View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 12:06 AM   #23
analog
Community Veteran

8.1 had if you wanted it, not a whole lot of difference between 8.1 and 10 (except in in the pockets of the MS bigwigs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimshade View Post
Running 10 from a fresh install on my laptop. I can't comment on personal files and settings obviously. I always have them backed up since I try out a new OS every month or so (Linux distros mainly). I figure if I'm going to be troubleshooting 10 in a year or two, might as well get a head start on learning it.

So far, performance seems good. I don't see a significant change one way or the other. I despise all the (non)privacy features though ... spend almost an hour turning everything off and customizing behavior and appearance. Battery life is not as good as Win 7. However, I love being able to right click the start icon and have pretty much every option an admin would need. Don't remember if 8 had this (it's been a long time since I've used it). All in all, it performs well and I'll keep it for the time being. I will probably install UT on it this weekend just to see if it runs properly.

P.S. If you want to do a fresh install, upgrade your existing Win 7/8 installation, make sure the 10 upgrade is activated, then download the ISO and wipe/install. The fresh installation will activate automatically. Just hit skip (or "not now" or whatever it is) on the license key screen.