freon? Because the people who abuse the minigun are exactly the same kind of people who abuse the spider mines in ONS. To me, it is the exact same thing, with the exact same lazy "easy way out" fighting mentality that got me off the Omni server completely.

Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent. Yeah, Retro Week will not go over well if we try it today.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #7
analog
Community Veteran

Yep, the simple truth of the matter is this comes up once or twice a year and many times stock maps are added and they just don't get voted for and if you do happen to get one to win, people bail.

Sorry to say but its just a small minority that likes those maps A bunch of them were on the ONS server at the time when there was 2 ONS servers and still, everyone went to the mtmu server and the other server was a ghost town
Old 05-18-2014, 07:32 PM   #8
McGimpkins

I'm not saying do a retro week, and take away the maps people like to play, I'm just saying what is wrong with the map voting coming up and having a five hundred or so maps to play from? Is having too large of a selection somehow detrimental to the server?

Yeah you'll have the people that complain/quit because "I didn't get to play the map we always play" but I am able to keep a stiff upper lip and play maps I don't want.

In addition I am sure that the more popular maps will still be picked numerous times, however at least there is a selection.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:33 PM   #9
Gerbil
I'm Running In Ma Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGimpkins View Post
I'm not saying do a retro week, and take away the maps people like to play, I'm just saying what is wrong with the map voting coming up and having a five hundred or so maps to play from? Is having too large of a selection somehow detrimental to the server?
I remember the server had tons of maps on it one time... OMG it was a pain to find the map i wanted. Im just suggesting adding 5 or 10 oldskool ONS maps.

And Analog nice to see you again.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #10
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

"I'm just saying what is wrong with the map voting coming up and having a five hundred or so maps to play from? Is having too large of a selection somehow detrimental to the server?"

Mcgimpkins,
I have asked that before and never got a reply. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #11
steve
Server Sponsor

Quote:

Yeah you'll have the people that complain/quit because "I didn't get to play the map we always play" but I am able to keep a stiff upper lip and play maps I don't want.

In addition I am sure that the more popular maps will still be picked numerous times, however at least there is a selection.
There's already five hundred versions of MTMU up. What more could we possibly need? /s
Old 05-19-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post

Mcgimpkins,
I have asked that before and never got a reply. Good luck.
Oh come on Crow. Sure you have. Since I retired from ONS play I've put "old skool" maps onto the server at least
three or four times.

Here are most of the old school maps that are currently on the server:

Adara
Ahebban
Battlefront (if you count it, I do)
Bittersands
Coldfusion
Crossfire
Dawn
Dreamus
Roman Roads
Scorched
SilvaBeta4
Slated World
TheVine
TorlanWinter
VolcanoHigh
ZeroImpact

That collection of maps has been played 538x since last maplist reset (don't know when that was) against 3802x for
the top 16 maps. Or, 14% of the time a "classic" gets played.

Anyway, I have absolutely no problem/issue with putting more maps on the server. So if you (the collective) want a
"classic" map on the server, list them off in this thread and I'll put them on. I have access to pretty much every ONS
map that was ever remotely popular and on Omni (ya, I hoard maps).

Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #13
Binger

Gee, I've never seen this discussion in here before. Typical batch of overstatements and twisting.

The reason the older maps don't get played is because there aren't enough people that want to play them. When someone comes out and suggests the idea it will get some support and it might seem like a lot of people are for it but that's just because the discontent tend to be the most vocal. If the players were there then it would happen. The reason things changed is because it's what the majority of players wanted. I don't want to play old maps with low ammo and vehicle counts and I never will. I'm done with that and I know most of the players out there feel the same way.

The more maps you put in the list the more likely people will be to just choose the next available one. There's not enough time to really look at all of them and, imo, this makes it more likely that the same ones will get played over and over. I know that's exactly what happens to me. Why vote for a rarely played map when by the time you find it there are already 10 votes for Magic.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post

The more maps you put in the list the more likely people will be to just choose the next available one. There's not enough time to really look at all of them and, imo, this makes it more likely that the same ones will get played over and over.
QFT

That's why at HoC (240 maps) we have three "map packs". Every month, a new pack gets rotated in. Think that
would work here ??

Old 05-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #15
McGimpkins

Quote:
That's why at HoC (240 maps) we have three "map packs". Every month, a new pack gets rotated in. Think that
would work here ??
You and I talked about this before in pm, and you said lets talk about it in Team Speak, then we were never online at the same time for a couple of weeks and I got distracted with other real life BS and forgot about it. I would be fine with that, I would even be willing to help maintain a rotational schedule. I guess we could see what other in the community think.

In addition can you do a dir /b > maps.txt of your folder containing all that maps and post it up here for us? All my old maps were lost in the great hard drive crash of 2011 or 2012 I don't remember when it happened.

Quote:
I don't want to play old maps with low ammo and vehicle counts and I never will. I'm done with that and I know most of the players out there feel the same way.
I'm in partial agreement with Binger, some of the old maps are fun and some of them are really annoying. For me at least, I like Vietnamese Food, do I want to eat Vietnamese Food 3 times a day every day? Hell no I get tired of the stuff the same as, same as music, video games, or anything else, I do like some variety.

There are different maps that have disappeared that I would like to see show up on the server again because I remember them being fun to play, and they had big guns and all the other shit that Adolytsi and GlueEater loathe (Grit Nights and Battle Front Future Combat are two that come to mind). I am not opposed to having some oldschool (GlueEater approved) maps on there to vote on either.

I am well aware that various maps on the map list will be played little to none, however I do like to at least have the option to vote for them. Kind of like the Green Party.
Old 05-19-2014, 11:51 PM   #16
Binger

Quote:
QFT

would work here ??
Well, imo, no. But I am very biased towards certain maps. Also I think that the maps effect game-play a lot more in ONS than in DM, but I'm sure some would disagree with that.

During the last migration (from the Tank server) the maplist was very small at first. This was great imo for exactly the reasons in my other post. However, even though I think it did help some lesser played maps to make in the rotation more often, I don't think it worked well enough. The benefits of making it easier to sort through less popular maps and get them voted in does not out-way the benefits of more maps to play. I think you should go ahead and put any old school maps on there that you think are worthy or that people want.

Quote:
...I'm in partial agreement with Binger, some of the old maps are fun and some of them are really annoying. For me at least, I like Vietnamese Food, do I want to eat Vietnamese Food 3 times a day every day? Hell no I get tired of the stuff the same as, same as music, video games, or anything else, I do like some variety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbil View Post
...Recently i have started getting back into playing ONS...
I think this illustrates a problem very well. It's very understandable that someone who has not been a regular player in recent years would want to play the way they used to. It also very understandable that those that have been regular players in recent years would see this as a an undesirable step backwards. How do you make both sides happy enough on the same server? And of course I'm simplifying. There are those in between also.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:10 AM   #17
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
Anyway, I have absolutely no problem/issue with putting more maps on the server. So if you (the collective) want a
"classic" map on the server, list them off in this thread and I'll put them on. I have access to pretty much every ONS
map that was ever remotely popular and on Omni (ya, I hoard maps).
Primeval?
Old 05-20-2014, 02:03 AM   #18
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardspike View Post
Primeval?
And stock Torlan or the 32p version? The winter combat version currently on is not really that great.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #19
Gerbil
I'm Running In Ma Wheel

Quote:
I think this illustrates a problem very well. It's very understandable that someone who has not been a regular player in recent years would want to play the way they used to. It also very understandable that those that have been regular players in recent years would see this as a an undesirable step backwards. How do you make both sides happy enough on the same server? And of course I'm simplifying. There are those in between also.
I always have and always will play here. Ive played here since 2007 till probs 2012 so i have seen the changes, its not that i want to go back to the way i used to play, i just would like to have the option to get away from the overpowered vehicles once in a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
And stock Torlan or the 32p version? The winter combat version currently on is not really that great.
Stock torlan
Old 05-20-2014, 10:51 AM   #20
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Primeval is already on the server.

Stock Torlan will not work as it is not designed for 32players. That actually is the big knock against a lot
of the stockers: either too small for a full server, or not nearly enough seats at the cores.

Anyway, TorlanWinter is already on the server, it is optimized (or as close as possible) for our large player counts.

As per Gerbils' last comment, not only was I around for the metamorphosis of the super vehicles, I had a large
hand in their conceptual implementation, at least in the first couple of years. Then the modifications just went
"viral" and we started to have supers coming out of our ying-yangs.

But, as most in here can attest to, we've walked this road a thousand times...

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught