Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament

Old 06-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #1
Enyo
Getting there...

Default Mac OSX 64 bit Patch?

Sooooo, this is unfortunate...

The upcoming release of Mac OS Catalina this fall will have some new features that would be very useful for my line of work (graphic design), particularly "Sidecar" which allows you to use an iPad Pro as a second monitor and as a graphics tablet, with Apple Pencil tilt and pressure sensitivity. I've been using a 3rd party app to do this since Apple hasn't made the capability native until the upcoming new OS. It's good the new OS will save me $80/year for the 3rd party app, BUT...

The new OS will only run 64-bit apps and I can't find a 64-bit patch for UT on the Mac anywhere. Plenty of them out there for Windows, but not Mac. No, putting UT on a Windows machine isn't an option, I don't have one powerful enough, just a couple of old, slow laptops.

So, does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get a 64-bit version of UT for Mac? Otherwise, I'm probably going to have to make a tough choice between no longer playing UT2K4 or never updating the OS again.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

number of options off the top of my head: virtual machine (could be Windows or older Mac OS), dual boot (could be Windows or older Mac OS). Also, depends on what you mean by old for a laptop... I mean it is a 2004 game... so even a 5yo pc laptop should work fine. XD
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 06-04-2019, 11:28 PM   #3
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

I've been running 10.6.8 for years because I dont want to update ProTools. My computer still thinks it's 2011. I figured this will exclusively become my recording computer someday, and I'll upgrade my "fun" computer someday and end up with two desktops (plus I wouldn't mind a new one for video editing as this one is just before HD was common). Sounds like you might be doing the inverse? iMacs of this era seem to go for relatively cheap on craigslist. I'm sure a dedicated windows desktop would be even less expensive.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:07 AM   #4
hardspike
Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers View Post
number of options off the top of my head: virtual machine (could be Windows or older Mac OS), dual boot (could be Windows or older Mac OS).
Both very good suggestions. I know you're asking for a patch and we're giving you other ideas. I would think running an older macOS in a VM would probably run just fine for a game this old assuming you've got a good Mac. You could also boot from an external drive with the older macOS installed, Thunderbolt 3 even if you want to get fancy. I've booted Macs with USB 2.0 drives and they work.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
Enyo
Getting there...

Thanks for the suggestions. I typically don't update the OS until 9 months or so after it's released to wait for bugs to get worked out and for all the software I use to catch up. I can't do what Yeeeaaahhhhhh does and never update, Adobe Creative Cloud apps get updated about every 6 months being a subscription and they don't play well with older versions of the OS. I have Adobe CC on an older iMac and they run terribly slow on it, so does UT.

The issue with the old PC laptops is not so much their age, but the specs are shit and UT would definitely not play well on them.

Virtual machine/bootcamp are options, but both have their own drawbacks too. I'll wait a while and probably decide to get a new machine in a year or two anyway and my current one can be my UT computer. That's assuming there's still any active servers left that long from now.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:04 AM   #6
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

Well I went to non patch stuff b/c I got the feeling from your post that the latest patch for mac wasn't going to work. The latest patch is supposedly 64bit. The bummer is that it has to be upgraded from a non-64bit version. So once you get it patched... back that sucker up b/c you might not get a chance to upgrade from 32 bit machine. So the quick google of the latest links didn't work? Like these: pcgamingwiki, moddb, beyondunreal, fileplanet

My patched version seems to work in MacOS 10.14 right now.
Team:

Last edited by FuzzySlippers; 06-05-2019 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: added commas
Old 06-05-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Enyo
Getting there...

3369.2 is the latest Mac patch and I have it already... it's not 64-bit though. A quick look at the applications under System Report shows v3369.2 as 32-bit, well it shows as NOT 64-bit. I found all the same links you did, those are all for 3369.2 and only the Windows version shows as 64-bit.

Old 06-05-2019, 03:40 PM   #8
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Interesting - perhaps Apple would introduce some compatibility mode or an emulator, like Microsoft did with MS-DOS and windows for a while. I had to use a DOS emulator to play Duke Nukem 3D a few years back for nostalgic pleasure. Some older Windows games (made before Windows XP) required legacy compatibility mode. I'd be surprised if there's no such thing to allow the latest OSX to run thousands of legacy applications.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #9
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

Have you tried to use the x64 win stuff? Wasn't it just the .exe file and the inis with a different name?

I'm also thinking about ubgrading (getting a new) pc. Actually I think it's a good time when it's nearly 10 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
Interesting - perhaps Apple would introduce some compatibility mode or an emulator, like Microsoft did with MS-DOS and windows for a while. I had to use a DOS emulator to play Duke Nukem 3D a few years back for nostalgic pleasure. Some older Windows games (made before Windows XP) required legacy compatibility mode. I'd be surprised if there's no such thing to allow the latest OSX to run thousands of legacy applications.
MS is for customers, Apple is for users. On the retail version from Apple you have very hard restrictions, on MS you actually can destroy the system as user, on a MAC it's much harder. So they will probably restrict the x86 apps, not that they would not run there, they just restrict it because they can. Not saying that Apple is bad, they make some very nice stuff.

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 06-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #10
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miauz55555 View Post
Have you tried to use the x64 win stuff? Wasn't it just the .exe file and the inis with a different name?

I'm also thinking about ubgrading (getting a new) pc. Actually I think it's a good time when it's nearly 10 years old.
I haven't but I don't think it would work as UT on the mac has a completely different file structure from the PC version, and .exe files won't work without using something like Bootcamp or a virtual machine app to run windows.

With doing graphics intensive work, 5-7 years is considered pretty old, especially if processing video/3D. I remember when I went from my now 12 year old iMac to my now 5 year old Macbook Pro how blown away i was at the speed difference when just editing very large photoshop files. My iMac used to take about a minute to load a UT map when a match started, the MB only takes about 5 seconds. Not saying I'm ready to replace my Macbook yet or even for the next couple years, it's still a great machine, but being able to natively have my iPad Pro work seamlessly with my Mac as a monitor/tablet would be a huge plus for me. Just sucks I'd have to trade playing UT for it, unless I go the Bootcamp/virtual PC route.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:15 PM   #11
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
Actually, the current and last few Mac OS versions have had 64-bit mode as an option with the ability to boot in 32-bit mode. Apple has been warning app developers for more than the last year that there will be absolutely zero support or ability to run 32-bit apps in Mac OS Catalina.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #12
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Most of my PC's have 2 hard drives with different versions of windows installed on each (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista, and XP in all, lol) - dual-booting is basically a matter of a key-stroke upon startup. These drives are also used as back-up for more important files like pictures and videos and stuff. When I got into the Bitcoin mining craze, I was rather paranoid with the security that I went a bit redundant with the back-ups - now I just feel like a hoarder - also with half a dozen modern laptops, a dozen tablets and phones, nearly every gaming console, that I just want to downsize and become a minimalist!

It's just that I found it quite easy to just leave most stuff alone and buy a new hard drive whenever I needed more storage or backup, and install a new version of windows on it (while also backing up some important stuff onto it), lol. Me hoarder, FTL.. Just don't catch my disease.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:04 PM   #13
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

You can use Wine as a compatibility layer. Or just dual boot into a proper OS like Windows 7.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #14
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
You can use Wine as a compatibility layer. Or just dual boot into a proper OS like Windows 7.
I had forgotten about wine... never used it, but looks like it may be a suitable option. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:37 PM   #15
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
proper OS like Windows 7.

Since you seemed to emphasize Windows7 in other threads, I'd like to ask why.. What is it that you can do with Windows7 that couldn't be done on Vista, 8, 10, etc. - that allows for better performance in the game? Thanks
Old 06-06-2019, 12:56 PM   #16
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Windows 8 and 10 are bloated and have high latency, Vista no longer has driver support.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

RANT Why 7?, bc 10 has its issues

Windows 10 only within the past year stopped restarting for updates without asking/warning. A few of years ago when I had just built my Windows 10 gaming rig I was mid-game playing with you folks when it decided to reboot on me. I was so pissed!

Oh, other bad things about Windows 10: ads in the start menu by default; data collection; oh, and anytime you use another browser besides Edge... it nags you to try Edge instead.
Team:
Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #18
Miauz55555
I'm a cute Cat.

A dual boot to Linux is also an option.

I had an colleague who used an IMac with dual boot win7 and macOS .. it worked like charm.. was just a hotkey to change between them. Smooth like silk.

---
Vista was extream RAM hungry and more like a beta for win7. Have you tried it Bofox? Win 8 and 10 have an other architecture than 7 besites the bloodware. You only need 10 when you want to use directX 12. Let's see win 8 as a Beta to win 10 like Vista to 7 .

DiscordServer; SteamGroup; WebSite
Old 06-07-2019, 02:40 PM   #19
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Yeah, Vista here on this PC with UT2004 installed on it.. legacy drivers, Core i7 920 (from 2009 but still a respectable CPU with higher IPC than AMD's CPU's up to 2017 or so - yet it's the bottleneck for frame rate on some maps with lots of activity, due to the low clock ceiling). Until recently (last couple years), I had no more issues with using Vista than with Windows 7 but now it crashes on me about once every 2 weeks or so, probably due to memory leakage or poorly optimized driver architecture along with the updated patches, aging motherboard, expanded memory or whatnot. I'm just playing around with this PC until it just dies someday, lol.

It's interesting how high-end PC's from 2009 are still amazingly viable today with just a couple upgraded hardware components like video card, added memory, and an SSD.. but a PC from 1999 would be completely outdated in 2009 simply because of the backbone itself. Crysis, a game from 2007, still looks superb by today's standards, but it was light years beyond any game made just 3-4 years earlier. I was hoping the 2010 decade would've brought the same kind of explosive progress, but the only impressive thing is probably the ultra-small and portable (smartphones being able to record 4K videos and stuff), with greater processing power than a $2000 high-end PC of 2005. Maybe the 2010's was just a base camp plateau on the way up Mt. Everest.. Perhaps stagnation is a good thing after the world has faced so much change from 1990 to 2010 with the dawn of the internet age and nearly 2 billion more people - we needed time to cope with the changes, while at the same time, nearly every one of us got a portable all-purpose PC (a smartphone) on us at all times.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:21 AM   #20
infinitecat
Thin but wiry.

You might try obtaining a Windows copy of UT4K and using Crossover to run it. It's supposed to be good with games.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament