Mappers' Corner Mappers and Modders

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner

Old 09-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #1
Wormbo
Wormlike

Default [Super Weapon] Storm Caster

This is a super weapon I'm currently working on. It's inspired by the weather control device in Red Alert 2 that allowed you to create a thunderstorm. In UT2004 the storm is created by ionizing the air above the target area using a controlled ion cannon blast from orbit.

Video Link

The ion blast itself doesn't do much damage, that's the thunderstorm's job.
The final version will damage flying vehicles near the clouds and anything that is below.

[edit]
Download version 1
Download version 2

Last edited by Wormbo; 07-23-2014 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: added download for version 2
Old 09-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #2
Turbo K
Community Veteran

That's really neat. Will the lightning bolts target enemies or are they just for looks?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #3
Wormbo
Wormlike

The small ones inside the clouds are just for looks, but the large ones do quite some damage. I'm still trying to figure out the best mode of operation, but I've narrowed it down to a combination of random and targeted lightning bolts. Basically if there are more potential targets below and around the clouds, then less of the bolts are purely random. Since direct hits can do 400 to 600 damage points, a thunderstorm above a base or node can have devastating effects. One thing I should probably still change is how flyers are handled when getting too close to the clouds. Then again, a single lightning bolt definitely takes out a Raptor and it also takes out a Cicada with a chance of 50%.
Lightning bolts do not distinguish between friends and foes, and they will hit players, vehicles and objectives alike. Only friendly fire scale prevents the thunderstorm from wrecking havoc upon the wrong base. Feel free to use it as ultimate base defense if friendly fire is off, just make sure you're not anywhere nearby.

BTW: The entire beam of the ion blast applies damage as the brighter shock wave travels downwards. It even passes through level geometry, so you aren't even save in a cavern below the target area. I created that behavior several years ago when toying with ideas to make the Ion Cannon look more like in C&C. The variation used here to trigger the thunderstorm only does up to 200 damage points, though.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
Wormbo
Wormlike

Another video. Here the thunderstorm is created above an enemy base to show the damage it can do. The clouds cast a shadow now as well.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #5
Wormbo
Wormlike

And there's a download link in the first post now.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:28 AM   #6
Wormbo
Wormlike

I've updated the download with a network-compatible new version. Changes since the first version include a minimum allowed distance between two thunderstorms and lightning impact effects. Also the first version was missing the weapon class for lightning damage, so it wouldn't show up correctly in the stats.

Also, in case you didn't try it yet:
This weapon is not only directed at mappers, but also includes a mutator that replaces the Ion Painter and optionally the Target Painter, Redeemer or even all Super Weapons on the map. Replacement mode is configurable. Note that the Storm Caster shares its ammo with the Ion Painter and Target Painter, so there's no point carrying more than one of these weapons at the same time.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
Note that the Storm Caster shares its ammo with the Ion Painter and Target Painter, so there's no point carrying more than one of these weapons at the same time.
What exactly do you mean by that? Can you not carry an ion painter at the same time?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
Wormbo
Wormlike

[edit]
Scratch that, this "no ammo instances" stuff confuses me every time. The three painters share the same ammo type, but since UT2004 weapons no longer have explicit ammo instances, each weapon has its own ammo amount counter. If this was UT2003, all three weapons would use a single ammo inventory instance with a maximum ammo of 1. Firing one of them would use up the ammo and you could no longer fire any of the others unless you pick up one of the three painter weapons again.

The only problem with the two built-in painters is that they have the same GroupOffset in the super weapon slot. Due to UT2004's strange weapon selection algorithm you might run into problems if Ion Painter and Target Painter are in the inventory and have ammo. The Storm Caster has a unique group offset, so no selection problems there.

Last edited by Wormbo; 09-12-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Old 09-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #9
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Alright, I've added the Stormcaster to a map edit I'm working on.

You have nice readmes with your files btw, I like the fact that you include a line of code to copy
and use for embedding in a map.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
Wormbo
Wormlike

So, first "feedback" is in. Not quite what I expected, but obviously people will always find a way to ignore teamplay-related common sense. The question is: Could anything be done about it? I guess not from the Storm Caster's side. Maybe updated scoring rules (killing enemies far away from the action -> no score or even negative score) or automated "llama detection". That would obviously be material for a different mod.
Old 09-30-2013, 05:32 AM   #11
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

Default Redeemer superweapon

Speaking of super weapons, has anyone seen the redeemer that is used on IGSCLAN servers? The sound effects and the video are spectacular. When a redeemer is fired, you will want to watch! Is there a way to get that on this server? If so, the redeemer filled maps will be easier to tolerate.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormbo View Post
So, first "feedback" is in. Not quite what I expected, but obviously people will always find a way to ignore teamplay-related common sense. The question is: Could anything be done about it? I guess not from the Storm Caster's side. Maybe updated scoring rules (killing enemies far away from the action -> no score or even negative score) or automated "llama detection". That would obviously be material for a different mod.
Hopefully this will be limited to that one player only. She plays much more dirty than anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
Speaking of super weapons, has anyone seen the redeemer that is used on IGSCLAN servers? The sound effects and the video are spectacular. When a redeemer is fired, you will want to watch! Is there a way to get that on this server? If so, the redeemer filled maps will be easier to tolerate.
I don't remember what their Deemer is like but I think they use a .u file (or several) to modify all those weapons in a group. You probably can't find a file just for the modified Redeemer.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:26 PM   #13
Wormbo
Wormlike

That Redeemer mod - could it possibly be called "EliteMachines X"? That's one of the packages required for joining one of the IGS servers and it contains a Redeemer modification. (I didn't care to test it, just looking through the files.)
Old 09-30-2013, 11:56 PM   #14
Turbo K
Community Veteran

EliteMachines_X doesn't include that redeemer. It only has a small redeemer that fires multiple shots and a weapon called the "Redeem Machine" which is a golden
colered, target-painter shaped weapon, that fires instant hit redeemer or ion-painter shots and holds three ammo.

I know of a standalone redeemer mutator that fits Mr. Crow's description, but it's pretty insane. I don't think anyone would like it - the blast radius is insane and it leaves a giant mushroom cloud when it detonates. It also has radiation poisoning which lingers the rest of the match.
Old 10-01-2013, 01:55 AM   #15
Binger

It could be this file, "IGSClanFTWeapons.u". There are also "IGS_Onslaught.u" and "IGSClanSniperXtreme.u" files.
Old 10-01-2013, 05:23 AM   #16
Mr.Crow
Server Sponsor

"I know of a standalone redeemer mutator that fits Mr. Crow's description, but it's pretty insane. I don't think anyone would like it - the blast radius is insane and it leaves a giant mushroom cloud when it detonates. It also has radiation poisoning which lingers the rest of the match."

That's the one!Yes yes! I don't know about the blast radius or the poisoning, I was talking about the sounds and the visual effects. It is worth playing to see that.
Old 10-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Crow View Post
"I know of a standalone redeemer mutator that fits Mr. Crow's description, but it's pretty insane. I don't think anyone would like it - the blast radius is insane and it leaves a giant mushroom cloud when it detonates. It also has radiation poisoning which lingers the rest of the match."

That's the one!Yes yes! I don't know about the blast radius or the poisoning, I was talking about the sounds and the visual effects. It is worth playing to see that.

It's pretty epic. The only bad thing about it was that it instantly crashed the game whenever alt-fire was pressed.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #18
VadersFisting
Getting there...

Sounds like a modified version of the nuclear strike painter. Radiation poisoning? dayum!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
FuzzySlippers
NOT RDY

I think there was a modified painter for an update to Battlefield map. It was an airstrike that dropped only one bomb (?) that had a huge boom and the radiation thing.
: I don't know what happened... I went to jack it and it blew up in my face.
Team:
Old 10-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzySlippers View Post
that had a huge boom and the radiation thing.
please refrain from using super complicated technical terminology in here. Thank you.

oh, almost forgot,

[/end sarcasm]

stoopid fuzzy...

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Mappers' Corner