Omnip)o(tentS Forums

Omnip)o(tentS Forums (http://forum.omnipotents.com/index.php)
-   Mappers' Corner (http://forum.omnipotents.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Export vehicle models to .stl (http://forum.omnipotents.com/showthread.php?t=14872)

duh 05-17-2016 04:12 AM

Export vehicle models to .stl
 
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this..

Is there a way to export vehicle models to stl format for 3d printing purposes? I can't seem to find anything on google. I use AutoCad and blender for modeling, if that helps any....

Thanks!

Terminator 05-17-2016 10:03 AM

So when I read the title of the thread, "Export vehicle models to.stl" I thought you meant Export vehicle models to St. Louis... Carry on.

Binger 05-17-2016 01:10 PM

You can export them to Blender but I forget how exactly. I just did it recently. I will figure it out tonight and post how to do it. Umake maybe? I forget the program to use but I have it and will send it to you if needed.

http://forum.omnipotents.com/showpos...7&postcount=52

duh 05-17-2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminator (Post 209167)
So when I read the title of the thread, "Export vehicle models to.stl" I thought you meant Export vehicle models to St. Louis... Carry on.


that's what i meant, Terminator. I want to ship you a real tiamat. Hope you have a big driveway! :pbbt:



Thanks Binger, I appreciate your efforts.

Lagzilla 05-17-2016 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duh (Post 209164)
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this..

Is there a way to export vehicle models to stl format for 3d printing purposes? I can't seem to find anything on google. I use AutoCad and blender for modeling, if that helps any....

Thanks!

These turn out surprisingly well, though everything I have printed has required minor tweaking. Apparently game vehicles don't translate well to reality.

I have printed weapons too, which took a decent amount of work as well.

Andrew

Lagzilla 05-17-2016 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duh (Post 209164)
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this..

Is there a way to export vehicle models to stl format for 3d printing purposes? I can't seem to find anything on google. I use AutoCad and blender for modeling, if that helps any....

Thanks!

Also, if you get stuck I can check things when I get back home... it will be a bit though.

Andrew

Binger 05-18-2016 12:21 AM

This is what I used. UModel.

http://unreal.shaungoeppinger.com/re...vertex-meshes/

I forget where to find the meshes for vehicles but let me know if you have trouble there. You will have to export all the meshes for the vehicle separately and then line them back up in Blender. I know little about Blender but it sounds like you won't have any trouble with getting them ready for printing once you get them into Blender.

This is the method I used for the character meshes, which gives you an OBJ file.

http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/Usi...aracter_meshes

Lag, have you done UT vehicles and weapons? What did you use to get them into another app?

Binger 05-22-2016 01:31 PM

Any luck on this duh? Iirc, I used the PSK models but had to use an importer with an older version of Blender since I couldn't find one for the newest one. I know I also successfully got OBJ files for the Goliath and can import those into the newest Blender. They are huge but setting scale to .01 seems about right.

Also, keep in mind that a lot of the geometry on the vehicles is implied by the textures.

duh 05-22-2016 03:37 PM

no luck yet. I think I'm being held back by my total ignorance of how Unreal works "under the skin". UE seems to support some kind of stl export, but I'm not sure how that works yet. I have found a couple models on thingiverse and such, but it would be even better if I had a way to build my own from the game. Oh well, I'll keep looking and learning! Thanks to everyone that is looking into this for me. :thumbsup:

Binger 05-22-2016 04:36 PM

Blender can export as stl so you just need to import the model into blender in any format.

What exactly are you trying to do? Just to be clear, are you trying to get a vehicle from UT2004 into an stl format so that you can 3D print it? Do you need the materials and textures? What vehicles are you trying to print? Are you having trouble exporting as obj?

GLoups! 05-22-2016 04:37 PM

If you can import 3ds format in Autocad and export to stl, may be it work:

Try this thread

Edit: or blender may be...

Sumugan 05-24-2016 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duh (Post 209164)
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this..

Is there a way to export vehicle models to stl format for 3d printing purposes? I can't seem to find anything on google. I use AutoCad and blender for modeling, if that helps any....

Thanks!

my zbrush exports .stl, fyi

duh 05-25-2016 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Binger (Post 209193)
Blender can export as stl so you just need to import the model into blender in any format.

What exactly are you trying to do? Just to be clear, are you trying to get a vehicle from UT2004 into an stl format so that you can 3D print it? Do you need the materials and textures? What vehicles are you trying to print? Are you having trouble exporting as obj?

I'd like to be able to somehow export vehicle models from unreal into my editing software, then export that to an stl or obj file for 3d printing. I don't really need textures or matrials, just a mesh. Everything I print is single color so a basic model will do.

Which vehicles do I want to print? All of them...lol...j/k. I have a grandson that I'd love to make a Hellbender for.


Quote:

Originally Posted by GLoups! (Post 209194)
If you can import 3ds format in Autocad and export to stl, may be it work:

Try this thread

Edit: or blender may be...


A quick look showed me that blender imports 3ds,obj,stl and a few others. I just need to figure out how to get the meshes (I think that's the right term) out of unreal and into one of these formats. I can export to stl format fairly easily after that. I'm going to be playing with UnrealEd as there seems to be a way to do this, I just need some more experience.



Thanks again, everyone!

duh 05-25-2016 11:15 AM

Success!! I ended up using Umodel (thanks Binger!) to export to a pskx file. I downloaded an add-on for blender that allows importing pskx files. From there I can edit and export to stl format. I haven't printed anything yet, but my printing software imported a Hellbender model correctly, so I'm pretty confident that this will work.

Thanks again to everyone that helped out. Lots of good suggestions....

duh 05-26-2016 09:30 AM



And here's the first print. Still need to play with the model some more so I can have rotating wheels and not so much support material, but I'm quite happy so far...

Terminator 05-26-2016 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duh (Post 209251)


And here's the first print. Still need to play with the model some more so I can have rotating wheels and not so much support material, but I'm quite happy so far...

I will fucking pay you to print a Leviathan and mail that shit to me!!! Can you print me two? One deployed and one undeployed? Thanks!

Miauz55555 05-26-2016 01:50 PM

Cool!
And I really like your desk/workbench.
I could imagine to put something like this on it:

duh 05-26-2016 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Terminator (Post 209254)
I will fucking pay you to print a Leviathan and mail that shit to me!!! Can you print me two? One deployed and one undeployed? Thanks!

Way ahead of ya, bro....lol


You may have to wait a bit, but I'm gonna try really hard to make this happen for ya. The problem I'm running into with these models is that every turret/moving piece is an animation and I need to figure out how to bring those over to blender. I'll get it figured out eventually...



Quote:

Originally Posted by Miauz55555 (Post 209257)
Cool!
And I really like your desk/workbench.

I could imagine to put something like this on it:


That's a pretty cool piece. Is that a terrarium inside the bulb?

Miauz55555 05-26-2016 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duh (Post 209263)
That's a pretty cool piece. Is that a terrarium inside the bulb?

Thank you.
It is and it's growing. It's filled with moss and light up with a LED. The screw is the switch.

SMOKER 05-26-2016 05:02 PM

Miauz55555 That is really cool!!! Did you buy that or make it and if you made it do you have the plans?? Really Really Cool!!!:thumbsup:

DUH that is awesome!!! I had no idea you did 3d printing I may have to talk with ya soon about a few things!!

If anyone needs a Tiamat it's Terminator that is so funny, we should start a kickstarter "Tiamat for Termi"


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2004 - 2017 Omnip)o(tentS. All rights reserved.