Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 01-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #41
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

Open up their profile and click "Add username to Your Ignore List"
Old 01-26-2008, 03:59 PM   #42
Butcher
Tonight......you

Big_Al_B This message is hidden because Big_Al_B is on your ignore list.

What rupert said is right he just beat me to it

COD4 GLITCHES + EXPLOITS
Quote:
)o(Rupert: for the most part I make them rape each other then steal their babies
Old 01-27-2008, 03:13 AM   #43
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Okay so let's see. Aside from the fact that the new sniper rifle is absolutely useless, and that epic shipped the game without even completing features that THEY'VE IMPLEMENTED TWO TIMES BEFORE, the biggest detractor from fun in UT3, is that no matter where I look, everything looks the same. Even after I turn off depth of field and motion blur, every wall is the same color, with detail where there doesn't even need to be detail. I have to strain my eyes just to be able to pick out the players from the walls in some maps. In 2k4, I could turn a corner, and immediately be able to pick out the entrance to hallways, players, etc. In ut3, I turn a corner, and I cant even tell what i am looking at until I'm either dead, or wandering around a room looking for the exit. I think the one thing they need to learn is that detail does not always equal awesome graphics. Awesome graphics does not always equal fun game. The game was interesting when it first came out when I had the notion of "they'll patch these small issues out later" until I realized just HOW MUCH wasn't done. When the maps dont really have anything making them memorable, and I have to sit there and go "oh wait what map is that one? The yellow one?" when I see a name voted, there's something missing. I dont know, it just failed to hold my interest after the first month or so.

http://www.p-fat.net/
Old 01-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #44
Gorzakk
Stinger Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus_P-Fat View Post
The game was interesting when it first came out when I had the notion of "they'll patch these small issues out later" until I realized just HOW MUCH wasn't done.
Look back at the stuff they promised and look at the discrepancy between that and what they delivered:-

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=119733

I will never, never trust another word from Epic ever again.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 AM   #45
Butcher
Tonight......you

Epic fucked up, i would love to hear an interview with cliffy or someone just to see what they have to say on the matter, they can't say things have went well, they fucked up everything big style.

COD4 GLITCHES + EXPLOITS
Quote:
)o(Rupert: for the most part I make them rape each other then steal their babies
Old 01-27-2008, 12:16 PM   #46
Necromancer
Lord of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
Epic fucked up, i would love to hear an interview with cliffy or someone just to see what they have to say on the matter, they can't say things have went well, they fucked up everything big style.
“UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 Postmortem: ULTRA KILL!” will be led by Dr. Michael Capps, president, and Jeff Morris, producer, Epic Games. This postmortem, to be held Friday, February 22, 2:30-3:00 p.m., in West Hall Room 2001/2003, will cater to all developers, regardless of experience.

and...

Mark Rein answers your questions!

Are you dissappointed by UT3 numbers on PC given that's Epic's traditional selling ground - seems Crysis and UT3 both did pretty badly when compared with the console big hitters around the same time (COD4 360 particularly).
It is amazing how people can look at two weeks of sales (in our case) in one single territory in the busiest Xmas sales season the industry has ever seen and come to the conclusion these titles are doing "badly". I don't think either title is doing so badly.
Crysis probably has 3-4x the marketing budget of UT3 and more mindshare because it is a PC-only, high-end, single-player oriented game. This isn't the fastest selling UT title ever but it's doing pretty well and we're going to support it with some pretty cool things to help it keep selling over time.

RobClarke: Does the preposterously camp art direction of Gears of War and Unreal Tournament 3 represent what Epic's designers think looks 'cool'? What are you, twelve?
I think both games look 'cool' and, no, I'm not twelve.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/ar...questions.html

Old 01-27-2008, 12:26 PM   #47
Butcher
Tonight......you

Ahaha, they fucked up...

COD4 GLITCHES + EXPLOITS
Quote:
Old 01-27-2008, 01:13 PM   #48
Tachyon
I am....a badass

THey fucked up big time.

"You guys, don't try to make it look nice, just add lots of textures and detail to confuse the players into thinking the game actually looks good. It doesn't really need to look like any of the screenshots we released. Hey! You! That texture doesn't need that high a resolution! Lower that shit!"

"Tachyon likes his women like he likes his cars: unattainable."
~MadameArsenic
"Prepare for the worst, hope for the best"
~Schlock Mercenary
Send a message via AIM to Tachyon Send a message via MSN to Tachyon Tachyon is offline  
Old 01-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #49
Para
Ayane!

One thing I think they fucked up on graphics are the character models... god they look sorta pixelated.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:42 AM   #50
TrueTrojan
Getting there...

Quote:
The game was interesting when it first came out when I had the notion of "they'll patch these small issues out later" until I realized just HOW MUCH wasn't done.
Yeah, you were pretty adamant about giving it a chance during earlier demo discussions, which is why I shut my mouth about it.

My gut reaction was negative: been here done this.
Your's was positive: there's something here that is worthwhile.

No way we we're wrong -- either one of us. Which is why, despite all the bashing and growling, I'm still holding out for a 2k3/2k4 repeat. There's "something" in UT3. Epic could put a fair-budgeted project behind bringing the good from 2k4, the good from UT3, and a smattering from the original wishlist together into UT4 and recover their losses. Give dev, some veteran and principle users, and a selection of modders 3 weeks and a closed forum. They'd produce a design and development roadmap to recoup the product line.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:53 AM   #51
N1ghtmare
Getting there...

to the "this should have been with the release discussion"

I didnt buy the game based on the bugs i saw, and the game play i saw and expereienced.

I fully expect them to get it right on like patch 5 or some shit. by then ill buy it. but I expect by then, the game is a year old, and its a $30 game not a $50 game.

so you lost the money makeing part of the sale because you didnt ship a decent product in the first place.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #52
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Also, not for nothing, but at first the whole "no LG in UT3" seemed like a "whatever why are people making a big deal about it" thing, but given the performance of the ut3 sniper rifle, it makes gametypes like TAM/Freon pretty much silly to even consider implementing, considering that the sniper's weapon change time and reload make it all but useless unless you are sitting somewhere camping. If they wanted to keep the game balanced for all gametypes, they could've left the lightning gun in, and just kept it out of the maps they thought it wasn't fair on.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:52 PM   #53
snffcnt
incurerigible

I guess I can continue to wait for the UT3 patch that includes Linux client support .

at least you guys can bitch about the game via 1st hand experience, i still only get screenshots.

fu epic.

edit: after browsing around their forums, it looks like epic employees basically auto-close any thread related to the linux client. referring to the FAQ stating they are "working on it" and it will be released when it is released without any real information at all.

so DOUBLE-fu epic. a guess an ETA is just too much trouble. I guess they don't want my money.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:26 PM   #54
Pixie
Goo Fairy

You shouldn't be such a Linux snob like Trom is.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:31 PM   #55
Rupert Quentin Pollard
Omnihax l)o(l

Because Epic are not handling the Linux port (not a patch) personally. If you really want to try the game you can always install Windows

Opti, I think you're pushing your opinion of how the game should be played. Some of us are content to not switch weapons every other shot, and if there's a real demand for the LG someone will make it. Assuming, of course, they see enough of a player base to sink time into.
Old 01-28-2008, 02:46 PM   #56
Necromancer
Lord of Death

Quote:
Also, not for nothing, but at first the whole "no LG in UT3" seemed like a "whatever why are people making a big deal about it" thing, but given the performance of the ut3 sniper rifle, it makes gametypes like TAM/Freon pretty much silly to even consider implementing, considering that the sniper's weapon change time and reload make it all but useless unless you are sitting somewhere camping. If they wanted to keep the game balanced for all gametypes, they could've left the lightning gun in, and just kept it out of the maps they thought it wasn't fair on.
I think consolidating it to 1 weapon was a good idea. The way they have it now almost combines the best aspects of the gun... but does it in such a way as to suck.

I find I cant use the sniper riffle at all becuase there is a several second delay between when I click and when it actually fires. It is like I have to stop and wait for the crosshair to catch up with what I am looking at. Actually I find that on the shock riffle too. Basically they fucked up hitscan in general.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:14 PM   #57
snffcnt
incurerigible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Quentin Pollard View Post
Because Epic are not handling the Linux port (not a patch) personally. If you really want to try the game you can always install Windows
that is what i did for the demo, i won't pander to them though for something that costs me money.

if they didn't create such a great linux native port of ut2k3 and ut2k4, there'd be less reason to hold out hope but they did...

anyway enough linux spam for one thread.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:45 PM   #58
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I think consolidating it to 1 weapon was a good idea. The way they have it now almost combines the best aspects of the gun... but does it in such a way as to suck.

I find I cant use the sniper riffle at all becuase there is a several second delay between when I click and when it actually fires. It is like I have to stop and wait for the crosshair to catch up with what I am looking at. Actually I find that on the shock riffle too. Basically they fucked up hitscan in general.
Maybe that's why it sucks. I didnt have a problem with the "one weapon" thing per say - i dont really care what it's called, but the sniper they have in there is not very 'hitscan' to use at all. Maybe it is the delay you are talking about that's giving me the bad feeling with it.

Regarding injecting how I play, i was speaking of specific gametypes that usually end up having people changing from hitscan to other weapons. Given the only two choices for hitscan in ut3, I cant really see the current way that TAM/Freon is played in 2k4 actually working out so well - or people really using those weapons at all.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #59
Big_Al_B
I Hate This Map

I find actually binding weapons makes the delay in weapon change bearable, you just have to plan in advance what you may want to use.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:07 AM   #60
Optimus_P-Fat
Insider

I've been binding weapons since 2 weeks after I started playing UT2004, so it's not the binding that's making any difference. The weapon change times are just slower in UT3, and well, it makes it so that you end up just using whatever you have till you run out of ammo because the delay is so long you'd die otherwise.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament