Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 04-26-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Mailbox
Still Just Registered

Default Mailbox vs. McLovin MinusBadgerMeUp "1v1" - Post Match Thread

Hi everyone,

This section of the forum hasn't been too active lately, so I figured it'd be good to put up a thread about a 1v1 (with bots) I had with McLovin last night.

I spectate joined the server after midnight, when only USMC was on, playing Barracks-BigAl. By the time I connect, USMC left, but McLovin joined, and instantly voted MinusBadgerMeUp. Once the map voted, he asked me to play. Seeing as I've never done 1v1 Minus before, I was intrigued in seeing how it would play out.

Mailbox (Red) (+Gorge, ?) vs. McLovin (Blue) (+Abaddon, Zarina)
on ONS-MinusBadgerMeUp-Beta23
FINAL STATS:
Spoiler!

Match Stats (Archive)

I didn't do a demorec of the game, but here's what I remember from each round:

In Round 1, I focused on rushing a link badger to build nodes quick and gain map control. This didn't work out, as McLovin used the Megabadger to blow me up while linking a node. I tried building 8 and 3 from time to time, but he was able to blast those nodes away. His two bots were able to get 6 up, and took out my trench primary. I tried using the mega once and got a couple of nodes out of it, but I wasn't able to respond fast enough to threats around the map. At that point, building nodes proved to be too difficult, as response teams would destroy the node faster than I could ever build it. By overtime, I was trying to link 8 while Blue was getting core hits. Mailbox 0 - 1 McLovin

For round 2, I ditched linking 11/12 and focused back on building the primaries. Building 2, touching 9, and building 7 with a Hoverbadger enabled me to kill 6 before it self-constructed. McLovin still gibbed me with the Mega several times, but now the extra available nodes let me kite him around, slowly but surely chipping down the Mega's health each time he whacked my node. Once his Mega died, I could touch a node, and while McLovin responded the bots would build another. I was able to secure his trench primary that way, and from there it was hard for Blue to wrestle control back. McLovin complains that his bots don't do anything, I reply saying mine don't either (not on round 1, anyways). Mailbox 1 - 1 McLovin

Round 3 was a lot like Round 2, with Red slowly wrestling control of the map. By overtime, I was able to get some shots on the core, ending OT early. Mailbox 2 - 1 McLovin

For Round 4, McLovin started using the Ion Badger in between Mega downtimes to quickly take out nodes. On top of that, his bots really clutched certain fights, with Abaddon killing me several times in Hoverbadger vs. Hoverbadger fights. One such fight enabled McLovin to build 6 with a link badger, then take out my trench primary before I could kill him. I was eventually able to rebuild that primary and retake 6, but by that time OT had started and Blue had an insurmountable lead. Blue shoots the core through via 1/2 primary right before I could isolate that chain from their trench primary. Mailbox 2 - 2 McLovin

In Round 5, I touched the trench primary, built 1/2, then built 8/9. The bots didn't show up to 6 this time, so I was able to kill it from within the trench before McLovin showed up in his Mega. From there, both sides were able to keep 6 relatively suppressed, leaving 6/8/9 as the only available nodes. I put some extra pressure on McLovin's vehicles after I chipped his Mega away, as neither the Ion nor the Link Badger fare well against a Hoverbadger. I picked up the DD near 1/2 more often, making sure I could do more damage to the Mega and destroy unattended nodes faster. I was also able to use an Ion Badger to gain control of the ion nodes, and then take away Blue's 1/2 primary. From there, the bots had built 6 and also taken Blue's trench primary. Core was exposed from time to time, and eventually whittled down in overtime Mailbox 3 - 2 McLovin

It was a good game, and I think we both had quite a bit of fun trying to wrestle control of the map between the two of us. Mandroid spectated for a portion the game, and said something to the effect of it was "quite a good game". I think me and McLovin are of similar skill level, so that was also good. It'd be interesting to see if "Onslaught '1v1's" become more of a thing. Thanks for the game, McLovin.

Last edited by Mailbox; 04-26-2018 at 03:14 PM..
Old 04-26-2018, 05:37 PM   #2
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Haha, you beat me to the punch. I was considering commenting on this new winning strategy of using the HoverBadger on 1x1 MinusBadgerMeUp matches. Well done BTW, u kicked my ass last night, haha! Next time I do a 1x1 MinusBadgerMeUp I'm gonna try what you did.

I usually go with the all MegaBadger-or-nothing or the Link-tank-node-cutoff strategy. But it kinda depends on whether your bots are active or idle. Things change rapidly when live opponents join the match. I think the best opponents I've seen are the ones that can predict where I'm going to go, even before I do. This predictive strategy makes for very fun play, the ability to read the map goes a long way in all matches on all maps and is definitely rare in our community.

I do think there is some bug with the bots tho. I've seen them when they are aggressive and at other times they sit at a node or in the base and don't do anything but jump in and out of vehicles, LOL.

Yes, thank you for the game Mailbox, it was fun, good game!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #3
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Sounds like a good game! Yea, bot management/behavior becomes a huge part of the game. I sometimes set the bots to all support me if they seem stuck... at least it forces them to try to get close to me and away from wherever they are stuck. They are also amazing gunners... they do great at shooting down avrils and deemers (better than humans, most times).
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 05-02-2018, 03:57 PM   #4
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Nice.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 05-03-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
Enyo
Getting there...

Mailbox, that was a whole lotta 'splaining to get to the conclusion that the hover badger is the best vehicle when playing BadgerMeUp 1 vs 1. McLovin and I have had some pretty good BMU one-on-one's and I usually whoop him with my little puny hover badger verses his pinball-like MegaBadger. I will get in the ion badger when I need to take nodes down quickly and reasonably sure there's no mega to worry about.

But, sometimes we just wanna have fun so I'll get in the mega and we'll see who can do some skeet shooting on the 2nd shot with Mega vs. Mega.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
...But, sometimes we just wanna have fun so I'll get in the mega and we'll see who can do some skeet shooting on the 2nd shot with Mega vs. Mega.
Yeah, half the fun playing MegaBadger 1x1 is seeing who can smack the enemy Mega first. I usually don't go all out and play hard, mostly just having fun, why I don't normally place the 2nd kill shot if I'm goofing around.

Sometimes you can smack the enemy Mega and it will land of the roof of a building. Been smacked up on the roof and have done it to others. You have to move fast otherwise the orbitals will target ya if you stay up there too long. Would be a nice vantage point to snipe the map tho. I've been up on the lower tin roof buildings and could do this.

Sometimes when smacked up in the air, your Mega will invert and you fall out. That's a good opportunity to kill the opponent and steal their Mega from them. It's easy to steal a Mega from a bot btw, they always get out.

On rare occasions, when your Mega is hit, you'll go subterranean, Philadelphia Experiment style. Your Mega will get stuck half way below the ground plane and the Mega can't drive out.
Old 05-07-2018, 10:48 AM   #7
Terminator
Getting there...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JyMpH10j4M
Old 05-07-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Haha, that's the spirit! Love the cat and mouse hunting.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:53 PM   #9
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
"This video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account."

See what ya done did, haha!
Old 05-12-2018, 05:24 PM   #10
Sumugan
Nubbin' it since '04

I try bot command, 5, 3, 1 I think, 'search and destroy' to make the bots not go idle, btw/ftw
Send a message via AIM to Sumugan Send a message via MSN to Sumugan Send a message via Yahoo to Sumugan Send a message via Skype™ to Sumugan Sumugan is offline  
Old 05-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumugan View Post
I try bot command, 5, 3, 1 I think, 'search and destroy' to make the bots not go idle, btw/ftw
Fragster says you can voice command the bots but I've never seen it work.

If I'm stalling for a live opponent to join, I'll keyboard command the bots to cover me or defend one spot so they don't build nodes, but sometimes they do anyway. It's funny cause they will follow me around like a Pied Piper, lol. When someone joins I have to remember to command them back into search and destroy mode.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
Enyo
Getting there...

Yeah, I've never had the voice commands work at all. I really haven't had much success with the typed commands either, they just seem to wander aimlessly regardless.
Old 05-21-2018, 05:31 PM   #13
McLovin
Fogell from Superbad

Saw a new one this past weekend. Shot Ebno's mega flying straight up into the air, the 2nd shot hit behind him against the building wall and sent him into orbit even higher, maybe onto the roof, I couldn't see, haha!. Never seen that happen before because the 2nd shot usually destroys the flying mega.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught