Onslaught Onslaught Server Discussion

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught

Old 02-11-2015, 01:30 AM   #1
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Default Dria-Gorz-Stones

I'm curious as to why people don't like this map very much. The old Dria-Gorz was much, much more popular than this version, and Dria-TMU gets voted in a lot more than the non-TMU version despite being very slow, repetitive, and a less-than-usual chance of the losing team making a comeback.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #2
dimshade
Getting there...

Not sure. I've always enjoyed Gorz-Stones a lot. Not enough camping/splash damage vehicles maybe, or perhaps that players need to be actively attacking to be successful. I'm not a big fan of the mino on a map with mostly stock(ish) vehicles, but it tends to die quickly if a team swarms it.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:15 AM   #3
McGimpkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
I'm not a big fan of the mino on a map with mostly stock(ish) vehicles, but it tends to die quickly if a team swarms it.
I don't like this map because it is a bunch of stock vehicles vs. a mino. Everytime I play it, I feel like it is wave after wave stock vehicles all getting chewed up by a mino until it is dead, then there is a minute or two respite where I actually fight for nodes and now the mino is back again to send wave after wave against.

Personally I think the mino could go from this map, however I'm sure a lot of people would diagree. It is not that big of a deal for me as I usually quit or spectate when people vote this map in.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #4
Terminator
Getting there...

I'm with McGimpkins and Dimshade (even though I h8 Dimshade). Its stock vehicles vs. a minotaur and that is no fun unless you are in the minotaur.
Old 02-11-2015, 04:14 PM   #5
Binger

The map just seems too fast to me. Not sure why. Smaller maps with similar vehicles don't seem that way but this one does. It's spawn, get to the middle nodes, get out of your vehicle, die, repeat. Speed wins this map more than strategy.

The Mino is definitely unbalanced against the other vehicles but it usually dies fast so that doesn't bother me as much as it might some others. I would like to see it removed but I think the whole vehicle set-up is off, not just the Mino. I don't have a better idea though except to look to the original Dria, which I would rather play than this one. Maybe a slightly updated original would do what this version was intended to do.

I also don't like the stones around the middle nodes. It's awkward and makes it difficult to defend that area. Using ground vehicles inside the stones is frustrating. I also think they are ugly and don't fit in with the theme of the map. I know that's a little thing but the look of a map effects my enjoyment of it.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:28 PM   #6
D_B_X
For Victory - 1 & 2 Dria!

I'm a big fan of Dria in all its forms as well as the current TMU (remember Scorp Me Up and the Springtime version?)

The Mino is easily beatable on DGS, the Tarantula and Stinger can ram it while the Mantas and Raptors can distract the gunners. Hardly any "stock" vehicles to speak of there either, nearly every regular vehicle is souped up except for the fliers.

I wish it was played more and not so hated, but even though I gave some suggestions to DGS during the redesign, I'd rather see the old DG version back. The stones are hard to get around. Maybe the old version with the castle nodes and the newer DGS vehicles like the Hyena and the Fire Hound? I remember many good epic 5 point matches even on the older version.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:39 PM   #7
Beth

I've ALWAYS liked this map!!

Old 02-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #8
McGimpkins

Maybe I should rephrase my initial comment. The scorpions are not “stock” per se. They took a stock scorpion and put an afterburner on it and left the handling stock, so that when I try to drive it I just sort of aim in the direction I want to go and then pinball off of things and vainly attempt to steer. I’ve actually been playing this map before thinking to myself I would rather have a stock scorpion.

In my opinion the badger is a great example of a vehicle with speed and decent handling (not that I want badgers in this map). If we could make the scorpions handle half as well as the badger, I would probably enjoy them a lot more.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:33 PM   #9
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Were there different versions of the old Dria-Gorz? I'd like to take a look at one and see how close it is to the stones version.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
Binger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo K View Post
Were there different versions of the old Dria-Gorz? I'd like to take a look at one and see how close it is to the stones version.
Besides the cuddlytest test and the one on the server the only other one I have by him is ONS-Dria-Gorz, which I think is the one that was on the server before Stones. I don't remember him doing any other versions.

Edit: I have two versions of Stones. I didn't look to see what the difference was.

Last edited by Binger; 02-14-2015 at 11:35 PM..
Old 02-14-2015, 09:38 PM   #11
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

The Hyena was introduced which was a buggy vehicle and generally useless when it came to doing damage. The Fire Hellhound which replaced the King Hellhound is nice, but it should go to one of the nodes instead.

This also goes for the new Scorched, the original version with the older fire tank was a lot better.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:21 PM   #12
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Would people be interested in seeing a version of Dria very similar to the old Dria-Gorz replace the stones version?

I've been looking at old versions of the map, and can probably find or edit something that would be more popular than Dria-Gorz-Stones.
Old 04-13-2015, 04:07 PM   #13
Binger

Quote:
Would people be interested in seeing a version of Dria very similar to the old Dria-Gorz replace the stones version?

I've been looking at old versions of the map, and can probably find or edit something that would be more popular than Dria-Gorz-Stones.
Yes.
Old 04-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #14
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

I like the wheeled vehicles. They add variety to the game.
Old 04-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #15
Turbo K
Community Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous[Lolz] View Post
I like the wheeled vehicles. They add variety to the game.

Care to elaborate?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #16
Carpe Diem
seize this !! .l..

Quote:
ONS-Dria-Gorz-2011

ONS-Dria-ScorpMeUp

ONS-Dria-Spring-TMU

ONS-Dria-TankMeUp

If you're interested in any of them TK, let me know and I'll dropbox them for you.

CD

Old 04-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #17
Binger

Fyi, I lost all the work I was doing to make a symmetrical version of Dria and I don't think I will start over anytime soon.

One thing I did on it was make islands for the middle nodes and then I built forts on them. The forts had roofs so that the nodes couldn't be spammed from a distance. I think this is something to consider. It was very easy to do the walls using parts of the walls from the center of the map. The roof was a little harder but that's the important part.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:33 PM   #18
The Sarge
Getting there...

Quote:

I liked the dria spring map.. but to many cry babies i guess caused it to get 86'd
Old 04-23-2015, 04:38 PM   #19
The Sarge
Getting there...

Quote:

the map as it is, has a weak side. Any way to give blue an advantage, to even it up? as red starts out with the strong side. if there are balanced teams it almost always plays out the same way.. red wins first, then blue, then red and so on until 4.3 rounds and crash!
On Dria stones: agree with what doucheshade said stock vehicles vs. the mino. Throw in some more omni vehicles
Old 04-27-2015, 10:09 PM   #20
Anonymous[Lolz]
Getting there...

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
I may sound like an old geezer, but I enjoy the speed/power of the Stingers. They're fun to drive once you figure them out, and overall feel rewarding to use. I'm not here to bitch against everything you do, but I do thoroughly enjoy playing a faster-paced non-tank map every once in a while.

Go Back   Omnip)o(tentS Forums > SERVERS > Unreal Tournament > Onslaught