Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2016, 11:32 PM   #1
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 354
Default Can we add a few new maps to the server?
Reply With Quote


Like 10 or so.

We seem to cycle the same 10-15 maps. There are a few good, yet underplayed maps on there too. And then a few throwaways that never get touched.
Rinse and repeat...

There have been a lot of complaints on repeat maps lately... the good maps on here are awesome, and the upgrades are great too but some new scenery might help keep things fresh.

YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 12:13 AM   #2
Turbo K
Community Veteran

 
Turbo K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,536
Default
Reply With Quote


We could use a few more maps, but there are already a lot of great maps that don't get voted in. Increasing the cooldown from 12 to 16, and then removing the MTMU copies and Tanks-a-Lot-PPC would probably work.

This summer when I have more time, I'm planning on doing quick updates to maps like ONS-ScorpionCanyon and ONS-Ascendancy, so that they can go through the wrecking process and be added to the server.


Pruning the throwaways wouldn't hurt either. There are a couple of maps that always empty the server.
Turbo K is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #3
dimshade
Getting there...

 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 579
Default
Reply With Quote


Remove one of the TanksALot maps? Blasphemy.

My vote would be to remove the Battlefronts (both) and all but one of the Fast and Furious maps. I'm not able to see the map list at the moment but those are the ones that stand out in my mind.
__________________
"Conan! What is best in life?" ... "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
dimshade is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 03:24 PM   #4
Pi
3.14159265358979323846,,

 
Pi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 3,504
Default
Reply With Quote


There are definitely 2 distinct topics here
1) map cooldown counter
2) maps on server

we've talked about both of these before but not any time recently. We're open to taking action on either of those topics but specific suggestions are needed (and more than just one person saying 'WARMACHINESSSS', actually, warmachines is pretty effing cool, but whatevs, this is onslaught). higher or lower for #1, which maps for #2. Again, not saying we'll just do the first thing anyone shouts out, but we'd need specifics to be able to do anything
__________________

...and there's the rest who are just jumping around like a bunch of half-drunk monkeys spamming and camping their little hearts out. ~Coyote

Pi is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 03:48 PM   #5
Turbo K
Community Veteran

 
Turbo K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,536
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
There are definitely 2 distinct topics here
1) map cooldown counter
2) maps on server

we've talked about both of these before but not any time recently. We're open to taking action on either of those topics but specific suggestions are needed (and more than just one person saying 'WARMACHINESSSS', actually, warmachines is pretty effing cool, but whatevs, this is onslaught). higher or lower for #1, which maps for #2. Again, not saying we'll just do the first thing anyone shouts out, but we'd need specifics to be able to do anything
I was thinking that after enough discussion in this thread, a poll or two could be created to get hard numbers on who wants what. (and yes, WarMachines is a cool map)
Turbo K is offline  
Old 05-25-2016, 07:09 PM   #6
Judas
Just Registered
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 47
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
We could use a few more maps, but there are already a lot of great maps that don't get voted in. Increasing the cooldown from 12 to 16, and then removing the MTMU copies and Tanks-a-Lot-PPC would probably work.
I second this. I feel like I spend too much time playing the same maps again and again.

I get that a lot of people are more comfortable with familiar maps, but the lack of variety can get stale and spook away the regulars who choose to play sober.
Judas is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 01:06 AM   #7
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 354
Default
Reply With Quote


Suggestions? Here are mine:

-Borrow various DW maps
-ons-captaingordon's house of ..
-ons-Spiffingrad with omni vehicles
-ons-Toraln normal, we all cut our teeth on it, why not at least have it as an option for nostalgia's sake
-use that vehicle rollout map as a crash map?
-I used to have this map which was basically a large suspension bridge connecting both bases... brown/orange hue post-apocalyptic thing.. busted up, things on fire... was called roadrage or something like that. Anybody know which map i'm talking about?
-bitchslap with slap (or caverns i don't remember which one)

I don't know really though... you guys have probably seen way more maps than I have
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
hardspike
Server Admin


 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Matrix
Posts: 1,170
Default
Reply With Quote


I'd love to see the 32 player tweak of Primeval. Not a modified Primeval, but basically the stock map that has been optimized. Used to play it on another server. A lot of fun.
hardspike is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 10:28 AM   #9
Terminator
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 795
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Suggestions? Here are mine:

-Borrow various DW maps
-ons-captaingordon's house of ..
-ons-Spiffingrad with omni vehicles
-ons-Toraln normal, we all cut our teeth on it, why not at least have it as an option for nostalgia's sake
-use that vehicle rollout map as a crash map?
-I used to have this map which was basically a large suspension bridge connecting both bases... brown/orange hue post-apocalyptic thing.. busted up, things on fire... was called roadrage or something like that. Anybody know which map i'm talking about?
-bitchslap with slap (or caverns i don't remember which one)

I don't know really though... you guys have probably seen way more maps than I have
Captain Gordon's Box of Pwnage is an awesome map! I've kicked Pi's bootie so many times on that map cause I'm LEET and got mad skillz! HOWEVER, I believe that map was created specifically for DW so the chances of it being on OMNI are slim to none. The same with Triple Slap.

Warmachines please!
Terminator is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 11:01 AM   #10
Enyo
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 321
Default
Reply With Quote


There's a bunch of really good maps already on the server that rarely get played, for reasons already stated. Increasing the cooldown counter significantly would force voting for different maps. I don't think going from 12 to 16 is even enough. Maybe 20, dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Suggestions? Here are mine:
-ons-Toraln normal, we all cut our teeth on it, why not at least have it as an option for nostalgia's sake
I've always wondered why Torlan wasn't on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator View Post
Captain Gordon's Box of Pwnage is an awesome map! I've kicked Pi's bootie so many times on that map cause I'm LEET and got mad skillz! HOWEVER, I believe that map was created specifically for DW so the chances of it being on OMNI are slim to none. The same with Triple Slap.

Warmachines please!
There's a modified version of Captain Gordon's on CEONSS, why can't OMNI get it? BitchSlap is on there too, as well as on other servers.

I agree some cool maps that are out there would be nice additions to the existing list, but without increasing the cooldown, they'll hardly ever get voted. Another great ONS map is Suspension Bridge, I've played it on RMD and a couple other servers. Both sides of the map are connected by a giant bridge. Dimshade and Termi would love this map, a sniper's paradise. It's ripe for a Tiamat too!
Enyo is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 AM   #11
Turbo K
Community Veteran

 
Turbo K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,536
Default
Reply With Quote


ONS-Suspense is an awesome map. I'll look into getting permission for that map and Captain Gordon's Box.

About Torlan: I agree that a return to something close to the original would be nice. The Winter Combat version of the map that is currently on the server just isn't as fun as other versions for some reason. I'll try and find a 32p version of the original.

Omni used to have a version of Spiffingrad, but it was very laggy. It wouldn't hurt to put it back on the server.


Cooldown: It used to be over 20. Moving it back that high would be a good idea. There's enough copies of popular maps that players could still get their Junkyard or Tanks-a-Lot fix throughout the rotation.
Turbo K is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #12
Terminator
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 795
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
There's a bunch of really good maps already on the server that rarely get played, for reasons already stated. Increasing the cooldown counter significantly would force voting for different maps. I don't think going from 12 to 16 is even enough. Maybe 20, dunno.



I've always wondered why Torlan wasn't on here.



There's a modified version of Captain Gordon's on CEONSS, why can't OMNI get it? BitchSlap is on there too, as well as on other servers.

I agree some cool maps that are out there would be nice additions to the existing list, but without increasing the cooldown, they'll hardly ever get voted. Another great ONS map is Suspension Bridge, I've played it on RMD and a couple other servers. Both sides of the map are connected by a giant bridge. Dimshade and Termi would love this map, a sniper's paradise. It's ripe for a Tiamat too!
I didn't know CEONSS had a version of Captain Gordons. Bitchslap is already on the server; TripleSlap is not and I believe DW-Wail was involved in that map.

-As mentioned, map cool down needs to be moved from its current to maybe 14-16. -
-As others have stated, pick one Fast/Furious and delete the others
-Suspension Bridge... Never heard of it but if its Tiamat friendly, that means Flounder will love it and so will I!

Edit: Yes I remember Suspense. Its on DW, ONS-Suspense2k4. I remember having some great duels in those towers. This one time, I jumped from the top of the tower and landed in the river below, took no damage from falling either. Please place that map on the server and slightly modify it with better ground vehicles. Not too powerful flyers though, Flare Raptor would be nice.

Last edited by Terminator; 05-26-2016 at 01:02 PM.. Reason: I remember Suspense.
Terminator is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #13
Terminator
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 795
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Cooldown: It used to be over 20. Moving it back that high would be a good idea. There's enough copies of popular maps that players could still get their Junkyard or Tanks-a-Lot fix throughout the rotation.
Yeah... I miss playing Pyroclastic, Severance, Syrma, AllFallDown, BitterSands, PaintedDesert and D-sword.

DW has a map called ONS-Sunrise, I think that would be a cool map.

Ascendancy is also a fun map. What changes do you have in mind?
Terminator is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
D_B_X
For Victory - 1 & 2 Dria!
 
D_B_X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: FL
Posts: 273
Default
Reply With Quote


Yes, the CEONSS version of CG's Box of Pwnage is called CG's Island of Pwnage. I believe it was recently added there. The only change to it was a graphics package reminiscent of the new tropical AlienHop on this server. The original Box was one of my most favorite maps on DW, alongside ScorpionCanyon already mentioned. Triple Slap was also awesome, it's far better than the original Slap and we had good matches there on DW (that and the Caverns variant of Slap they had)

As far as a cooldown, we originally had 17 maps before it was changed right? Right now it's at 12 or 13, I think a slight bump of 3-5 to that would mean more diversity.
__________________
D_B_X is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 04:36 PM   #15
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 354
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
-I used to have this map which was basically a large suspension bridge connecting both bases... brown/orange hue post-apocalyptic thing.. busted up, things on fire... was called roadrage or something like that. Anybody know which map i'm talking about?
Gotta bump this map... it was so cool. Does anyone have any idea on this one's name?


Also Re: Torlan. I think it has to be the original. Even if we have a full server. All the old unwritten rules for starting:

Phase 1
Manta clown car to primary, drop off riders and driver goes on to tank node.
Raptor goes to get nuke
Bender clown car goes to 3 to duke it out with other team's bender crew
Phase 2
Scorpion from 4 climbs hill to link at top or hit 3 from bridge/rock hiding area
Tank gets in position to hit 3

Game on
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 05:23 PM   #16
Schadenfreude
Getting there...
 
Schadenfreude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 875
Default
Reply With Quote


Re: " ...this map which was basically a large suspension bridge connecting both bases... brown/orange hue post-apocalyptic thing.. busted up, things on fire..." Are you thinking of Pyroclastic? Great map. Already on the server I think.

The best battles I've ever experienced in ONS were on Torlan demo servers. Make Torlan (stock vehicles) the crash map. OMG I'm getting butterflies.
Schadenfreude is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 08:43 PM   #17
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 354
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post
Re: " ...this map which was basically a large suspension bridge connecting both bases... brown/orange hue post-apocalyptic thing.. busted up, things on fire..." Are you thinking of Pyroclastic? Great map. Already on the server I think.
Not Pyroclastic sorry. Dang now this is killing me... I wish I could remember. It was on my old hard drive but I lost it a couple months ago...
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 08:48 PM   #18
Turbo K
Community Veteran

 
Turbo K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,536
Default
Reply With Quote


Quote:
Originally Posted by YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH View Post
Not Pyroclastic sorry. Dang now this is killing me... I wish I could remember. It was on my old hard drive but I lost it a couple months ago...
It wasn't ONS-Suspense? With all the EONS vehicles?
Turbo K is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 09:24 PM   #19
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 354
Default
Reply With Quote


FOUND IT

ONS-RoadRage

Maybe a couple of vehicle mods and I think it'd be fun. I have the .ut2 file if someone wants me to send it to them.

There are a couple other cool maps in this pack, I'll comb through and post them.


YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Old 05-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #20
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH
Getting there...
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 354
Default
Reply With Quote


More found... could all be fun. Some may need a couple vehicle swap outs:

ONS-UCMP-ABC
With the right vehicles this could be okay


VCTF-NoParking
Same... maybe some new vehicles. Slightly a DM map


VCTF-Car Park Road Rage ][
This one is easy to get lost in, but i like how it's one of the few urban maps where you can actually go indoors



VCTF-Pipleline-Redux


VCTF-Biodome
Has a definite upper and lower level


CTF-Tron_20
Similar to whatever that little DM map is we have


ONS-TankWars
Could be a cool "Randomizer" tank map


ONS-ChainIsleFinal
Mini AlienHop. The shallow water does not instantly kill vehicles. The deep water slowly does damage


VCTF-WGS-CircuitCity
YEAAAHHHHHHHHHH is offline  
Reply


Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decrease MTMU maps to 1 on main server - Advertise the Fulltime MTMU server instead IPreferQuake3 Onslaught 37 12-29-2009 06:02 PM
Maps just added to the DM Server Stormblade Other Games 5 05-21-2007 07:32 PM
DM Server - Maps to possibly ADD Stormblade Other Games 30 04-07-2006 05:53 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.