Unreal Tournament Unreal Servers Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament
View Poll Results: Are you willing to donate to keep Omni alive ?
Ya sure, I can spare $5 or $10 a year 3 15.00%
Yes, put me down for $20 a year 12 60.00%
Hell ya, I'll donate what I can ! 4 20.00%
No. UT2K4 is dying. Lets just let it run out as is 1 5.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-2019, 04:34 AM   #41
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Learn to take a joke, Enyo... tongue in cheek, eh?

Let's make a thread with funny jokes and memes.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:25 PM   #42
provert
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
I think what Binger is implying is that cheating is rampant on OMNI, without saying so directly and without any evidence. Or maybe he's upset with the no-holds-barred ruling on general spawn killing.

Fact is, cheating is not some out of control element present on this server, and the group of players that believe it is are primarily players that quite simply never learned to play beyond their current abilities.

The decision to allow whatever level of barbarism in regards to spawn killing has made little difference in the ability of any particular team to win. Some players may not like it, but if you're willing to adapt, i.e. learn, spawn killing makes little difference in deterring a talented team from winning. I believe that more often than not, a team full of spawn killers will lose.

There's a small but dedicated group of us committed to keeping this server alive. Its really the only regularly active north American ONS server left and giving up on it is kinda weak, especially if you love this game. Disagree and offer your opinions, but don't just simply write it off.

Giving up is a permanent solution to a temporary problem.
Says the person who session kicks someone who stole their flier and quite often agrees with others on who is cheating or not.
Old 06-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #43
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by provert View Post
Says the person who session kicks someone who stole their flier and quite often agrees with others on who is cheating or not.
Funny you responded to my comment since you're EXACTLY the type of player I was talking about. You're always whining about "seeing through the fog," or "love how I shot you 3 times with a mino and you didn't die," or "fucking bullshit, blah, blah, blah." Your ping is regularly in the 80's or higher, and your skillset is at best middle of the road. Those two things are more likely the culprit of your frequent dying than cheating.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:33 PM   #44
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:
"seeing through the fog,"
Well, you DO use ultra-widescreen 3840x1440.. over at CEONSS, the FOV is locked to 100 degree, the maximum default selectable FOV from within the game menu - and 100-degree FOV isn't even enough for proper 16:9 viewing with an ordinary 24" monitor from 2 feet away. I wish I didn't have these 20-degree blinders strapped to my head thanks to my old 16:10 monitor without making things look too fish-eyed, so I could see considerably farther through the fog on the sides when zooming out and panning around.

Reasonable argument: Enyo is "cheating" with his mino, so he should always be using the mino...
***tongue in cheek***
Old 06-06-2019, 08:19 AM   #45
Enyo
Getting there...

I don't think a lot of players realize that your peripheral view in the game can "see" further than straight on. If I notice tank shells or lasers coming from somewhere off in the distance but can't see the vehicle, I'll rotate my view so the direction of the firing is in my peripheral. That will often show a faint view of the vehicle giving me the exact location, and an easy target with the mino if they're not moving. Then it's just a matter of having some decent spatial awareness to move the cursor back to the position of where you saw them and firing off, even though you can no longer actually see them. A lot of players will do you the favor of continuing to fire their lasers, like a beacon light showing you the way. I chuckle to myself every time I hear, "oh nice job seeing through the fog." I take it as a compliment.

Having a large widescreen monitor with the right game settings definitely helps too though.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #46
{glr}pooty
Mostly a target...

Quote:
I don't think a lot of players realize that your peripheral view in the game can "see" further than straight on.

This ^^ don't give away all the secrets now! This works really well on Dria when you have the mino.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:46 PM   #47
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by {glr}pooty View Post
This ^^ don't give away all the secrets now! This works really well on Dria when you have the mino.
With this you can also see around corners while staying hidden. Especially if you zoom out your camera while in a vehicle. A similar view can be had by switching to 3rd person on foot.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #48
provert
Just Registered

Notice I haven't said anyone is cheating in a loooong time. I understand most people do have unreg hits, not just me. I do know you can see further by turning off center slightly, and even around corners. Many players have mentioned you and left maps because you are completely unbeatable since becoming an admin. I'm not saying you are cheating, but am curious if being an admin with credentials to the server gives your gaming an advantage. No one is saying you were a poor player before, but the change since becoming admin is pretty evident to many players.

I say things like bullshit and such to vent my frustration at the game, not that a player is cheating. You only hear some of them. I don't always push my mic when I do. Many players have backed me when they were gunners saying they saw what I saw and it should not have happened that way. You do the exact same thing when your shots don't cause damage. If I have to start recording games you're in to prove this, I will. I already mute you half the time, which I never did with Guy, and even then your ego got to you as you used your admin abilities to over ride my mute. Tone it down or a lot more people are going to leave.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:53 PM   #49
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by provert View Post
Notice I haven't said anyone is cheating in a loooong time. I understand most people do have unreg hits, not just me. I do know you can see further by turning off center slightly, and even around corners. Many players have mentioned you and left maps because you are completely unbeatable since becoming an admin. I'm not saying you are cheating, but am curious if being an admin with credentials to the server gives your gaming an advantage. No one is saying you were a poor player before, but the change since becoming admin is pretty evident to many players.

I say things like bullshit and such to vent my frustration at the game, not that a player is cheating. You only hear some of them. I don't always push my mic when I do. Many players have backed me when they were gunners saying they saw what I saw and it should not have happened that way. You do the exact same thing when your shots don't cause damage. If I have to start recording games you're in to prove this, I will. I already mute you half the time, which I never did with Guy, and even then your ego got to you as you used your admin abilities to over ride my mute. Tone it down or a lot more people are going to leave.
Being an admin gives you absolutely no advantage as a player. If it seems like I've gotten better since becoming one, it's probably because I've been playing a lot on Carpe's DM freon server a lot the last several months, and that will drastically improve anyone's fighting abilities. Even helps with vehicle fighting even though DM is only on foot.

I've also been on the server a lot more since becoming an admin, both watching and playing, so I'm sure that has something to do with it too. Also, over the last several months it's been many of the same 30-40 players hanging around, and after a while of seeing the same players over and over you tend to learn how they play. It makes those that don't adapt very predictable.

I'm always trying to get better at anything I do, including this game. Some people just want to tool around and don't care about improving. Some people hit a natural plateau long before others do. I feel like I learn something new just about every time I play.

Provert, I know a lot of the in game comments about "BS" and things like that are mostly out of frustration, and you're right, I say those things sometimes too. And I promise i'm not ever trying to purposely override your mute, if I ever do it's because I either forgot to log out as admin or I'm giving some shitbag a "knock it off" instruction. If you hear hear me otherwise, I can't say why, except the muting function doesn't always work perfectly. I know my muting of Shadow has failed on many occasions.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #50
provert
Just Registered

Quote:
Being an admin gives you absolutely no advantage as a player. If it seems like I've gotten better since becoming one, it's probably because I've been playing a lot on Carpe's DM freon server a lot the last several months, and that will drastically improve anyone's fighting abilities. Even helps with vehicle fighting even though DM is only on foot.

I've also been on the server a lot more since becoming an admin, both watching and playing, so I'm sure that has something to do with it too. Also, over the last several months it's been many of the same 30-40 players hanging around, and after a while of seeing the same players over and over you tend to learn how they play. It makes those that don't adapt very predictable.

I'm always trying to get better at anything I do, including this game. Some people just want to tool around and don't care about improving. Some people hit a natural plateau long before others do. I feel like I learn something new just about every time I play.

Provert, I know a lot of the in game comments about "BS" and things like that are mostly out of frustration, and you're right, I say those things sometimes too. And I promise i'm not ever trying to purposely override your mute, if I ever do it's because I either forgot to log out as admin or I'm giving some shitbag a "knock it off" instruction. If you hear hear me otherwise, I can't say why, except the muting function doesn't always work perfectly. I know my muting of Shadow has failed on many occasions.
See, things can be discussed and worked out ;-)
Old 06-07-2019, 10:32 PM   #51
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Shit, this server seems to have really died without you, Enyo!!!

Come back, and keep this server alive!
Old 06-07-2019, 11:13 PM   #52
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Quote:

That's awesome - I really respect how much you have improved your skill! One of my greatest annoyances after I came back to the game from a summer-long vacation last year was that you've improved so much but YET, you basically always tried to evade me where-ever I was on the map. If I were at such and such node, you'd just go to the other node. I didn't get to fight you enough unlike with Anonymous or California or Dimshade. You've gotten as good as Dimshade at least, but it was so rare that I got to fight with these players that I was just aching for some more, since they didn't play on this server much.

All of you guys, I think it's the law of association that gets where we are at. 99.8% of us do not get that good without associating with simulating factors - especially others who are either very nearly equally as good as us or better than us - if we don't spend hours each day growing with these simulating factors. Performance of the PC system (especially mouse and display input/output lag) and ping are also critical factors in this as well - if we do not feel like we have a chance, then we just give up with honing our skills to one-up the guy that was doing better that day.

Here's a video of a guy who nearly never fails to make a shock rifle combo no matter how far the shock ball is, while moving anywhere at maximum speed, even while doing wall dodge-jumps. Yet, it becomes evident how easy it is compared to the "hit-or-miss" unpredictability of the target moving to the left or to the right nearly all the time at the instant you spot the target.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x53WoOKgF-g

If that doesn't impress you guys, then look at the absolute insanity of Xie Xingfang's precision with playing badminton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Jv8Q--7VA
Old 06-09-2019, 11:47 AM   #53
Enyo
Getting there...

Bofox, that UT video you shared clearly shows the guy using a wall hack. I don't think I can have any respect for anything else he does knowing he's cheating with at least one hack. Likely that he's using others too.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:34 PM   #54
duh
www.gotse.cx

Enyo, I think that's a demo-rec playback...that's why you see the other player... I could be wrong tho.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:38 PM   #55
California`
Hitscan Hero.

It's not a wall hack. It's so the people viewing at home (people actually watch competitive 1on1) can see the moves the other person is making since you can only see the fov of one person a time. The guy in spec recording the demo adds it in. Also reflex is a god and KmKz is a trigger bot brony. Should of posted a skaven or aco video instead Bo.

Last edited by California`; 06-09-2019 at 02:53 PM..
Old 06-09-2019, 10:02 PM   #56
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Been watching a few.. seems like GoHLinK is better than skAven who won the $3000 prize from the 2010 cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5e5Qb7XU78

I loved flakking Anonymous like that in the open!

I think GoHLinK did some tournaments with Fatal1ty back in the Q3 days.. whatever happened to Fatal1ty? Was he any good in UT04?

- Sorry about not playing now, wife wants to watch a movie together. I'm wife-whipped! LOL
Old 06-09-2019, 11:48 PM   #57
Enyo
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by duh View Post
Enyo, I think that's a demo-rec playback...that's why you see the other player... I could be wrong tho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by California` View Post
It's not a wall hack. It's so the people viewing at home (people actually watch competitive 1on1) can see the moves the other person is making since you can only see the fov of one person a time. The guy in spec recording the demo adds it in. Also reflex is a god and KmKz is a trigger bot brony. Should of posted a skaven or aco video instead Bo.
Oh, ok... didn't realize that. I don't typically watch other people play video games, not a phenomenon I understand, so forgive my ignorance on the showing people thru walls playback.
Old 06-10-2019, 01:37 AM   #58
BoFox
THY FLESH CONSUMED

Never mind - GoHLinK was just lucky against skAven when comparing to other videos, apparently..

2019 is the 20th anniversary of the original Unreal Tournament and Quake 3! 20 freaking years!!! This is making me throw up - about how many years have passed since.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:24 PM   #59
Rando
Just Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoFox View Post
Been watching a few.. seems like GoHLinK is better than skAven who won the $3000 prize from the 2010 cup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5e5Qb7XU78

I loved flakking Anonymous like that in the open!

I think GoHLinK did some tournaments with Fatal1ty back in the Q3 days.. whatever happened to Fatal1ty? Was he any good in UT04?

- Sorry about not playing now, wife wants to watch a movie together. I'm wife-whipped! LOL
Fatal1ty was never a big player in UT2k4. My understanding is he was ok but far from a pro player.
Old 06-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #60
analog
Community Veteran

Well, this is the 1st thread I've started to read since coming back.

To be honest, at this point in time the donations don't mean nearly as much as any accusations of cheating! I don't care in the least about any talk of donations when compared to cheating, what exactly is happening and what proof is there? There are many who have been accused incorrectly but that doesn't mean there isn't anyone new that isn't exploiting!

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament