Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 03-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #21
Adolytsi
Vernacular Spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
I did a Grit-Nights-TMU remake with updated vehicles, but it was taken down and replaced with the non-TMU version because all the badgers kept ejecting their drivers through the sand. The non-TMU version didn't have nearly as many badgers, so it wasn't as big of an issue.
Ah, ok; that's understandable. Didn't you or someone else make new badgers that don't do that anymore? Was there a version that had those new badgers in it?
Old 03-25-2014, 01:33 AM   #22
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolytsi View Post
Ah, ok; that's understandable. Didn't you or someone else make new badgers that don't do that anymore? Was there a version that had those new badgers in it?

Yes, the non-TMU version currently on the server has the new badgers and dragon. That's what this thread was started for.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:39 AM   #23
Binger

How about we redo the link setup on this map to allow a cut-off from the underground nodes? No cut-off link setups suck. Especially on a large map like this. And maybe just remove all the broken... I mean fixed badgers.
Old 04-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #24
Mailbox
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binger View Post
How about we redo the link setup on this map to allow a cut-off from the underground nodes? No cut-off link setups suck. Especially on a large map like this. And maybe just remove all the broken... I mean fixed badgers.
I always liked Grit, and I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't get much play. I agree with your points on the strength of the 7-4-6-9 route, and the weakness of Badgers on this map.

For the nodes, here are the layouts for Grit and GritNights, for reference:

Grit-BadWolf-V3

GritNights-TMU-2013-V1

Perhaps adding connections at 3-4 and 6-10 would help matters?

As for the Badger, I don't have the finesse to redesign a vehicle yet, but I would like to put up another badger redesign, as the regular version is a bit strong. In vehicle heavy maps like GritNights, it's good as a medium speed, medium-range, moderate damage kiting vehicle, with the ability to burst down squishy vehicles if it can get up close with a grenade+tank shot combo. The MkII preserves the latter, but gimps the former. While this is fine in situations where it's the fastest vehicle in the map, like on Tanks-A-Lot, it does need to be stronger for a map like this. Also, I was never a fan of the fact that a person on foot never stands a chance against a full health badger, as the badger can become an infinite tracking Goliath that can't be played around. With that said, I'd propose the following changes from the stock vehicle.

* Keep machine gun damage the same vs. vehicles
* Reduce Health from 600 to 550-450
* Reduce the mass of the vehicle a little
* Raise the entry-exit point like what was done with the Badger MkII
* Change the tank cannon so that it can rotate fast but not instantaneously (1 sec/360?)

What does everyone think?
Old 04-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #25
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Personally the lack of a cutoff node setup never has bothered me too much on Grit-BadWolf. I thought about it a bit on why I think this way... and came up with this reason: The nodes of the two separate paths are close to each other.

If each path is being dominated by a team, you can spawn at a node closest to the other path node that is in contention and have some chance of contesting it. I've been on teams that have won the map on both routes and have played on rounds where the team was able to digout. One path give you all the heavy hitters: Dragon, Wasps, Levi... but has more nodes. The inner route has less nodes, but no really special vehicles. I've seen vehicles successfully suppress the inner path by hitting nodes 4 and 6 from the outside... and win. I've seen rounds where they neglect the inner path (or the team defends it well enough) and win. IMHO, it seemed balanced.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 04-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #26
Binger

Thanks for putting up those screen shots Mailbox. I was too lazy to do that last night.

I'll try to motivate to play around with different setups. Generally I like two primaries (not one, not three or more, just two) and one of the primaries should have only one link to it. The other primary can be linked more than once. That fits with the current setup but then it goes bad after that.

The whole badger thing is a pita. After I pointed out that Wormbo's numbers weren't correct he stopped replying. I wasn't trying to bash him. I just wanted the new Badger to not suck. It went from 150 vehicle damage to 46.8, not the 115 he says it is. This is not speculation on my part. Even with my limited understanding of code I'm confident that it's clear that the dps is 46.8 (or near that). I can change it 115 but I feel weird about messing with his work. Although, I'm a little irked at the fact that he didn't acknowledge what I said so fuck it, I guess I'll edit it if I want to. I would also like the see the air control returned. I don't give a fuck about Daredevil points. I just want to be able to land correctly so my Badger doesn't get jostled around when it hits the ground. I agree with nerfing it against infantry. Making the cannon turn slower is interesting. I'm not sure what I think about that.

Fuzzy, everything you said is why I don't like it. There are no lines of battle. No fronts. It's chaos and the map often ends too early because it's too difficult to take down your own primary when the other teams get it built.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #27
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Random thoughts:

The GritNight node setup looks like spaghetti and I never know what I'm doing on it.

Replace badger with scorpion? Perhaps nitro scorpions to make use of the big dune jumps?
Old 04-26-2018, 05:59 PM   #28
Binger

Just an idea to raise up some of those nodes.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #29
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

I like it. You're pretty much a sitting duck if you're in the lower part of the dunes

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught